Bane: One of Batman's Best Villains

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Some believe Bane is a man who relies on sheer strength. Others think Bane needs venom to pose a threat. Maybe some out there just think of Tom Hardy in The Dark Knight Rises while picturing the character. And some may even think he's just a silly looking wrestler who earned a cheap victory over Batman. Well, we're here to set the record straight and tell you all why Bane is a noteworthy addition to the Dark Knight's rogues gallery and not just some dumb brute or Talia al Ghul's muscle. First and foremost, we understand a number of you may not be all that familiar with Bane, so we're going to recap the villain's origin and explain what makes him special.

No Caption Provided

Back in 1993, writer Chuck Dixon and artist Graham Nolan introduced to the world to Bane with BATMAN: VENGEANCE OF BANE #1 (Doug Moench also helped create the villain, but didn't work on the first appearance). Bane was born in a harsh prison called Pena Duro. Located in the fictional country Santa Prisca, Bane was forced to serve his father's sentence -- a life sentence. Calling the prison home made the child tough and, when his mother passed in front of him, he didn't shed a single tear. Shortly later, a creep name Puerco approached him, but a strong fellow named Trogg guarded the kid. During the scuffle, Bane fell over a ledge, smashing his face against the ground. While knocked out, he had a vision of himself from the future -- a tall, muscular man still in prison attire -- and this vision told Bane he is destined to rule the world and only fear stands in his way. His fear: a bat with glowing eyes. Bane awoke from this nightmare, killed the man who assaulted him, and then insulted the Warden upon getting in trouble for the crime. His punishment: over a decade in Cavidad Oscuro, a.k.a. the hole.

No Caption Provided

The pit was dug three centuries ago and often drives people mad or kills them. The cell was constructed low enough that high tide would flood it each and every day. So, on top of being infested with rats and crabs, Bane also had to fight to survive every day for more than ten years. Instead of crumbling under the weight of these challenges, Bane thrived. He had yet to learn how to read and write, but these challenges boosted his focus and determination. As Dixon wrote, "hatred gave him the strength to hold on. Hatred and the promise of the man he would become." This hardened both his personality and body and, while the lack of activity may take a toll on others, he overcame his fear and thought about slaying a giant bat. He went into the hole as a boy and he emerged as a man without fear. Unfortunately, that nickname was already taken.

No Caption Provided

Now free of the hole, Bane sharpened his mind, absorbing all of the knowledge he could. He quickly learned how to read and write, would breeze through three books a day, learned six different languages, and continued to read every book the library had to offer. When he completed the thousands of books in the library, he had hundreds more smuggled in, covering all different kinds of subjects. The villain was making sure his body was every bit as impressive as his brain, too. His daily workout consisted of a thousand push-ups, a thousand sit-ups, and a thousand pull-ups. The man wouldn't sleep, either. Instead of dozing off, he meditated for four hours per night. He was able to rule the prisoners and take down every challenger in his way, but the authorities had to step in when he killed more than thirty inmates.

It turns out the prison's infirmary was testing a drug called "venom" on inmates and no one survived the tests. Upon seeing Bane's strength, the decided to give it a shot with him. As we all know by now, the test was a success. The drug would not only boosted Bane's strength (Pre-52 Bane was debatably in the 1-2 ton range, but New 52 Bane is even stronger), but it also increased his pain tolerance. But Bane's aspirations go beyond being a test subject. He's heard Gotham is the greatest city and it's ruled by Batman, and he dreams of conquering it. So he told Bird, one of his numerous allies, about his plan to escape. Basically, he had such control over his body that he was able to lower his vitals to a point where the machines declared he was dead. The fiend was tossed into the water to serve as food for the sharks, but he was able to elude them and even killed one with his bare hands. He returned to the prison, tossed the warden into the shark infested waters, and stole a helicopter with his allies, Zombie, Tragg, and Bird. He finally arrived in Gotham and successful stalked the Dark Knight. Bane made his presence known to Batman and, before fading away, he promised that the hero would one day scream his name.

No Caption Provided

"Get in line" is exactly what Bane did. As you probably know, Bane crippled Batman by smashing the hero's back against his knee. If not, apologies for the way old spoiler. The humiliating defeat came after Bane and his forces released several villains and allowed them to create all kinds of chaos across Gotham. The constant need to clean up the streets took a huge toll on Batman. He was getting a minimal amount of sleep and the steady fighting was beginning to hinder his body and his mind. When he was at his lowest point, Bane was waiting for him right in his very own home. Yes, Bane was able to find out who's behind the mask and then dished out one of Batman's most embarrassing defeats. Now, some discredit Bane's victory by saying he assaulted Bruce when he was at his weakest, but that was the entire point. Batman was practically "broken" before Bane shattered his back. Bane wanted to destroy the "ruler of Gotham's" body and mind. And when Gotham's protector couldn't take much more, Bane was there to let the Justice Leauger know that he was behind all of this madness and he would be the one to deliver the final blow.

