• 59 results
#1 Posted by opelfl9201 (55 posts) - - Show Bio

And I am not asking for any type of comparison to Nolan's take on Batman, or any other actor to potray Batman.

I get that Burton's first Batman movie was responsible for saving Batman from the Adam West image, and that he made Batman dark and mainstream. And as a huge Batman fan, I am completely thankful for that. But that is the only thing Burton deserves credit for.

His Batman movies were horrible adaptions of Batman. He got all of the characters wrong, understood virtually nothing about the character, and missed every single aspect of what makes Batman great. Burton casted Micheal Keaton as Batman, who was all wrong for the part of Batman, and nothing but a comedian at the time. He also made the villains the focus of his movies, made the Joker the killer of Bruce Wayne, and had Batman killing.

His Batman movies also had ridiculously campy moments like the Joker dancing to Prince music in Batman (1989), and rocket-wielding penguins shooting up in the air in Batman Returns (1992).

Burton's problem to me, was that he made Batman dark, but forgot to make it Batman at the same time.

So does anyone else feel the same way about Tim Burton's Batman?

#2 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6259 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's overrated. Not horrible, but a lot worse than people claim it is. They had some great moments, but in my eyes those were somewhat overshadowed by the incredible amount of cheesiness and dark for the sake of dark.

#3 Edited by batmannflash (6210 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that they were overrated. I wouldn't agree with you that they were horrible, though...

Keaton was alright as Batman. To me, Nicholson wasn't as good as he's made out to be, but he was still okay. Danny DeVito played a good "monstrous" Penguin. However, I prefer a sane, gentleman-like Penguin. Pfeiffer was a good Catwoman but Burton put a little too much fantasy into her. The movies were great for its time and are still fun to watch, but I think that they were overrated.

I have a complaint that Burton didn't really seem to focus much on Batman, despite him being the main character. The movies were more focused on the villains, and we got a lack of depth to Bruce Wayne.

However, it still had an amazing soundtrack, solid acting (acting not as good as Nolan's, imo), and a few memorable moments. They are still the best Batman movies (by far) under the Nolan trilogy, in my opinion.

#4 Posted by Bluff_ (283 posts) - - Show Bio

Liked Burton's Batman and everything you listed as a problem was either an opinion or a debatable statement at best.

Also, I know you didn't want to talk about comparisons with Nolan's Batman, but since you pretty much listed a few things that can also be stated about Nolan's work, I think it should be said.

Batman in Begins let Ra's Al Ghul die. That's basically the same as killing him IMO. You also said that Burton centered his films on Batman's rogue gallery. Again, Nolan's main focus in his films (maybe with the exception of Begins) was mostly focused on his villains.

Now, do I think Burton created a Batman masterpiece? No, not at all, BUT I don't think Nolan or anyone else for that matter has or probably ever will.

#5 Posted by Blackdog2009 (1820 posts) - - Show Bio

To claim that "he didn't get Batman" is pure hyperbole. Burton is a very smart director. He knew perfectly what Batman was all about. Just that he Burtonized him. And at the time it was kind if awesome. And he got many things right...

1. Made the Joker funny but at the same time, disturbingly scary.

2. The Batmobile was perfect.

3. Wayne Mansion was perfect, huge, ominous, sad yet majestic.

4. Gotham city was really gothic and very visual and unique.

5. Keaton was a good Bruce Wayne, serious, aloof, but not really clueless if you looked close enough.

The bad...

1. The Batman suit looked great but the movement was stiff, and looked really uncomfortable.

2. Jack Nicholson looked fat.

3. Not enough Batman.

4. Alfred sucked, he was too damn old!

P.s.: sad I never got to see Billy Dee Williams as TwoFace if indeed that's where Burton was going with him. I thought that was a nice touch, having a slightly different Harvey Dent.

#6 Posted by JediXMan (30198 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's a great film for its time. It's certainly been surpassed, but it's not by any means horrible.

#7 Posted by Husk (434 posts) - - Show Bio

He didn't Get Batman???

read more Golden Age Batman, and it will all fall into place....sure he took a few liberties, and they weren't all good... but most of his liberties were made in an effort to make it more cinematic...therefore enjoyable by a wide audience... not just the rather small comic book crowd.

