This may be an unpopular opinion but it's how I feel

noj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By noj

I like both of them but I would give the edge to Earth One. Its just a more complete story since the unfortunate delay/cancellation of All Star

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

@noj: I hated Earth one. Gary frank is the reason I haven't thrown it away

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

Oh my god what are you smoking.... (Kidding..but still)

Earth One isn't all that great... BUT YOU'RE COMPARING IT TO ASBAR:TBW!!! The worst "comic" EVER CREATED!

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tough call but.... I might agree, after all, All Star had one of the sexiest sex scenes between Batman and BC drawn by JIM LEE!!!

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By LordoftheNorth

i say they are equaly bad .All star is f***ing crazy but has great art, and earth one has one major issue that ruins the whole book. I dont mind that he isnt the greatest at anything or realy all that good at anything for that matter. My problem is that the story isnt about justice its about revenge and since bruce is really not that great of a person this makes him completely unlikeable. Ya he still has batman not using guns(which really dosnt make sense in this story) and at the end of the story he does have him continue being batman but it feels more like hes saying "well i have a suit so might as well keep going" instead of you know just wanting to help people.

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muyjingo: hes first book is actually aright but i cant defend hes second book maybe he will get it right with lucky number three

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By AllStarSuperman

I enjoyed earth One a lot. havet read allstar though, I might do it today.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

the only redeeming thing about All Star was the art...the story and Batman's portrayal are absolutely horrible....I have never liked Miller's Batman...he comes off as a psychopath

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LordoftheNorth
PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PeppeyHare

I liked Earth one and I think ASBAR is one of the worst comics ever lol

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By lifeofvibe

I love batman earth one and all star!!!!!!!!!! None of you can say this because You all are closeted All star batman lovers!!!!!!!!!!!

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love batman earth one and all star!!!!!!!!!! None of you can say this because You all are closeted All star batman lovers!!!!!!!!!!!

Well that's a bold statement.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked Earth one and I think ASBAR is one of the worst comics ever lol

i disagree. as its own universe Allstar is very good imo. it was cool to see a Batman that kills and was crazy. I thought Earth One was an abomination and i cant believe they let a guy who openly hates batman write it.

im not closeted. I loved Allstar

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: He doesn't hate Batman. Just because people may not like the way he writes him, does not mean Geoff Johns hates him.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: He doesn't hate Batman. Just because people may not like the way he writes him, does not mean Geoff Johns hates him.

actions speak louder than words.

Kangaxx_54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Kangaxx_54

ASBAR is so much better than Earth One that it isn't funny. Not that I think ASBAR is actually good, but Crazy Steve is just so goddamn hilarious. It's like watching a complete train wreck on film. It's wrong, but entertaining.

Earth One is just stupid, ineffectual Steve flailing around.

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for thefirstlantern
TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I haven't read any of these titles.

HighlyEvolved

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Disliked Earth One. Batman just seemed like a complete jerk. All Star is cool if you don't look at it as canon.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RustyRoy

I think All Star has become a cult hit.

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

When it comes to quality of story Earth One. Both have an incredible mis-characterization of their protagonist but at the very least the supporting cast in Earth One is written well and the story makes enough sense. That being said I probably personally prefer All-Star because it didn't horrendously nerf Batman and I have a biased need to see my favorite character kick ass.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When it comes to quality of story Earth One. Both have an incredible mis-characterization of their protagonist but at the very least the supporting cast in Earth One is written well and the story makes enough sense. That being said I probably personally prefer All-Star because it didn't horrendously nerf Batman and I have a biased need to see my favorite character kick ass.

i could beat EO batman in a fight

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By lifeofvibe
RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By RisingBean

@sog7dc said:

Would it be wrong to say I think your feelings are broken?

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: I know right? That pissed off, oh well it was made for a different target audience than me is all. All the people who want to see Batmann continue to do nothing in Justice League and get continuously mocked by Hal Jordan for not having any powers.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

Would it be wrong to say I think your feelings are broken?

may i ask why?

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: I know right? That pissed off, oh well it was made for a different target audience than me is all. All the people who want to see Batmann continue to do nothing in Justice League and get continuously mocked by Hal Jordan for not having any powers.

superman earth one didnt offend me. Batman Earth One did. Lets just say that geoff johns doesnt hate batman.....even still he CLEARLY is not the choice to write a batman title based soley upon his track record with the character. His writing of Batman is wholly disapproved by the majority of batman fans ive interacted with. so why would dc choose him to write a batman title?????

ColonelRunAway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

It's like saying you'd rather be kicked in the balls than punched in the stomach.

