• 78 results
Posted by giantsfan576 (1090 posts) 9 months, 24 days ago

Poll: Batman Arkham: Asylum vs City vs Origins (96 votes)

Asylum 14%
City 66%
Origins 21%

Which is your favorite?

Please state why as well.

#1 Edited by TheAcidSkull (17953 posts) - - Show Bio

asylum for me.

#2 Posted by TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642 (1988 posts) - - Show Bio

Asylum had the best story.

Origins had the best combat with some new wrinkles and more variety of enemies.

But overall the best game in the series is City.

#3 Posted by 14NC3 (1752 posts) - - Show Bio
  1. City
  2. Asylum
  3. Origins

#4 Posted by Pokeysteve (8245 posts) - - Show Bio

Having a really hard time deciding between City and Asylum. Think I'll go with City.

#6 Posted by RetconCrisis (3720 posts) - - Show Bio

City was more enjoyable.

#7 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17953 posts) - - Show Bio

City > Origins > Asylum.

you preferred origins? interesting.

If i may ask, i haven't played the game, so without spoilers, could you tell me why you enjoyed it more?

#8 Posted by Marionettegeist (1912 posts) - - Show Bio

City - Best story

Asylum - Best ambiance, and most fun to play (I don't really think the story was the best like a lot of people seem to think. It was interesting when I still wasn't sure what Joker's ultimate plan was but once I found out it became terrible cliche and anti-climactic. It didn't really have that much of a story period, it was just: Joker takes over Arkham and wants to make monsters using a modified version of Venom. He loses. The end.).

Origins - Good, but not as good as the others.

#10 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17953 posts) - - Show Bio

@citizenbane: Awesome! can't wait to play it!

just one come question, what about croc? :P was he good?

#12 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17953 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: I thought he looked better in Asylum, but he gets a decent boss fight at the start of the game.

Mhh I saw the design, and yeah,I agree.

Though he probably mutates more over the years. and I'm glad he's got a good boss fight.

#13 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (6102 posts) - - Show Bio

City > Asylum >>> Origins still a decent playable game, just doesnt live up.

#15 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

#16 Posted by Nox_Arc (195 posts) - - Show Bio

City > Origins > Asylum.

City had a good combination of characters, story and combat. Origins had the best story but lacked innovation elsewhere.

#17 Posted by _Atomikill_ (4085 posts) - - Show Bio

City by far. I didn't like Origins very well- some fights were straight out of the other 2 games.

#18 Posted by k4tzm4n (40213 posts) - - Show Bio

City has the best gameplay but I really enjoy the story in Origins.

Staff
#19 Posted by Earthquake_2123 (467 posts) - - Show Bio

City has the better overall gameplay and the Open-World environment craps on both. Asylum has the better story and I like the styling a little bit more in Asylum. However, I haven't really played Orgins, but from what I've seen in the gameplay online, it's inferior to both, but I'll reserve some judgement. For me it's still City>Asylum>Origins

#20 Posted by Zijuun (854 posts) - - Show Bio

#21 Edited by ComicStooge (12529 posts) - - Show Bio

Origins is filled with glitches and there wasn't nearly as much attention to detail.

1) City

2) Asylum

3) Origins

The game totally screwed itself up when I went to fight Deadshot, I feel through the floor in an endless loop of grey on a checkpoint, so I had to delete my save and restart. That knocks it down a peg or two in my eyes.

I personally knocked the game from a 7/10 to a 4 or 5/10.

#22 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't got around to Origins yet, but between Asylum and City....I feel Asylum has the much stronger story, atmosphere, and overall design aesthetic. But City's gameplay mechanics are definitely a lot better, and there are more exciting set pieces too.

#23 Edited by Lvenger (19256 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with City>Asylum but it seems the general gist on here is that City has the best gameplay mechanics and is the most fun to play in whilst Asylum has the superior story, tone and ambience. Origins has been getting mixed reactions which is interesting to see.

#24 Posted by patrat18 (9542 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: Origins had a really excellent portrayal of Bane. It just blew Asylum and City out of the water on that front. It generally had some good characterization for nearly everyone. The boss fights with Bane and Firefly were more thrilling than any of the boss fights from the previous two games, as far as I'm concerned.

