BANE: THE ULTIMITE EVIL BATMAN

username12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

Disclosure: I’m not knocking on Prometheus or Wrath although it may seem like it, and I’m limiting myself to canon (New 52 and post crisis) story lines exclusively.

Whenever people think of an “evil Batman”, for lack of a better term, besides Owlman of course, most people would think of Prometheus or Wrath, for obvious reasons. I, on the other hand, think of Bane. I’m not talking about “anti batmen” like the Joker who are opposites of Batman, I’m talking about dudes so similar that if there was just a small push they could practically be Batman. Bane has so many parallels to Batman in terms of skills and abilities, story, and personality. Whether intentionally or unintentionally I think he is a perfect foil for Batman. He’s one of the smartest and skilled villains and his origin in Santa Prisca has many correlations with Batmans origins.

I think the obvious one to get out of the way first is Banes physical and mental prowess is on par with Batmans abilities. Bane was able to identify Batmans identity faster than the few people who found out without Batman telling them. Finding out Batmans identity alone is quite the accomplishment on its own considering the great length he goes into when hiding it. There is definitely something to be said about Banes intelligence rivaling Batmans. Bane is also one of the few to actually beat or hold off Batman in a fair fight. Batman was able to one hit knock out his most obvious physical rivals Lady Shiva and Deathstroke, whether you love it or hate it:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

However Batman was never able to beat Bane so easily:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

More examples of them being physically on par would be: they both one shot Nightwing, they both beat Kingsnake with ease, they both humiliated Killer Croc and KGBeast, and they both have a fighting record with Azreal that is in the green:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

He is also the only one to ever one shot him, except for Batman one million:

Batman in disguise
Batman in disguise

The similarities between them physically seems obvious, the only problem is Banes lack of resources, I believe that if Bane were somehow able to have as much resources as Batman, then he could be a villain that rivals the Justice League.

Bane and Batman share many personality traits as well, more so than all other of the Bat villains, dare I say. They both adhere to a creed that they made of there own accord. An code of honor is something that all Bat villains seem to lack, even Lady Shiva, for example, says she has one but even then it seems pretty loose. Batman has said Bane would NEVER run from a fight and Bane has protected children and friends on more than one occasion. Batmans morals are obviously a lot stricter, but characters created with the sole purpose of being “evil Batmen”, such as Prometheus, seem to lack morals entirely. They both seem socially awkward as well. Obviously Bruce Wayne seems very charismatic, but Batman, the man everyone claims to be the “real one” is very south of normal. An example of their strange social skills from the top of my head is that only had one scene of intercourse. In the entire 75 years Batman had only one scene of banging:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Kind of weird considering Bane and Batman, people who reached the peak of what humans can be, have had less sex than one eyed, old people, insane clowns, and zombies. Another MSFW example is that they have trouble letting people get close. They both have been shown to have no trouble working well with others, yet they still don’t trust people, there both extremely paranoid. I think it’s also interesting to note they both have fancied Talia al Ghul at points in their, canon, history. A point I will touch on latter. Bane also wants to protect Gotham, Same as Batman only he takes more extreme measures. Bane has saved and helped civilians in Batmans absence, such as Arkham War when he took over Wayne Tower to hide civilians and killed people who were stealing water, and when he saved little ones from bad guys in Secret Six:

No Caption Provided

Something strange I've noticed is that I don’t remember him ever killing anyone who were in some way able to defend themselves. I think they also both have a deep philosophical understanding as well. Batman, mostly, has been portrayed as a Catholic:

No Caption Provided

He also understands Buddhist philosophy from his martial arts training.

And Bane, whilst not Christian like his heroic counterpart, also harbors an understanding of philosophy, since most of his time in jail was spent reading:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

I think there similarities, in terms of personality and physical abilities are shown best in Batman Bane Blood Brothers:

No Caption Provided

:')

There they made a marvelous team, the only thing that broke up the team was Bane was more extreme and he had his own mission, which Batman gave his blessing for. A Bane Batman team up is an interesting prospect however. Bane was also the few villains that teamed up with Batman for a righteous purpose.

Bane and Batman share many story events that seem to mimic each other.

They could have shared the same biological father for starters:

No Caption Provided

To me that resonates the tragedy of Bane. He was born in a horrible birth place obviously and Bruce Waynes roles could have been reversed with Banes, a creepy thought. Another similarity is Bane was also Ra's al Ghuls protege, same as Batman, only Bane chose to except his mentors will, whilst Batman didn't. Bane wanted to be Talias love interest, whilst Batman had to be drugged by Talia in order to create Damian. See the pattern? Banes stay with Ra's was a twisted version of Batmans visit:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Ras al Ghul and Talia remarked on how they share similarities whilst Bane stayed with them as well.