It was a display of tactics topped off with physical might. Could Bane -- while on venom -- defeat Batman while the he's at 100%? We've never seen that fight happen before the New 52 because Bane's off venom in all of their brawls after their encounter in Knightfall. Would Batman's equipment and clear mind allow him to overcome Bane's ferociousness, and might? We know Bane is very skilled, but he isn't as skilled as Bruce. Would his boosted physicals compensate for that gap and grant him the edge? Maybe, maybe not. The point is Bane wasn't afraid of Batman and didn't attack him when he was at his weakest due to a lack of confidence. The encounter was meant to utterly break Batman and that's exactly what it did. After breaking the Caped Crusader's back, Bane took the hero's limp body and tossed it onto the streets of Gotham. He accomplished the one thing he set out to do: defeat the Bat and take over Gotham.

No Caption Provided

Okay, so that was exactly a quick recap, but if you're going to know what makes a character unique, understanding where they come from and what they've experienced really is critical. Bane's origin story turned him into a being that could challenge Bruce Wayne on both a physical and mental level. He's skilled and conditioned enough to engage Batman in hand-to-hand combat, and even Ra's al Ghul has praised Bane's sharp mind. Some villains can mess with Batman's mind and his personal life and others tend to offer purely physical challenges. Bane's intellect and gifted physicals and skills as a combatant means he has unlimited potential when it comes to opposing Batman on both levels.

No Caption Provided

Bane's grip on Gotham obviously didn't last forever and a man named Jean-Paul Valley assumed Batman's mantle. He was the one to savagely defeat Bane by severing his connection to venom and then dishing out an absolutely brutal beating. Some reflect on this fight -- as well as appearances Bane has in TV, movies, etc -- and think it means one can easy best Bane by cutting off his supply on venom. However, it worked in that fight because it was the very first time Bane truly suffered withdrawal. He was addicted to this drug and when he was cut off from it, he lost his mind and panicked. He was no longer able to fight and all that makes him formidable quickly faded away. As you know after reading his origin, he's plenty frightening without venom, but he was an addict at that point and, in his time of need, he couldn't get his fix. He became a mess and tried to flee, but Jean-Paul Valley showed no remorse.

Bane's an intelligent and confident man, so after this violent defeat, he realized he doesn't need venom to be the man he wants to be and, if anything, it's a weakness. In fact, his most commendable and entertaining fights are off venom. He was tempted every now and then to use the drug and went back on in in SECRET SIX (a thoroughly excellent series, by the way), but a good amount of his appearances are off the drug and he was every bit as dangerous. He swiftly defeated Dick Grayson two times in a row, gave Batman a tough fight at least twice, and had a remarkable rematch with Jean-Paul Valley. Needless to say, venom doesn't define who he is and he's perfectly capable of thriving without it.

No Caption Provided

The New 52 brought various changes to several characters and, of course, Bane was one of them. In this new universe, Bane still broke Batman's back, but he's back on venom in the current stories and the drug is far more powerful. His physicals have been boosted and, in his first story arc in the New 52, he appeared to be unstoppable against Batman. He showed no signs of skill and technique, but he claimed to be smarter than before, faster, and most definitely stronger. During Forever Evil, a venom fueled Bane took over Gotham and claimed to be the new Batman. He had no problem beating all of the villains that stood in his way. However, when Batman returned, the two engaged in a fierce slugfest and the Dark Knight walked away as the victor.

No Caption Provided

Bane may be a stern man, but he's more than just rage and strength. We've seen a more compelling side of him as he fell for Talia al Ghul and had a strong desire to protect Scandal Savage. There's no doubt about it that he's a villain, but in a twisted sense, he wants to protect Gotham and previous writers have successfully worked past his callous nature and shown his more vulnerable side. The New 52 has displayed Bane as a physical and ruthless obstacle that wants to rule, but they've yet to show a more humanizing approach to the character. A long, bloody and dark road molded Bane into the man he is today, and that character has the potential to be the primary antagonist in a gripping story that shows off his mind and emotions. There's more to Bane than just muscles and he deserves a New 52 story that shows this.

No Caption Provided

Bane's humiliated Batman, earned Ra's al Ghul's respect, and has a thoroughly impressive body and mind that allows him to compete with a wide variety of obstacles. Despite what some may think, he doesn't require venom to make a name for himself and addressing his addiction opens the door to more engaging dialogue. He's cold and calculating, but there's so much possibility when it comes to giving us insight into the character and putting him on a path that's loaded with action and emotion. He doesn't even need to have his big story in Batman's title, either. Imagine if he became the threat in SUICIDE SQUAD, GREEN ARROW, or BIRDS OF PREY? There's plenty of room for new character dynamics to explore there and it would avoid familiarity. Bane's had some exciting brawls and cameos in the New 52, but we're really hoping he will one day be the focus of a phenomenal story.