1. The Setting was beautifull... it screamed Gotham
  2. the Batsuit may be big and clunky, but he was making a concerted attempt to pull away from The Adam West Spandex that would be ridicules to fight crime in
  3. The bat Mobile...there will never be a better batmobile in a live action movie ever....sure the nolan mobile looked cool, and was more functional... but the Burtonmobile...rocked.
  4. I liked alfred, when alfred is, or acts, too young, it puts me off...he could have been a little younger.... but than you wouldn't have such an amazing actor portraying him.
  5. Joker.... until Ledger... this was one of the best Joker's out there, sure it wasn't perfect... but he was funny...he was disturbing, and he was a little scary
  6. WAIT you didn't like penguins with rockets attatched to them??? you gonna complain about Sharks with "Lasers" attatched to their heads? I liked penguin... not as good as Joker... but he was a true villain...The Audience KNEW this monster couldn't be a good guy, and the gothamites were seduced by a semi Lex Luthoresque plan. plus again.... this is closer to a Golden Age Penguin than a silver or bronze.
  7. Removal of a Joe Chill... at that time No one knew who the hell that guy was.... totally agree with that one... by setting up the villain as the continuous villain made it significantly more cinematic...would I agree with doing that for a batman movie done in 2015....NEVER... people are more knowledgable about batmans past now and it wouldn't fly these days.. (so yeah that concept is a little dated)

in closing.... if you are younger than 30, and you didn't think it was as great as it gets cloat for, thats fine, I won't fault you for that....we grew up with two different batmans, and for the older crowd, Burton was what finally set things right...it wasn't awful though. if you are under 20, you think its awful and Star Wars the Empire Strikes Back is the worse Star Wars movie because its the most Borringest one.....get a few years behind the ears, your list of likes and dislikes will change... and you should look at the movie a little better later..

IF you are older than 20 and still hate the burton movies, AND think Empire was the Worse Star Wars Movie!!!! than this conversation is over, theres no saving you.

#8 Edited by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

You are the one human being on the face of the planet who did not enjoy Tim Burton's Batman.

You are alone. You wander the endless plains of a Burtonite dystopia.

You search for someone who shares your view. Anyone.

You are alone.

#9 Posted by WillPayton (9333 posts) - - Show Bio

Burton's Batman is a strange combination of dark and cartoony... something that maybe only Burton could have pulled off. It works, but only as far as you accept what it is. I prefer the Nolan movies, although not so much the 3rd one.

#10 Posted by M3th (2075 posts) - - Show Bio

Hated tHe Penguin, can tell ya tHat mucH.

June'sVeryOwn

#11 Edited by MatteoPG (1927 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree that he changed a lot of things to suit his own tastes, but that's within the director's rights. You shouldn't judge a movie by how good a comic book it would be. It's a movie, an adaptation. There is virtually no comic book movie who didn't change this or that thing heavily, and some are still considered pretty good (like Batman Begins, Dark Knight, Man Of Steel, Spider man, Avengers).

The Tim Burton movies, if taken by themselves, were actually pretty good, with a nice, if slightly weird, narrative. If you watch them in the context of comic book history, there can be a reason for a lot of changes. I don't agree with most, and I don't like that he dipped into the Golden Age, since it was the 80's, but that is his right as a director.

#12 Posted by The Stegman (23790 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked the first one (still pales in comparison to Nolan's though) but I hate Returns.

#13 Edited by Bierschneeman (3930 posts) - - Show Bio

@opelfl9201: no noone thinks that.

first of all despite not being in the film enough, that was one of the best batman's there has been, keep in mind its not contemporary.

Nolan's Batman is Contemporary, kind of similar to bronze or copper age batman...but its very different from the comic in interpretation.

Adam West was also contemporary, based off the silver aged batman that was appearing in the comics at the time. as well batman forever and batman and robin were also based on silverage batman (i don't like all three mind you)

that makes Burton's batman kind of unique, he is a golden age batman in the middle of nowhere, a throw back, the last time golden age batman hit a mainstream audience was 1949 (batman and robin) and the last time it was done successfully was 194-3? (batman) theres a large gap of exposure, so most people don't see it, but Burton made a perfect golden age batman, given I hated keaton as brucer wayne, thats where its really apparent, he did a perfect golden age bruce wayne,....and you saw campy from joker... I saw old school comic joker back...joker was that campy in the comic at first, a little creepy., a lot of campy

so just read golden age batman..... and all the sudden your arguments melt away into retractions

#14 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

You are the one human being on the face of the planet who did not enjoy Tim Burton's Batman.

