Batman Death Of The Family Question.

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

So I haven't read Death in The Family but I wanted to pick up the trade paperback for it, that has the main issues. I wanted to know though are the crossover issues related to it worth reading? And how important are they to it? Are they must reads for it?

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I read none of the crossovers and I understood everything. They are not important at all. They really just provide background on something that happens in the story, but the main DOTF trade give you a shorter version of what happened, which still isn't even important. I haven't read them so I can't say if they're good or not, but its up to you if you want to read them or not, they aren't necessary.

VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope no need. The tie-ins are primarily for immersion and if you want to dig deeper in the lore of the story arc. You should be able to understand everything by just reading the main DOTF of Snyder and Capullo alone.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

I read none of the crossovers and I understood everything. They are not important at all. They really just provide background on something that happens in the story, but the main DOTF trade give you a shorter version of what happened, which still isn't even important. I haven't read them so I can't say if they're good or not, but its up to you if you want to read them or not, they aren't necessary.

Okay.
Thanks.

I just want to know if they are worth reading either because they are great and because they are important to the story.

If they aren't important to the story I'll get the trade.

HighlyEvolved

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No real need I'd say. To be honest none of them were too particularly good IMO.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No real need I'd say. To be honest none of them were too particularly good IMO.

Okay thanks.

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

The Batgirl, Nightwing and Damian ones were pretty strong though, but the problem is, none of these characters had a very strong payoff at the end. The Joker terrorizes all these characters but the ending to their individual stories are cut short, and the story concludes in the main Batman title, so you'll find yourself a little frustrated if you care about these characters. Now are they essential to the main story? No, you can read it and enjoy it without having read the tie-ins. All they do is show how they got to wherever they go in the main Batman title but that's it. But strictly from a narrative standpoint, the ones I mentioned are strong, the others are weak, but none of them have any real pay-off. If you are interested, they're selling a hard-cover edition called Death of the Family: The Joker, that includes all the DOTF tie-ins.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

Death in the Family, or Death of the Family?

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anjales said:

The Batgirl, Nightwing and Damian ones were pretty strong though, but the problem is, none of these characters had a very strong payoff at the end. The Joker terrorizes all these characters but the ending to their individual stories are cut short, and the story concludes in the main Batman title, so you'll find yourself a little frustrated if you care about these characters. Now are they essential to the main story? No, you can read it and enjoy it without having read the tie-ins. All they do is show how they got to wherever they go in the main Batman title but that's it. But strictly from a narrative standpoint, the ones I mentioned are strong, the others are weak, but none of them have any real pay-off. If you are interested, they're selling a hard-cover edition called Death of the Family: The Joker, that includes all the DOTF tie-ins.

Yeah I saw that other Joker trade. I might get it later.

@the_tree said:

Death in the Family, or Death of the Family?

Death Of The Family. Good call, edited the title.