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Oh... I would love to see Bane VS Green Arrow or the Suicide Squad...

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

Bane is a great character. Hope future story arcs in any Batman or DC comic use more of him

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

Sadly, this is how i was introduced to Bane.
I was amazed to see him talk in BTAS

Radx_Konkin75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice article, yo.

pingclang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 121

One of my favorite villains in Batman`s gallery. Actually, the only villain I like more is Scarecrow. Bane is one mean dude and what I love most about him is the fact that yes, he does appear to be a brute and a musclehead but he's actually vastly intelligent. He and Bats aren't so different in that regard. Both are strong, smart and skilled, making him a great counter to Batman`s own ability. Great article.

GA and Bane should have crossed paths since Bane`s creation. That would be an amazing fight to behold.

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Great Article! I really enjoyed reading this

Techherofan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bane is such an underrated character mostly due to to media portrayal as a roid monkey. Underneath all those muscles lies the mind of a tactical genius Arkham War and Knight Fall are two great showing of that.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very awesome article.

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's my favorite Batman villain.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By comicace3
Such a bada$$
Such a bada$$

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haha just watch. Tomorrow there's going to be an announcement that Bane is getting his own solo book. Just like what happened when they did the Deathstroke article.

johnny_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Green Arrow vs. Bane just makes sense. He's one of my favorite villains ever. An ongoing is needed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome article. Bane is my number three batman villain.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice

Golden Cod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@techherofan said:

Bane is such an underrated character mostly due to to media portrayal as a roid monkey. Underneath all those muscles lies the mind of a tactical genius Arkham War and Knight Fall are two great showing of that.

You should watch the Young Justice episode featuring him if you haven't. His intellect / pragmatism really shines through.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

#18  Edited By amazing_webhead

Bane is one of my 3 favorite Batman villains, just below the Joker, but right above Mr. Freeze.

I like versions like BTAS and Arkham Origins, where he only starts pumping venom after he's already been throwing Batman around for a few minutes.

I think it would be kinda cool to see Bane in "Arrow", and Ollie has to team up with one of the Bat-Clan to beat him.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He needs a new 52 batman story with him as the main villain that shows how awesome he is. Him getting beat up by batman while on venom kind of made him seem weak, in comparison to batman

viin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

there needs to be a poll on the best batman villain...though i would guess Joker would win.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AllStarSuperman

He also punched through concrete.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

Bane is my second favorite Batman rogue behind the Riddler. Bane is in so many ways what Bruce COULD have become, and the impressive thing about Bane is while he may have lost to Batman in the past he has shown that his resolve and will is arguably stronger than Bruce's. Bane is a villain that in some twisted way believes himself to be a hero, it's the same aspect that makes Sinestro so appealing. It'd make for a great ongoing that I most certainly would read.

Avatar image for infantfinite128
infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By infantfinite128

"Bane's an intelligent and confident man, so after this violent defeat, he realized he doesn't need venom to be the man he wants to be and, if anything, it's a weakness. In fact, his most commendable and entertaining fights are off venom."

THANK YOU! Bane is my all time favorite villain, so I really appreciate this article! Great write-up!

justice teen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Same for me and first impressions go a long ways, so whenever Bane is brought up I instantly hate it.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Great article!

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By TommytheHitman
No Caption Provided

...the only reason Cap won was because the plot demanded it.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By CaptainHoopla

Excellent, well written, and presented article. Great job Gregg, I enjoyed reading this.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

I like Bane. Bane is one of my favorite Batman villains. Pretty interesting character. I want to see him during Scott Snyder & Greg Capullo's run on Batman.

Dark_Stranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice article.

Though in all honesty, never cared much for Bane and still don't, he's alright an all .. but never really appealed to me like some others I do like an prefer.

Such as Scarecrow (who seems to be taking a center role in the new Arkham game coming out in 2015 :D), Ra's Al Ghul, Poison Ivy, Riddler, etc.

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By HushoftheWind

@tommythehitman said:
No Caption Provided

...the only reason Cap won was because the plot demanded it.

yeah Cap's shield is the embodiment of PIS lol

Mars8254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Mars8254

Fell in love with the character after dark knight rises. Every time I read Bane I give him Tom Hardy voice now.

