gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

There's a lot going on here. For those feeling a little intimidating stepping into this event that has been a couple years in the making, the issue contains two pages filling you in on all the recent events that lead up to this issue. With Red Skull having gained the power of Charles Xavier and now combined with the full force of Onslaught, it doesn't look good for the heroes. As Red Onslaught, we have a villain with immense power. The ease in which he is able to gain control over some of the heroes makes it even worse during the fight.

Rick Remender is definitely pulling everything together here. It's impressive seeing how everything fits together. Even as a reader that fell behind on some issues of UNCANNY AVENGERS, I still was able to dive in here and find out everything I needed to know. You can see the hardship many of the characters have gone through. This issue is jam packed with so many characters but Remender makes it feel like they're all here for a reason. It feels natural and there's a nice feeling seeing the little acknowledgement that both the Avengers and X-Men consist of a large number of team members. It makes sense when there's a huge crisis, they'll all come out to join the fight. Seeing teammates that have been at odds with each other get along for the sake of trying to defeat an enemy was pleasant to see.

Any time we get art by Adam Kubert, you know you're in for a visual treat. What makes it even better is that this is an oversized issue. That means more pages and pretty much each page is full of different characters. There's just so much to see. There are some double page spreads that allow us to marvel at all the action.

The Bad

I have to say I'm really on the fence with this event. I'm not the biggest Red Skull fan. I never fully came on board with him gaining Xavier's abilities. Bringing in Onslaught gives him even more power. The ease at which he gains control over other powerful characters such as Scarlet Witch feels too easy. Besides Red Onslaught and Ahab (another character I'm not too fond of), we mainly see heroes fighting each other. This does give the heroes insanely incredible odds to go up against. It does give a great reason to see full rosters come together. Although, there were moments there was almost too much going on in a panel to fully appreciate Kubert's art.

It might be a mix of being mind control along with inserting some humor but some of the dialogue felt a little off. We're used to see the quips in the Cinematic Universe but we don't necessarily need some attempting to be a comedian in the middle of the action. The lack of respect Sam Wilson is getting as Captain America from some teammates seemed like a bit much.

Did Remender kill a certain character he's been cultivating for some time now?

We have been getting almost non-stop event after event. It's understandable that this is what has become the nature for many comics. Events sell. It does give a good reason to bring in large casts of characters and have big crossovers. There are also times it would be nice to scale things down a bit. But perhaps that wouldn't translate into sales.

The Verdict

Another huge event has begun. Rick Remender has been building this for a couple years now. Since the end of AVENGERS VS X-MEN and throughout UNCANNY AVENGERS, the seeds have been planted and we're now seeing the next phase for the two teams. Remender sets up plenty of action for Adam Kubert and it's a wonderful treat seeing so many characters in one book. The downside is the feeling of non-stop event after event. I haven't come around to accepting Red Skull in this fashion although it does provide for a different take on the character. This has the makings of another big story that could have a  huge impact on the Marvel Universe. You won't want to miss out on what's coming up.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Might check it out

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

That's not good.... still, Original Sin started out looking really good, and then took a nose dive, so maybe this will have a slow start and get really good.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

I enjoy it but it was rocky.

ThorBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

5 stars all the way.

No nonsense start to a hyped up event really helped this issue.

Loved seeing cyclops and havok together again as well with the X- men.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MakkyD

@captainmarvel4ever: I find Remender can be a slow burner sometimes, he starts out rocky but as time goes on and you begin to see the whole picture is when the going gets good.

Hopefully, this is one of those times. Otherwise, this seems to be another writer, who no matter how great they normally are, they can't seem to handle events.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By micah007123

Giving it a shot. The last recent event I thought that was handled well was Infinity. We are still feeling the aftershocks of that to this day (and it may or may not lead to a Marvel Universe reboot). Avengers vs X-Men also stayed relevant long after it ended and even into this latest event. Hope AXIS stays strong.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BR_Havoc

Onslaught went over so well the first time he came around so why would this be any different?

consafo80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll give it a try but I'm not hearing many good things about it.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I thought the dialogue was poor in the issue.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Oh could AXIS be another marvel failure event. The last time events involve Avengers and X-men is Avengers vs X-men and we know many fans hate it and it is not well receive events

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah: It's a pity that the actual AvX event was pretty bad for the consequences that came from it.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

another rocky Marvel event?

Not surprising.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd said:

@micah: It's a pity that the actual AvX event was pretty bad for the consequences that came from it.