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By PapiNacho

@sog7dc: Yeah, I personally loved Superman Earth One which just added to my disappointment. I think John's just doesn't believe in Batman, you need a certain suspension of disbelief to write a human character who keeps up with the JL. His attempt to write Batman are probably just his personal vision of what the character should be like. Also he is CCO at DC so nobody has to choose him to do anything he can write what he wants. To be honest I won't be really offended until Johns puts him in JL Earth One thus implying that his Batman is about as usefull as the real Batman. As to why he would work in AO I am clueless.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: No reason other then I disagree. I think All Star is not so much a deconstruction as it is a spit in the face by Frank Miller and one of the reasons I don't think he is relevant anymore. While Earth 1 may not have been the predator we know Batman to be the story was something I enjoyed. And it has room to improve. Bruce can get better tactics, gear and training. All Star Goddamned Batman is rotten to the core. There is no redemption for him. He is a sad caricature who became what our Batman would fight against to the end.

I suppose I could sum it up to Miller's Batman isn't Batman. He's just wearing the skin.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: Yeah, I personally loved Superman Earth One which just added to my disappointed. I think John's just doesn't believe in Batman, you need a certain suspension of disbelief to write a human character who keeps up with the JL. His attempt to write Batman are probably just his personal vision of what the character should be like. Also he is CCO at DC so nobody has to choose him to do anything he can write what he wants. To be honest I won't be really offended until Johns puts him in JL Earth One thus implying that his Batman is about as usefull as the real Batman. As to why he would work in AO I am clueless.

oh joy.....

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@risingbean: i agree with you on ASBAR but the problem with Earth one isnt that his batman isnt that good at anything. Its that Bruce dosnt want to become batman so he can stop what happened to him from happening to anyone else but so he can get revenge, and that pushes a character that is kind of a douche to some one who is completely unlikable.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

You people make me feel bad for liking Batman E1 :-(
I would understand the anger if it was canon, what i don't understand is why are you getting so worked up over an elseworlds.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I don't understand how people can say Batman was mis-characterized any either of those books since they are both non-canon stand alones with the writers creating a new interpretation of the character

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: The reason he is mis-characterized is because readers have a certain expectation when they read a Batman story. If you give Batman a machine gun and he dresses up in black and kills mobsters, that isn't Batman. It's the Punisher. You can name him Bruce Wayne and give him a mansion, but he isn't Batman. He's the Punisher wearing Batman's face.

@lordofthenorth: All that would take to fix is an expansion of his view point. He wants revenge, and has gotten it. So now he can look past his own suffering and see that there are others in the same position of helplessness he was once in. The difference is they don't have a fortune to spend to fix things as Bruce did. Bruce could easily decide to take the suffering of the city upon himself and protect it's denizens. It's an easy and natural progression if they decide to make sequels.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't understand how people can say Batman was mis-characterized any either of those books since they are both non-canon stand alones with the writers creating a new interpretation of the character

Or Miller following his previous interpretation.

BB

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: i...now i know why marvels better...

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@risingbean: You could but that would be weak as hell that means hes pain and his problems are more important than those of the people of Gotham and that means he has no reason to become batman becuase it begs the qustion why the hell did he put on a bat suit if all he wants is revenge than why does he refuse to use guns. it dosnt add up.the story also leaves the revenge meaningless. I mean what did he learn form seeking revenage,what did he gain what did he loss anwser to all these is nothing. this experiance changes nothing for bruce. Iam willing to bet that when the next issue comes out you could cut out most of this story and it wont matter in the least.

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By LordoftheNorth

@squalleon: What didnt you see all the superman fans getting piss off that sups was the villian in injustice.

but to anwser you the problem is when you read an elseworld story of a character you still want the elements of the character to still be their. Take a look at Red Sun completely out their takes on character that we love but they still have elements of the characters so you still felt like you were reading about your favorite characters just in another place or another time.

these 2 books thou have nothing like that sure they have batman but really if they had replaced them with characters with completely different names would it matter? would you notice? Than you have to ask what elements of his character do they have. Do they have his charm? his personality? his drive? his wisdom? how about his heart? the quick anwser is no these two stories are batman in name only

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lordofthenorth: I think you are even more cynical then I am. At any rate people change. Their motives change, their actions. I don't think it would be dumb. It'd be progression.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@risingbean: Well that's not true at all considering that's exactly what Barman did when he was first created

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By RisingBean

@jonny_anonymous: He what? Was so self focused that he ignored the cities needs?

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@risingbean: Yes iam pretty cynical mostlikey why batman resonates with me

Their can be progression through these types of stories but the problem with Earth One is that at the end of the book Bruce hasnt change at all he learned nothing form the experiance except he needs to get better he didnt learn he was beening selfess he didnt learn seeking revange is shallow

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman: Earth One was awful and Geoff Johns is the most overrated hack in all of comicdom.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#48  Edited By TDK_1997

Of course it is better.ANything by Miller for Batman is better than Johns on Batman.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@risingbean: no e ran around with a brace of pistols and shot everybody

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Exactly. Readers expectations for said stories don't mean anything, and really they shouldn't have any because it's always made very clear when a story's an elseworlds/imaginary tale taking place in an alternate universe. There's no right or wrong way to write an alternate version of a character. That idea's ridiculous.