Avatar image for banestrokelobogrundybatarrow
BaneStrokeLoboGrundyBatArrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

I have to post on this one. Bane is UNDOUBTEDLY THE BEST BATMAN VILLAIN EVER. I always dreamed of a comic solely focused on Bane and Forever Evil did not quench my thirst for such an amazing character. Thank you for writing this article Gregg Katzman. You have gotten on point who Bane is and what every fan wants to see.

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forever my favorite Batman villain

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Agreed, the way he "adopted" the mantle of the Bat because all the criminals feared it was a cool move.

Great article!

MyNameIsWill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@techherofan said:

Agreed, the way he "adopted" the mantle of the Bat because all the criminals feared it was a cool move.

Great article!

^

vandinejd_1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

YES!!!! I agree completely on this.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Great article k4tz.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Nice article, yo.

One of my favorite villains in Batman`s gallery. Actually, the only villain I like more is Scarecrow. Bane is one mean dude and what I love most about him is the fact that yes, he does appear to be a brute and a musclehead but he's actually vastly intelligent. He and Bats aren't so different in that regard. Both are strong, smart and skilled, making him a great counter to Batman`s own ability. Great article.

@tommythehitman said:

GA and Bane should have crossed paths since Bane`s creation. That would be an amazing fight to behold.

Great Article! I really enjoyed reading this

Very awesome article.

@jayc1324 said:

Awesome article. Bane is my number three batman villain.

"Bane's an intelligent and confident man, so after this violent defeat, he realized he doesn't need venom to be the man he wants to be and, if anything, it's a weakness. In fact, his most commendable and entertaining fights are off venom."

THANK YOU! Bane is my all time favorite villain, so I really appreciate this article! Great write-up!

Great article!

Excellent, well written, and presented article. Great job Gregg, I enjoyed reading this.

No Caption Provided

I have to post on this one. Bane is UNDOUBTEDLY THE BEST BATMAN VILLAIN EVER. I always dreamed of a comic solely focused on Bane and Forever Evil did not quench my thirst for such an amazing character. Thank you for writing this article Gregg Katzman. You have gotten on point who Bane is and what every fan wants to see.

@techherofan said:

Great article!

YES!!!! I agree completely on this.

Great article k4tz.

Wow, thanks for being so kind to me, internet! Glad you all had a good time reading it, because I most definitely had fun writing it.

Rangerion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Rangerion

He gets strength by sheer not giving up. But given his "aquatic growth," I thought he would be familiar with the sea and take some ocean-going elements. Well, at least Aquaman didn't come in to sequester all the fish. "Thanks for all the fish." LOL

Chronicjihad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice article, I enjoyed reading it.

No telling how much damage the Shumacher Batman & Robin movie did to Bane's image.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 k4tzm4n  Moderator

He gets strength by sheer not giving up. But given his "aquatic growth," I thought he would be familiar with the sea and take some ocean-going elements. Well, at least Aquaman didn't come in to sequester all the fish. "Thanks for all the fish." LOL

AQUABANE!

Nice article, I enjoyed reading it.

No telling how much damage the Shumacher Batman & Robin movie did to Bane's image.

Thank you.

GillaDro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superior_prime_maybe said:

No Caption Provided

Same for me and first impressions go a long ways, so whenever Bane is brought up I instantly hate it.

All this

MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43  Edited By MrDirector786

Great article. Truth be told, Bane is my personal favorite Batman villain.

matanui123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In my opinion Bane is second to only the Joker himself as far as Batman villains go.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Great article. Truth be told, Bane is my personal favorite Batman villain.

Thank you. Same here! :D

In my opinion Bane is second to only the Joker himself as far as Batman villains go.

It seems like many agree! Who's your 3rd?

Abishai100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brawling with Big

When we think of Bane from "Batman and Robin" [1997], we may think he is just an oafish brute.

However, as we contemplate how criminal insanity is a running thread in Gotham City, suddenly the prospects of hand-to-hand combat with an overgrown super-maniac (Bane) seems rather apocalyptic.

Judo

No Caption Provided

Abishai100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gotham Gargoyle

We can imagine Batman's nemeses in Gotham as being representative of real world terror-infusing criminals such as Al Capone, Jack the Ripper, and Bonnie & Clyde.

However, we can also imagine these same nemeses (such as the over-bearing Bane) representative of American horror film avatars such as Leatherface and Freddy Krueger. It all depends on our personalized settings on the creativity stimuli (in regards to criminal insanity) scale/gradient.

Do we imagine these mad super-villains such as Bane and Scarecrow as under-appreciated or over-exposed? With all these movies and tv shows adapted from Batman (DC Comics) stories and characters, are we curious enough about the deeper intellectual complexities associated with this urbanization-mayhem themed franchise? Bane is terribly awesome, and he symbolizes a curiosity about making psycho-sociological connections between criminal insanity and pedestrian terrorism.

Leatherface (Wikipedia)

No Caption Provided