No more mutant extinction is pretty bad for you? Racist!

Webhead_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dat dialogue...

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By micah007123

@maccyd said:

True. The fallout was great, the rebirth of the mutant population was great, and so was the Phoenix Five. But it could have been better, also Colossus vs Juggernaut = EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Overlander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

@rubear said:

@maccyd said:

No more mutant extinction is pretty bad for you? Racist!

While that's funny, I don't think that's what he was saying.

AvX when read all in one sitting is great. It definitely impacted the entire Marvel Universe, but didn't seem to resonate at the same levels as Secret Invasion or Civil War. I'm kinda on the fence about Axis. I want to like it, but I admit feeling kinda meh about it.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Mark_Stephen

Given the way the marvel characters have acted for a long time now I'm really tempted to root for the Red Skull. I'm sure that after this event is over they'll go back to hating and fighting each other again. I don't really like the Skull but I find his pure villainy refreshing compared to the hypocrisy, paranoia, miss-trust and petty arrogance that the marvel heroes have shown.

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More like 3.9/5. Art good, enjoyed fights but dialogue was hokey.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By micah007123

@mark_stephen said:

Given the way the marvel characters have acted for a long time now I'm really tempted to root for the Red Skull. I'm sure that after this event is over they'll go back to hating and fighting each other again. I don't really like the Skull but I find his pure villainy refreshing compared to the hypocrisy, paranoia, miss-trust and petty arrogance that the marvel heroes have shown.

That's why I love them, they all have multi-layered personalities, agendas and don't represent plain good and evil.This is heavily on display in New Avengers.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: Honestly I think Marvel is getting too involved in these events, or just plain handling them bad.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah: Yea, the guys who made it possible for Namor to blow up worlds. Great heroes there. You can have a multi-layered character without making them complete jerks. Between the two of them I'd take the Skulls outright villainy over Tony Stark brand of villainy where he'll smile to your face while he's plunging the knife into your stomach.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By micah007123

@mark_stephen said:

@micah: Yea, the guys who made it possible for Namor to blow up worlds. Great heroes there. You can have a multi-layered character without making them complete jerks. Between the two of them I'd take the Skulls outright villainy over Tony Stark brand of villainy where he'll smile to your face while he's plunging the knife into your stomach.

Well in Namor's case it was either one world dies or both and their respective universes. So what your saying is that you would doom two entire worlds, instead of making the hard choice for yours to survive just to uphold petty superhero nobility??????? That's just plain selfish, Namor made the right call, and despite how horrific it was he's the only reason all the innocent people in the Marvel Universe are still alive.

TheBlackHood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This issue was a complete snooze for me. I also really don't dig the "My technology blocks out telepathy." It smacks of Deus Ex Machina style writing that I think is pretty lazy. Also, there was another little thing that really smacked of a complete DC ripoff with the: Ironman has a list that says how to take out the Avengers. Pretty lame.

Novemberx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Novemberx2

this books a mess,

Uncanny Avenger has already been an inferior sequel to Uncanny x-Force but this is really dumb but at least it continued on Remenders arguments about why heroes don't kill. This is just Black and White villain versus heroes. I suspect Remender had little say on this project and that it was devised by a marketing team rather then actual writer.

the premise is dumb to being with red skull becomes a mutant to wipe out mutants using his and another mutants power to achieve mutant extinction via concentration camps (because obviously we would't understand the symbolism if he did in less obvious way)

but then dialogue and execution of so many ideas is really bad. I normally like Adam Kurberts art but this was bad, sloppy work.

so many illogical things to, I know its a comic but these are just so poorly explained by the narrative:

why is Falcon now the leader of the avengers and act exactly like the real captain america (except he can fly) Is that how becoming leader of the avengers works? What the point of replacing steve rogers if his replacement is just gonna act identical to him (again marvel abusing diversity as gimmick for sales rather then an actual care about promoting diversity in its books)

Why are just Cyclops & Genesis tired up in mutant camp with no context? When did they captured? the x-men genesis was staying if are not captured. Did Scott team not notice he was missing?

Why Does Havok attack magneto over the red skull?

Why does Red Skull/Onslaught incite hatred across the world but not mind control more then one person at a time that are right in front of him?

Did the avengers leave LA in the generic plant villains control?

Why does the focus of the book suddenly turn to iron man a character who didn't really have any significance to Uncanny X-Force or Uncanny Avengers.