You are alone.

"You're just one man?"

"Now we're two."

But yeah....I never saw it as a kid, and watching it now, I can't really get into it. Not that it's necessarily a bad movie - it just feels somewhat dated to me - but then again, I do enjoy the Reeve Superman movies.

#15 Edited by opelfl9201 (55 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

@innervenom123 said:

You are alone.

"You're just one man?"

"Now we're two."

But yeah....I never saw it as a kid, and watching it now, I can't really get into it. Not that it's necessarily a bad movie - it just feels somewhat dated to me - but then again, I do enjoy the Reeve Superman movies.

Same here.

Maybe if I grew up with Tim Burton's Batman movies, I would have a different view on them, but I didn't.

#16 Posted by opelfl9201 (55 posts) - - Show Bio

You are alone.

Yeah, whatever idiot.

#17 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@innervenom123 said:

You are alone.

Yeah, whatever idiot.

Yikes, relax friend, he's just pulling your leg. It's his thing.

#18 Edited by MonsterStomp (16692 posts) - - Show Bio

Burton is a wack job.

#19 Posted by Squares (5248 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like Tim Burton, so no, I didn't like Burton's Batman films.

#20 Posted by Fallschirmjager (16306 posts) - - Show Bio

All of them were mediocre or worse.

#21 Posted by RogueShadow (10241 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't like them at all, I didn't felt they caught the ton of any of the comics at all. Nolan's Batman is still the best, it's rife with flaws and it's not perfect, but it's the best in my opinion.

#22 Posted by Batmanx2005 (375 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't like joker because his past is misleading. Which burton thinks its base on killing joke but it nots. Frist jack Napier or joker was a failed comedian then became red hood. And fall in a vat of chemicals

#23 Posted by TDSOTMFLTA94 (34 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with you. I didn't really like Tim Burton's Batman either.

I understand that they were great for their time and the important impact they made on the superhero genre, but its 2013, and it is time for people to take off the nostalgia blinders and stop pretending his Batman movies were ever good.

#24 Posted by opelfl9201 (55 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with you. I didn't really like Tim Burton's Batman either.

I understand that they were great for their time and the important impact they made on the superhero genre, but its 2013, and it is time for people to take off the nostalgia blinders and stop pretending his Batman movies were ever good.

#25 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@innervenom123 said:

You are alone.

Yeah, whatever idiot.

It's normal to feel desperate. To cling to some long forgotten hope.

Outcasts all feel this way.

#26 Posted by Saren (25574 posts) - - Show Bio

@opelfl9201: No name-calling. This is your second warning from a moderator in less than two days.

#27 Posted by Ninjablade09 (3145 posts) - - Show Bio

@husk: think Empire was the Worse Star Wars Movie!!!!

Thinking Empire is the worst Star Wars movie is just wrong, that's not natural.

#28 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (10113 posts) - - Show Bio

The Christopher Nolan movie I thought was actually really good. He really captured the ‘real’ spirit that these kind of movies are supposed to have nowadays. When I did BATMAN 20 years ago, in 1988 or something, it was a different time in comic book movies. You couldn't go into that ‘dark side’ of comics yet. The last couple of years that has become acceptable and Nolan certainly got more to the root of what the Batman comics are about.

Tim Burton said this.

http://www.batman-on-film.com/burton-talks-batman-in-amsterdam_4-13-08.html

Gotham cames from Art Deco designs, based on this period, sure with time got thing from artists, based on the miskate of the name, Gotham gets from old Goats town an irish way to say town of simpletons, the idea of Gotham is to look like a terrible version of New York that used to be Gotham in the past.

Golden Age Batman was terribly more reallistic that people want to remember, many people confuse the original concept of Batman with Silver Age or dont know it, Batman was a regular human facing regular villains, The Joker was a normal person with Make Up, Jerry Robinson Concept was exactly like Heath Ledger version this based on the factk Robinson was part of TDK crew, The Pinguin was a thief that had problem with childrens for his looks, still he was a normal person his childhoos was normal, Catwoman never had cat powers, she use to have amnesia and say cats were her only memory, years later its fixed she run away of her abusive husband, with years they became more nuts with time, but this based on the fact Batman now was friend with Superman and reallism was take out of the window.

Amazingly people can cry everything they want about Schumacher, but Harvey has the same origin, Frezze has the same origin and Poison Ivy origin story has Flonoric Man in it.