I agree. While asylum was good, the boss fights, and story were much better than asylum.

#25 Posted by Super_Phil (117 posts) - - Show Bio

Great trilogy of games but city wins because it improved upon the most

#26 Posted by LordoftheNorth (1358 posts) - - Show Bio

City>Origins>Asylum

City was just an all around great game. Its story, boss fights, side missions, extas and game play where vastly improved over Asylum. Cant really say anything bad about the game.

Origins has some major gliches, and any villians who where not part of the main story felt underused the most wanted stuff altogher only came out to about an hour and a half of game play. Also i while the batclaw was cool during combat i dont think they really did anything interesting with it during puzzles or in the enviroment But origins made up for it with an awsome story with some great boss fights (bane and firefly) killer voice acting and being an all aroung fun game. thou it would most likely make a better movie than it did a game.

Asylum was cold and dark and everthing left so small but when you compar the two later games Asylum falls short. Boss fights are all the same the story while fun is just cliche and i cant really say i have any reason to want to play it again i mean once you've played City this game really dosnt matter besides for set up for CIty.

#27 Edited by War Killer (20125 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Arkham City - AC took everything that worked in Asylum and simply improved on that, taking the story even further and pushing the characters to their limits in terms of the sense of danger and scale of the threat. This, by far, is the best Arkham game to date and possibly one of, if not the, best superhero-based games ever.

2. Arkham Asylum - AA is simply a classic, it took everything people loved about Batman and brought it to life as players suited up as their favorite superhero and did battle with some of his greatest foes. It ushered in a new type of superhero games that wasn't tied to any movie or some cheap multiplayer, team-centered game, and gave fans a game that would make any Bat-Fan cheer.

3. Arkham Origins - While I enjoyed the story and felt that it was a nice glimpse at one of the defining moments in Batman's career, AO simply didn't bring enough new elements to make it stand out above, or even up to, its predecessor. It was a nice glimpse into Batman's early days, but the lack of improving the game following Arkham City and simply reusing many elements from Arkham City, ultimately this made it impossible for this AO to standout on its own, thus being my least favorite of the Arkham Series.

#28 Posted by Back_stabbath95 (170 posts) - - Show Bio

I say city then origins then asylum. Idk why people are bashing on origins so bad besides the crashing ( it gets annoying) other than that it was fantastic and didn't have to do with the population being drugged with ultra steroids which I was fond of. It was assassins coming after him until joker came into the story. Then it kind of changed but by far city is the vest of them all

#29 Edited by Alexander505 (2144 posts) - - Show Bio

Origins

City

Asylum

#30 Posted by modernww2fare (1065 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't played Origins or Asylum, only City. So I can't really say which one is the best yet.

#31 Posted by PunyParker (9628 posts) - - Show Bio

Arkham Asylum is my favorite.
City is a gaming masterpiece.
Origins is a delicate,well crafted money grabber...

#32 Posted by PunyParker (9628 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Arkham City - AC took everything that worked in Asylum and simply improved on that, taking the story even further and pushing the characters to their limits in terms of the sense of danger and scale of the threat. This, by far, is the best Arkham game to date and possibly one of, if not the, best superhero-based games ever.

Don't be affraid,say it......it IS the best superhero game ever created.
And one of the best 3A third person action games in general.I put Asylum in there too.

#33 Posted by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

Well from a gameplay standpoint I enjoy Arkham Asylum the most. From a narrative point of view I kind of enoyed Origins the most. But that's probably because I find the dynamic between Batman, the GCPD and Gotham to be way more interesting when he's just starting out than when he's been at it for a while. I probably like Arkham City overall the least.

#34 Edited by toplel (906 posts) - - Show Bio

Origins certainly had the best character designs. The Joker sequences were also excellent. And it was good filler with a great story and boss fights, but the bugs really killed it.

Its hard to pick a winner, but I'll go for City overall.