Iron Man wiped his mind so how can the red skull know of his civil war weapons?

how did the red skull even make adamantium sentinels (This just 80's marvel ideas, X weapon is made Y tough material, which just happens to be tougher then previous version material)

did anyone else cringe at the Scott leap in the air "Nooooooo" take a bullet dive scene?

Oh god we've got 8 more issues of this non-sense, and we've not even got to the dumb hero's become villains visa versa gimmick part yet.

Another marvel event to make me feel even more disenfranchised with comics

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah: While the people in the other universe are dead. Given the low level of morality in marvel I'm kinda surprised that Namor and the others didn't pause to do some looting before he pushed the button. With that title the author seems determined to destroy every heroic trait the characters have.

Novemberx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rubear: Did all mutants get re-powered or did new mutants get created to replace them? Marvel never explained. however, marvel spend 3 months explains how inhumans are discover their powers because they want use them as replacement x-men.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By micah007123

@mark_stephen said:

@micah: While the people in the other universe are dead. Given the low level of morality in marvel I'm kinda surprised that Namor and the others didn't pause to do some looting before he pushed the button. With that title the author seems determined to destroy every heroic trait the characters have.

If you want looting you should have seen what the Cabal did to the Supreme Power Universe, they pillaged the crap out of it. But you didn't answer my question bro, what would you have done in Namor's situation?

Also the definition of Hero is doing what needs to be done, rising up and making the hard choices even when everyone else won't and after all the alternatives have been exhausted for the good of humanity, putting his/her's personal beliefs aside to ensure survival at all cost. That's the definition of hero.

Definition of Hero=Namor

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this books a mess,

Uncanny Avenger has already been an inferior sequel to Uncanny x-Force but this is really dumb but at least it continued on Remenders arguments about why heroes don't kill. This is just Black and White villain versus heroes. I suspect Remender had little say on this project and that it was devised by a marketing team rather then actual writer.

the premise is dumb to being with red skull becomes a mutant to wipe out mutants using his and another mutants power to achieve mutant extinction via concentration camps (because obviously we would't understand the symbolism if he did in less obvious way)

but then dialogue and execution of so many ideas is really bad. I normally like Adam Kurberts art but this was bad, sloppy work.

so many illogical things to, I know its a comic but these are just so poorly explained by the narrative:

why is Falcon now the leader of the avengers and act exactly like the real captain america (except he can fly) Is that how becoming leader of the avengers works? What the point of replacing steve rogers if his replacement is just gonna act identical to him (again marvel abusing diversity as gimmick for sales rather then an actual care about promoting diversity in its books)

Why are just Cyclops & Genesis tired up in mutant camp with no context? When did they captured? the x-men genesis was staying if are not captured. Did Scott team not notice he was missing?

Why does Red Skull/Onslaught incite hatred across the world but not mind control more then one person at a time that are right in front of him?

Why does the focus of the book suddenly turn to iron man a character who didn't really have any significance to Uncanny X-Force or Uncanny Avengers.

how did the red skull even make adamantium sentinels (This just 80's marvel ideas, X weapon is made Y tough material, which just happens to be tougher then previous version material)

did anyone else cringe at the Scott leap in the air "Nooooooo" take a bullet dive scene?

Oh god we've got 8 more issues of this non-sense, and we've not even got to the dumb hero's become villains visa versa gimmick part yet.

If you feel so strongly about it, why not write a review?

Avatar image for raggedscarecrow
RaggedScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By RaggedScarecrow

It wasn't atrocious, but it certainly wasn't as good as I'd hoped for. Having said that, the scene with Wasp talking to Tony was a nice break from the action. Hopefully, next issue will be better.

Aliltron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 16

Looking at all of these reviews on this issue, I'm glad I didn't spend the money on it lol.

Avatar image for dathomiesilversurfer
DatHomieSilverSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this books a mess,

this. I read all of uncanny x-force and avengers, along with magneto, and was still a little lost with this issue. too much was unexplained, too much just happened because story dictated. And the dialogue was kind of lame at certain parts. very disappointed for what I was hoping to be an EPIC event

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah: I'm sure he's a great hero to the dead of that world.

And there is no answer, thats part of the story, to show that for all the talk of noblity and honor when push comes to shove the marvel heroes are just as selfish and will do anything that they have to do to survive. If that means murder, rape, robbery... nothing matters but survival. No sin is too great and nobility is just for losers.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Posted by ShadowSwordmaster - October 08, 2014 at 2:52 PM

I enjoy it but it was rocky.