The Joker motivation was to have sex, he was Jack Napier pretty much all the movie, he never changes in the movie and his motivation look to be the same, this is one of those roles where Jack Nicholson decide to by himself and never try to do any acting at all.

Returns storylines is exactly like one episode of the Adam West show, when The Pinguin tries to be mayor and try to make Batman look bad, they take the same plot, but made it more insane and over the top.

To be honest, i think Guillermo Del Toro Hellboy is actually a better example of how Batman movies should be that Burton.

#29 Posted by Omnicrono (1732 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't mind his version of Batman.

Thought he and Nicholson gave us the best version of Joker, however.

#30 Posted by silent_bomber (1597 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Tim Burton's Batman movies are hugely underrated.

These films remain my favourite Batman movies, and by no small margin.

#31 Posted by Wolverine08 (40727 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't mind his version of Batman.

Thought he and Nicholson gave us the best version of Joker, however.

No, no, no! :D

#32 Posted by Husk (434 posts) - - Show Bio

@husk: think Empire was the Worse Star Wars Movie!!!!

Thinking Empire is the worst Star Wars movie is just wrong, that's not natural.

exactly my point. but people who think that are out there... and they make me cry..

#33 Edited by DeathpooltheT1000 (10113 posts) - - Show Bio

Something i love is the closet Tim Burton fans, obviously they dont like Batman, because well, they dont like any other movies and dont like the Adam West show.

Since Burton today has show he never evolved and unidimensional he actually was by the fact his movies were all the same and his style never changed even when the movie require it, people now have to hide as Batman fans and keep loving " the real Batman movies" and hating anything that is not Burton.

Joel Schumacher movies could be terrible, but i mean Bob Haney Batman was doing things like that, i mean Bob Haney has to be one of the best Batman writers of all time, his work is wildy underrated and got hate by people that is keep living in the 80s Batman.

Because if Burton did the same to Batman he did with Planet of The Apes and Dark Shadows, it means is not he got worst, he was stale since the start and some people cant live with the fact the people they admire in the 80s and 90s werent as good as they belive and couldt keep the pace with times.

Sorry if you dont like the other live action Batmens, if you think only Burton was true to the character and fill the past with a Burtonized past that actually never was.

News Flash you are a Burton fan, not a Batman fan.

Even Burton itself say it.

The Christopher Nolan movie I thought was actually really good. He really captured the ‘real’ spirit that these kind of movies are supposed to have nowadays. When I did BATMAN 20 years ago, in 1988 or something, it was a different time in comic book movies. You couldn't go into that ‘dark side’ of comics yet. The last couple of years that has become acceptable and Nolan certainly got more to the root of what the Batman comics are about.

http://www.batman-on-film.com/burton-talks-batman-in-amsterdam_4-13-08.html

Burton can deal with the past and dont need to change it, thats because he cant change the past, he cant change Batman history and he cant change who he is.

He lives with it, his fans in the other hand cant deal with it.

Thats why i like Burton, he admits his Batman wasnt that much like comic book Batman and admits his movies werent the ultimate comic book movies, like his fans keep saying.

#34 Posted by silent_bomber (1597 posts) - - Show Bio

Something i love is the closet Tim Burton fans, obviously they dont like Batman, because well, they dont like any other movies and dont like the Adam West show.

Dude, most of what you say is incorrect, get over it some people just prefer Burton's movies.

Golden Age Batman was terribly more reallistic that people want to remember, many people confuse the original concept of Batman with Silver Age or dont know it, Batman was a regular human facing regular villains.

Batman fought werewolves and vampires in like his fourth appearance.

Batman fought huge mad scientist monsters made by Hugo Strange in his 10th odd appearance.

The Joker was a normal person with Make Up.

The Joker was never portrayed as a normal guy with make-up in comics.

The Joker's Acid bath origin happened during the Golden Age anyway.

Catwoman said she had nine lives during the Golden Age and the plot ended up ambiguous

Penguin strapped explosives to Penguin's backs during the golden age

-------------------------------------

Furthermore, first you say Burton knows nothing about Batman comics, but then when he says he thinks Nolan's films were more accurate suddenly he's the expert on Batman?! Tim Burton did not write his Batman movies, he's a director.

