#1 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8002 posts) - - Show Bio

So I'm going to a big sale my comic-shop is having this weekend, and I was planing to get Batman: Death of the family.

Sadly they're missing a few issues and I'd rather wait till I can get it in TPB form and read it all the way through.

Anyway, I was wondering if a new story arc started after Death of the family so I could jump right in?

Thanks for reading. Any help would be appreciated. :)

#2 Posted by SmashBrawler (5733 posts) - - Show Bio

Zero Year is starting with issue 21. And please don't waste your money with Death of the Family.

#3 Posted by kilomac29 (323 posts) - - Show Bio

No major story arc until Zero Year starts with #21

• 18 was a Harper Row story
  • 19 was part one of a two part Clayface story
#4 Posted by End_Boss (737 posts) - - Show Bio

You should get Gotham by Gaslight instead.

#5 Posted by MrShway88 (655 posts) - - Show Bio

Some people say don't waste your money with Death of the Family. I wouldn't say you would be wasting your money since it is a good story it's just the ending is debatable. I would say that there are other arcs that are better though. I recommend War Games (it's 3 parts in tradeback) or just check out the forums. There are a few threads with great recommendations.

#6 Edited by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8002 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Edited by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8002 posts) - - Show Bio

@kilomac29:

So, I won't be lost if I pick up 18 and 19? I mean, I don't need to read anything else to fully understand it all?

#8 Posted by Vance Astro (91234 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Edited by kilomac29 (323 posts) - - Show Bio

@battle_forum_junkie: No, you won't be lost, they are stand alone stories. I would also recommend picking up Gates of Gotham in TPB by Scott Snyder and Kyle Higgins. I just finished it, really good read.

#10 Posted by JakeN7 (12449 posts) - - Show Bio

@battle_forum_junkie: No, you won't be lost, they are stand alone stories. I would also recommend picking up Gates of Gotham in TPB by Scott Snyder and Kyle Higgins. I just finished it, really good read.

Meh...definitely Snyder's weakest work. The interaction between the various members of the Bat-Family was great (I especially loved Cassandra Cain/Black Bat and Damian's dialogue), and their characterization was spot-on...but the villain was very uninteresting and had way too much backstory and buildup involved. Snyder's always been fascinated with Gotham, it's history, and the various families that built it...but I think this was the only time he missed the mark. I mean c'mon, who gives a s*** about a pair of bridge builders? It's still a great read and is by no means a bad story at all, it's just not up to the standard caliber of storytelling you'd expect from Scott Snyder (or even Kyle Higgins for that matter.)

#11 Edited by kilomac29 (323 posts) - - Show Bio

@jaken7: I'll agree that the villain was pretty weak, but I think that's why the reveal was in the last few pages. The villain wasn't the important part. I also agree that Cassandra Cain was fantastic. On the other hand, I enjoy Snyder's telling of Gotham's backstory and its powerful families. Also felt like it left you with an interesting question. Was Alan Wayne a good guy or an a-hole? Definitely not Snyder's greatest story, but worth the read. (IMO)

#12 Posted by JakeN7 (12449 posts) - - Show Bio

@jaken7: I'll agree that the villain was pretty weak, but I think that's why the reveal was in the last few pages. The villain wasn't the important part. I also agree that Cassandra Cain was fantastic. On the other hand, I enjoy Snyder's telling of Gotham's backstory and its powerful families. Also felt like it left you with an interesting question. Was Alan Wayne a good guy or an a-hole? Definitely not Snyder's greatest story, but worth the read. (IMO)

Sure the reveal was in the last few pages, but you saw it coming a mile away. But yeah...I actually agree with what you're saying. The history of Gotham that was touched upon actually was pretty interesting, just not as much as had been explored in his other work (like during the Court of Owls or even The Black Mirror to a certain extent. IMHO of course.)

#13 Posted by thejman251 (435 posts) - - Show Bio

Zero Year is starting with issue 21. And please don't waste your money with Death of the Family.

- Agreed.

#14 Posted by kilomac29 (323 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol of course.

I haven't read The Black Mirror yet so I'll agree with your opinion. at least until I do read it. :)

#15 Posted by UncleEmu (179 posts) - - Show Bio

Black Mirror is the best thing Snyder has done. Get that. Don't bother buying anything else, because nothing else comes close - except for maybe a few of the Swamp Thing issues around #10. Even there they aren't consistently good

#16 Edited by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8002 posts) - - Show Bio