It also should be noted that Bane and Batman had both struggled with venom addiction, and it’s implied they overcame said addiction via a similar way:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

I think the greatest story similarity is their origin. They both felt tragedy by seeing their parental figures being murdered in front of them, however my opinion is that their childhood brutalities isn’t what makes their origin similar, it’s a strange sense of divine intervention, like their entire life has been leading to them battling each other for eternity. Like fate has been building up a rivalry between them that only the Joker vs Batman rivalry can beat. Batmans major shift from vigilante to superhero was caused by a bat flying through the window at the right time, at the right moment, perfectly, TO perfectly. What set Bane on the path of villainy was a dream that showed young Bane an image of the future, and a terrifying dream, that again seems TO perfect.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

I’m of the opinion that all the pain they have seen was leading them to an ultimate battle of good vs evil. I think more proof of how it was a “set up by destiny” is that Bane fights with as much passion as Batman in all his battles, he’s inflicted with a sense of self righteousness and believes his goals are just. He's said over and over that he believes he’s innocent:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

At their core they are both emotionally scared, socially awkward, BA men who want to protect Gotham, just they exicute there plans differently.

Who do ya’ll think is the perfect “evil Batman” and why? Excluding Owlman and the people created to mimic Batman on purpose, naturally.

Avatar image for the_caped_crusader
The_Caped_Crusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

KingOfKings1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By KingOfKings1

Bane is the Satan for the Batgod

username12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I expected something like this after seeing your posts on that Punisher & Moon Knight vs Bane & Talon battle.

username12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome

username12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dogofwarorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow! Great article, really well-documented and I particularly enjoyed the analogy between their relationships with the Al Ghuls. Bane is my favorite DC villain and so I thank you for writing such a great analysis of his similarities with the Bat. Bravo !

username12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By username12345
Abishai100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Abishai100

David and Goliath: Gotham's Revenant

Truly excellent analysis (and entertaining too!). I liked a lot of the comments on this thread too.

It is so tempting to knock off Bane as simply a brutish maniac, but he does indeed pose a serious challenge for the Dark Knight who literally wrestles with the criminally insane. Bane is not only a maniac, but he is bigger because he is a maniac.

Bane is to Batman what Green Goblin is to Spider-Man (Marvel Comics) --- a nemesis who creates an intriguing labyrinth of brains-and-brawn terror.

Since Batman does not really tackle too many serious mad scientists, except for the Dollmaker and Mr. Freeze, Bane is left to symbolize what Batman regularly deals with in Gotham --- criminal insanity taken to the proportions of overwhelming suffocation (in this case, an over-sized menacing and obsessive Goliath).

Imagine if Gotham City was plagued by a new criminally insane villain who works as a taxi driver killing people who get in his cab as his fares. Imagine if this maniacal taxi driver called himself the 'Dark Chauffeur.' This is the sort of intrigue that defines the spookiness of a Gotham City troubled by madmen such as the Condiment King and the Scarecrow.

Well, only in Gotham City would we see a Goliath psycho like Bane rising to power amidst anarchy-raising specters such as the hypothetical Dark Chauffeur or the Condiment King or the Scarecrow. Batman is just the opposite of a Goliath psycho --- he's a David-like doll.

I like comparing Bane to the Condiment King, since they both represent vigilantism gone haywire and giving rise to humanoid trolls.

Goliath

Condiment King (Batman Wikia)

No Caption Provided

Abishai100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Monster: Magnetism

Since Batman tackles the criminally insane, and Bane is a brute, we should understand how muscular strength is connected to mental illness.

Athletes who take dangerous performance-enhancing (and strength-boosting) steroids not only affect the long term chemistry of their muscles, but they also affect the biochemistry of their brains (i.e., nerve-muscle impulses, reflex control memories, etc.).

Bane is a fellow who is both strong and maniacal. He frustrates Batman with this compositional paradox, making him the polar opposite of the Dark Knight who is physically fit and self-conscious.

If ever you wondered, "Why doesn't the high school bully ever get into trouble?" then you are beginning to surmise the intolerability of Bane --- Gotham's true dark monster.

Because Bane compels us to evaluate the connection between muscle and insanity, we find him too interesting to ignore.

No Caption Provided

Bigbadwolfx0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@username12345: I am a big fan of hero bane and i hate how writers can not keep his story straight. After knight fall bane discovers that he and batman may be brothers this causes him to think on him self he claims the venom made him think the batman was his enemy bane almost dies while trying to find his father but is saved by batman via a Pitt and during his time with the secret six he become a loving adopted father to scandal savage, and now during forever evil when batman was gone bane stepped up and saved Gotham from the villains and from destroying itself, and yes he could of been a bit softer about it but this is bane a man who was born and raised in a prison.