Ra's Al Ghul did not train Batman, Ra's is a mystical guy who's 100s of years old, Henri Ducard is not one of Ra's identities, he's a completely unrelated French character who trained Bruce as a detective. His name is pronounced "Raysh" .

Scarecrow did not have dealings with Ra's, Scarecrow was a college professor out for revenge

Zsasz was not a hitman for the mob, he was a serial killer.

Joker was not involved in Two-Face's origin, Two Face had acid thrown in his face in court, he didn't fall in petrol (or whatever) whilst tied to a chair, Two-Face had a split personality, he didn't just have a mental breakdown.

Talia was dedicated to Batman, he met her before he met Ra's.

etc, etc

All of these films have a ton of inaccuracies.

#35 Edited by DeathpooltheT1000 (10113 posts) - - Show Bio

@silent_bomber: Joel Schumacher was like the Silver Age.

Adam West too.

Nolan try to made Batman more like the Superman movies(He said this in the past).

Burton made him like his movies.

The Burtonization of Batman past is there, people say he was never like Adam West or Joel Schumacher, people often dont remember the funny years of Batman.

So they do with Golden Age and make it even bigger that it was.

Killer Croc only had a skin problem.

People often dont remember Batman wasnt so rich.

Some people like Burton more, i get it, but i dont get you only like Burton and dont like any other Batman version.

Also i dont remember The Joker having that origin in number 1, where he during one part looks like a normal human and was using a cop suit.

#36 Edited by silent_bomber (1597 posts) - - Show Bio

@silent_bomber: Some people like Burton more, i get it, but i dont get you only like Burton and dont like any other Batman version.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't have a problem with Dark Knight or Batman Begins, I just don't love them.

I like the tragic villains/pathos elements in Batman. To be honest I like the animated series better than any of the films, specifically episodes like Heart of Ice, House and Garden, Perchance to Dream, Feat of Clay, Birds of a Feather, and Mad Love.

Other than that I liked the humourous episodes like the Man who Killed Batman, Joker's Favour etc.

Generally I'm the same with the comics, I'm more of a fan of Two-Face: Eye of the Beholder, Strange Apparitions, Clayface III stories, Going Sane etc than the big action stories.

@silent_bomber: Also i dont remember The Joker having that origin in number 1, where he during one part looks like a normal human and was using a cop suit.

I think he's just covering up his face as a disguise (he has a mustache in that scene too).

Either way I haven't seen it mentioning him wearing white make-up, he's never really shown without a white face, and his Golden Age origin is as you saw, that his face was bleached in chemicals.

#37 Posted by Dud317 (287 posts) - - Show Bio

In a recent Fatman on Batman, Kevin Smith did a commentary on Burton's Batman. Originally a huge fan, he found a lot of issues with it that I also agree with. I originally loved the movie but here's some of the argument.

Batman doesn't really "save" anyone, rather he swoops in, too late.

The movie focuses on Vicky Vale way too much.

Batman can't shoot Joker with the Batplane, yet Joker shoots him down with a gun.

They never said that Joker actually killed anyone with the poison.

Alfred can't keep a secret and is the worst butler of all time.

There are more but these are the ones that stuck out. He does argue that with nothing else remotely close to a Batman movie, in a time when comics weren't taken seriously, that it was a pioneering movie and the closest anyone would get. Not to sound like I can't formulate my own opinion, but I agree on pretty much his whole assessment. I still enjoy it, but a lot of what the OP is saying is pretty accurate.

#38 Edited by Marionettegeist (1912 posts) - - Show Bio

@dud317 said:

In a recent Fatman on Batman, Kevin Smith did a commentary on Burton's Batman. Originally a huge fan, he found a lot of issues with it that I also agree with. I originally loved the movie but here's some of the argument.

Batman doesn't really "save" anyone, rather he swoops in, too late.

The movie focuses on Vicky Vale way too much.

Batman can't shoot Joker with the Batplane, yet Joker shoots him down with a gun.

They never said that Joker actually killed anyone with the poison.

Alfred can't keep a secret and is the worst butler of all time.

There are more but these are the ones that stuck out. He does argue that with nothing else remotely close to a Batman movie, in a time when comics weren't taken seriously, that it was a pioneering movie and the closest anyone would get. Not to sound like I can't formulate my own opinion, but I agree on pretty much his whole assessment. I still enjoy it, but a lot of what the OP is saying is pretty accurate.