#35 Edited by Commander_Kane (715 posts) - - Show Bio

How were the Arkham City Nightwing and Robin packs? I never did get around to playing. Kind've ran myself dry on the game then got back into Skyrim for a while and I finally picked up city to play again.

#36 Posted by War Killer (20125 posts) - - Show Bio

How were the Arkham City Nightwing and Robin packs? I never did get around to playing. Kind've ran myself dry on the game then got back into Skyrim for a while and I finally picked up city to play again.

Those DLC packs are fun, both Robin and Nightwing play very differently than Batman and have there own set of gadgets and special combos. The downside is that you can only play as them in the challenge maps, but even then I still found them fun to play as.

#37 Posted by SupBatz (1729 posts) - - Show Bio

City > Origins > Asylum for me.

#38 Posted by leonkarlen123 (4374 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked the story of arkham city best. asylum was not much to do. just hunt joker in a prison but otigins looks awesome and it got mods so i will buy that

#39 Posted by w0nd (3264 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked the story of arkham city best. asylum was not much to do. just hunt joker in a prison but otigins looks awesome and it got mods so i will buy that

it has so many game breaking bugs. Wait for a price drop or youtube the bugs first lol. Some are so damn annoying and really could have been avoided with better testing.

#40 Posted by nightwing817 (264 posts) - - Show Bio

Asylum had the best story, but the worst gameplay. Origins had a great story and gameplay, but the bugs and other issues made the experience less enjoyable than it should have been, and it was missing a sense of epic ness towards the middle and end. City overall was a perfect mesh of the two. It had great gameplay, and a great story to go along with it. I stayed engaged in the story and the immersive gameplay. I replayed city over 15 times because it was so good. Overall I would say City>Asylum>origins.

They are all great games and some of the best I've ever played.

#41 Posted by modernww2fare (1065 posts) - - Show Bio
#42 Edited by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

@modernww2fare: Because I think the story is the most forgettable and the open world was a step back from the smaller more focused world in Arkham Asylum.

#43 Posted by modernww2fare (1065 posts) - - Show Bio

@modernww2fare: Because I think the story is the most forgettable and the open world was a step back from the smaller more focused world in Arkham Asylum.

I thought the story was the absolute best! Stopping protocol 10 and saving yourself and gotham from Joker's virus! C'mon dude, how is that forgettable?? Open world lets you roam a lot more! If you're into that claustrophobic-type game style then I can see why you prefer Asylum

#44 Posted by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not claustrophobic it's just more focused on a smaller area. There's a lot of clever backtracking in AA that isn't in Arkham City. But I'm probably just biased as I'm not big into open world games unlike most people.

#45 Posted by Scarecrow64 (3 posts) - - Show Bio

1. A.O.

2. A.A.

3. A.C.

#46 Posted by modernww2fare (1065 posts) - - Show Bio

1. A.O.

2. A.A.

3. A.C.

In chronological order you mean.

#47 Posted by Jokerpoker (2951 posts) - - Show Bio

Origins, it has a bunch of cool villains.

#48 Posted by PunyParker (9628 posts) - - Show Bio

I compeletely disagree on both aspects :P

Challenge maps....nothing more.

Lame,i know.

#49 Posted by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

@punyparker: Makes sense. I mean open world games are usually big sellers. Seems like rpg elements and open world elements are creeping into most games. The only open world games I really enjoy anymore are Bethesda's games.

#50 Posted by PunyParker (9628 posts) - - Show Bio

@punyparker: Makes sense. I mean open world games are usually big sellers. Seems like rpg elements and open world elements are creeping into most games. The only open world games I really enjoy anymore are Bethesda's games.

AND Spider-Man 2....you cant deny we enjoyed the hell out of this,back in '04!...i think it was the 1st superhero game,which tried open world.(?)

I liked the open world,because they filled it with intetresting stuff!....the side missions were top noch,and the world had a detail,for praise.As of story,if you play it without seing any internet walkthrough or anything,it's breathtaking.....i played it the second time,and still had some anticipation about what Protocol 10 was gonna be! :P

And of cource both of them(excluding Origins) are EXTREMELLY replay-able....