deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@deaditegonzo said:

@omnicrono: W

ell, other publishers not withstanding, all of the problematic characters would be immediately fixed if Bruce aged, retired, and eventually died. Then Green Arrow could do the same, the Robins could grow up, etc. The reason no one complains about Clark is because he doesnt age, he is effectively immortal, same with Wonder Woman.

Everyone is held at the same point in time, because Batman is. Batman is frozen in time, because he is just a normal human doing something incredibly demanding physically.

Actually, Clark Kent does age. He ages at a much slower rate, but he does age. He doesn't get the scrutiny perhaps because his aging wouldn't be as quickly "visible" as Bruce Wayne's.

In any case, there are many other characters who have aged as well, in spite of Bruce not aging. So that entire argument is essentially moot.

Thats my point, the characters who dont age, dont age because Bruce keeps time frozen.

In Superman 1 Million, Superman Prime is shown to be immortal, and thats the closest thing to a 'canon' future tale. Sure, in Kingdom Come Supes is passed middle aged, but that is an elseworlds tale.

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

Everything about DC is broken to me. Hell in the Death of Superman story Superman literally killed the concept of death.

lol wow.

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By novi_homines

@deaditegonzo said:

@omnicrono said:

@deaditegonzo said:

ell, other publishers not withstanding, all of the problematic characters would be immediately fixed if Bruce aged, retired, and eventually died. Then Green Arrow could do the same, the Robins could grow up, etc. The reason no one complains about Clark is because he doesnt age, he is effectively immortal, same with Wonder Woman.

Everyone is held at the same point in time, because Batman is. Batman is frozen in time, because he is just a normal human doing something incredibly demanding physically.

Actually, Clark Kent does age. He ages at a much slower rate, but he does age. He doesn't get the scrutiny perhaps because his aging wouldn't be as quickly "visible" as Bruce Wayne's.

In any case, there are many other characters who have aged as well, in spite of Bruce not aging. So that entire argument is essentially moot.

Thats my point, the characters who dont age, dont age because Bruce keeps time frozen.

In Superman 1 Million, Superman Prime is shown to be immortal, and thats the closest thing to a 'canon' future tale. Sure, in Kingdom Come Supes is passed middle aged, but that is an elseworlds tale.

I think he's saying that there are characters within the universe that do in fact age, even though bruce doesn't. To respond to the your point of everyone not aging because bruce doesn't age.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

User Lists: 1

Yeah, I posted this on BatWatch a couple weeks ago. I do not agree with it completely, but I think there is at least a kernel of truth in the whole thing. I'm certainly tired of the universe resets.

As far as the age thing, I think Bats's age is not really that big a deal. If he started around age twenty-two, then the time line still works nicely for him being in his mid thirties up until reboot. You can still join the military around that age, so it's not unreasonable to think Bats could still be doing field work at that age. Now, there would need to be some excuse for his age in the next several years if they had not reset things. Personally, I'd rather they stick to continuity and use any one of a million different ways to make Bruce younger.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#55  Edited By Teerack

@novi_homines said:

@deaditegonzo said:

@omnicrono said:

@deaditegonzo said:

Everyone is held at the same point in time, because Batman is. Batman is frozen in time, because he is just a normal human doing something incredibly demanding physically.nk

I think he's saying that there are characters within the universe that do in fact age, even though bruce doesn't. To respond to the your point of everyone not aging because bruce doesn't age.

I think that Bruce not age has a lot more to do with his many many side kicks then Batman himself. They don't want the Robin's and Batgirls to reach adulthood, and because of that they sort of can't age Bruce.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 the_stegman  Moderator

I still love Batman and I will continue loving Batman. I am not easily manipulated by someone else's opinion!

However, I will admit this person makes a lot of good points, but still it's FICTION, despite the fact the writer tries to justify it.

This.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Gracetrack

@deaditegonzo said:

@omnicrono said:

@deaditegonzo said:

Yes, exactly. Thank you. :)

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omnicrono: Ok that makes a little more sense. I cant think of any major characters who have aged, but im sure youre right.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

What a load of crap.

Greatest fictional character is killing comics because of the innate nature of the medium? That makes sense.

WHY ARE IDIOTS ALLOWED TO BREED?

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

Completely disagree with this.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Editorial black hole, a proponent of comic's status quo

wolverine1610

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That article really changed the way i think about comics in general. i like dc and i like marvel, i like batman. but really it seems like both companies are really scared to make any sort of lasting change (minus the new 52 but how long really until they've wrote themselves in a corner again?) it really made me think about the superior spider-man and dan slott, at first i was really pissed that he killed peter parker the way he did, but then i started reading superior (because you cant truly hate something without experiencing it) so i read it, and kept reading it and i must say it does a lot of things i wish more comics would do, like when spider-man/dr octopus kills a villain under the pretense "you're just going to break out of jail and kill more people so i'm just going to end the threat of you right here right now" and i'm like this is bold, and daring and just what spider-man needed. there were plenty of villains in every story that any hero would have every right to rip to pieces but don't no matter what they do or how bad they do it, only to break out and wreak more havoc. and this article was right, if the heroes wont do it then why dont the law enforcement do it, i mean shoot on sight or give them the chair. i remember i had a discussion with a buddy of mine about seeing character age and get replaced by a younger hero (or villain) and have them have their own adventures and legacy to grow into, age, die and/or get replaced and let the cycle continue instead of just recycling the same old characters over and over. batman would be the perfect canidate, i mean even before the reset of the new 52 batman had gone through 3 robins who had aged several years and yet batman is still pretty young and spry, i would have loved to see dick take over as batman (and actually do a decent job at it because IN MY OPINION dick was a pretty crappy batman during that run)

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I think the article should be re-titled "6 Ways Contemporary Editors and Writers Have Ruined Contemporary Comics". I agree with a lot of the the arguments put forth but almost all of them are problems with Editors being afraid to allow characters and history to progress. They're either too afraid to allow more progressive characters (i.e. Steph and Cass) or too drastically changing pre-existing characters by taking away a lot of the personality that made them special (i.e. Tim).