In the final scene, or earlier in the movie? Because I remember them reporting a few Joker-toxin related deaths on the news in one part.

The Burton movies aren't my favorite movies, but they're OK. They're defiantly overrated, but they're still enjoyable to watch.

#39 Posted by SoA (4772 posts) - - Show Bio

i grew up with these movies so im naturally biased, they were great , we havent had a better catwoman (hathaway sucks, you cannot convince me otherwise) or penguin(only time he was ever been close to cool was batman returns) and there were no bat-nipples or alicia silverstone as batgirl (blech)

#40 Edited by DeathpooltheT1000 (10113 posts) - - Show Bio

Also for some reason people keep telling this movies were more about Batman.

So far Batman Begins is the only Batman movie about Batman.

89 was about The Joker and Vicky Vale.

Returns was about Walken, his son that is Zangief(He is the actor that played Zangief in the SF movie) playing Walken,Catwoman and The Pinguin.

Forever was about Dick Grayson.

Batman and Robin was about Batgirl and Alfred, you would belive it would be about the guys on the tittle.

Batman Begins is about Batman and Gordon.

TDK was about The Joker and Two Faces, 2 movies about The Joker and people ask me why i dont wnat to see this guy again in a long time.

TDKR is about Ras, Catwoman and Robin.

The Final count.

The Joker has 2.

Robin has 2.

Catwoman has 2.

Poor Batman he cant be the star of his own movies.

Also and people ask me why i dont want to see Robin in the Batman movies, he is your father and you make his movies be all about you, what a Dick... Grayson he is.

#41 Posted by Marionettegeist (1912 posts) - - Show Bio

Also for some reason people keep telling this movies were more about Batman.

So far Batman Begins is the only Batman movie about Batman.

89 was about The Joker and Vicky Vale.

Returns was about Walken, his son that is Zangief(He is the actor that played Zangief in the SF movie) playing Walken,Catwoman and The Pinguin.

Forever was about Dick Grayson.

Batman and Robin was about Batgirl and Alfred, you would belive it would be about the guys on the tittle.

Batman Begins is about Batman and Gordon.

TDK was about The Joker and Two Faces, 2 movies about The Joker and people ask me why i dont wnat to see this guy again in a long time.

TDKR is about Ras, Catwoman and Robin.

The Final count.

The Joker has 2.

Robin has 2.

Catwoman has 2.

Poor Batman he cant be the star of his own movies.

Also and people ask me why i dont want to see Robin in the Batman movies, he is your father and you make his movies be all about you, what a Dick... Grayson he is.

I'm sorry but that's ridiculous. The Dark Knight Rises was very much about Batman, and not really about Catwoman at all. The Dark Knight was less about Batman than Rises, and Begins, and I can understand how you would say it was just about the Joker, but it's not like it wasn't about Batman at all or anything. Batman was still the main character, and the movie focused on him. How would you expect them to establish the Joker and Two-face in this movie, without having to devote a lot of screen time to the two?

#42 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (10113 posts) - - Show Bio

@dctv3363: Soi was right about the pre Nolan ones?

#43 Edited by Marionettegeist (1912 posts) - - Show Bio

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

@dctv3363: Soi was right about the pre Nolan ones?

Defiantly Batman and Robin, and Forever, in my opinion anyway. I need to rewatch '89 and Returns.

#44 Edited by Bruxae (13181 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, they were pretty damn bad.

#45 Edited by RustyRoy (11895 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked them very much.

#46 Edited by jumpstart55 (2274 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought Burtons Batman films were great films, same goes for the Nolan trilogy.

The campiness just added to the films quality.

And the films score was just suburb.

The only thing i didnt really like about the films, was the Penguin, he was just to disgusting for my taste. I would of preferred the classic more refined monocle wearing wisecracking interpretation.

But other then that the films were great.

#47 Edited by Gordyman (603 posts) - - Show Bio

The Burton/Schumaker series was absolute trash, I don't see how anyone could have liked those movies. The first two movies were ok for the time that they came out, but they have not aged well and are a campy mess. Nolan finally got Batman right which is why his Batman series will always be the best.

#48 Posted by leonkarlen123 (4266 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the Burton movies, they bring more fantasy...

#49 Posted by SilverPool (1347 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the Burton movies but the portrayal of Batman was kind of poor

#50 Posted by Hoplite91 (78 posts) - - Show Bio

Amazing visual style, bad characterization.