This. Ill but next issue to see if it improves.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very rocky issue. Hope it picks up.

Avatar image for batmanonthemoon
BatmanOnTheMoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I understand and respect your opinion, though I would have rated it a 4/5. I dunno, I really enjoyed it. I thought the art was actually pretty fantastic, and it's always a pleasure to see Remender write the other X-Men. I'm anxious to see where this is all going and how everyone gets "inverted."

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By micah007123

@mark_stephen said:

@micah: I'm sure he's a great hero to the dead of that world.

And there is no answer, thats part of the story, to show that for all the talk of noblity and honor when push comes to shove the marvel heroes are just as selfish and will do anything that they have to do to survive. If that means murder, rape, robbery... nothing matters but survival. No sin is too great and nobility is just for losers.

Wow you just twisted the whole point and message of the book. How can you say they'd commit rape, and robbery when they haven't done anything of the sort??? The story is that nobility is a worthy cause, but it can be your downfall when faced with hard choices. It's either one dies or both, it's as simple as that. No way out, no alternatives, no saving graces, just a choice plain and simple. And if you remember only Namor pulled the trigger the others wouldn't so it's not fair to say "the marvel heroes are just as selfish and will do anything that they have to do to survive". Destroying one planet nearly caused Tony to commit suicide after-all. You can't just write them off as bad guys when once again, their the reason the Marvel Universe we know is still alive.

rondominas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

not a fan of this first issue. was hesitant to pick it up, and after this first issue i think i'll be passing on the rest. if i hear good things i'll pick up the trade later, but definitely not feeling this right now

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

WHAT? 3 stars? I feel like it deserved a 4 star rating. I was surprised at how much I was enjoying this book and how into I was, considering I wasn't looking forward to this event. But now I'm glad I invested time in it.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rubear: Did all mutants get re-powered or did new mutants get created to replace them? Marvel never explained. however, marvel spend 3 months explains how inhumans are discover their powers because they want use them as replacement x-men.

From my own observation - second. Their was lot of new mutants, but i don't remeber repowered after AvX mutants, some of them even get their own problems with power.

Avatar image for romthelegionaire
Romthelegionaire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

Did anyone else notice that on one panel the All-New X-men version of Jean Grey was there? Isnt she in the Ultimate universe right now?

Pizzaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really want to punch Havok in the face. Also nice to see that he's still blaming Scott for everything.

murderpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ummm is deadpool in this?

MinkoAk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mark_stephen: What should they have done then ? Let two universes blow up just so they would have had the moral high ground ? That really is the only other option they had, that or instead of blowing up the other world they could have blown up their own world, there isn't much difference there.

By the way, that is a serious question, not a bait or anything.

ShadowLife248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait for issue 3 because Leinil Yu is by far a way better artist.This issue the colors are everywhere and especially with the rain...a mess.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Mark_Stephen

@micah: And the other universe is dead. That's the real point, the real goal of the story as far as I can see is to show that at their hearts the heroes of the mu are just as selfish and just as willing to murder to save people they love and the world they live on. Dr. Strange out and out murdered the heroes of that world and then Namor blew up the world. In the next issue the Illuminati -save for Namor who went out and gathered the Cabal (who will quite happily murder, loot and rape before they get around to destroying those worlds), sulked and just gave up and waited for the end.

The story is structured in such a way that men who have never given up have given up. That men who held to principle and honor have junked them both, tampering with Captain America's mind, constructing weapons that can blow up worlds, not telling anyone... It's probably the most complete attack on the characters and what they once stood for I've ever seen and it fits perfectly with the amoral writing style that marvel has adopted since Avengers Dissasembled.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By micah007123

@mark_stephen said:@micah: And the other universe is dead. That's the real point, the real goal of the story as far as I can see is to show that at their hearts the heroes of the mu are just as selfish and just as willing to murder to save people they love and the world they live on. Dr. Strange out and out murdered the heroes of that world and then Namor blew up the world. In the next issue the Illuminati -save for Namor who went out and gathered the Cabal (who will quite happily murder, loot and rape before they get around to destroying those worlds), sulked and just gave up and waited for the end.

The story is structured in such a way that men who have never given up have given up. That men who held to principle and honor have junked them both, tampering with Captain America's mind, constructing weapons that can blow up worlds, not telling anyone... It's probably the most complete attack on the characters and what they once stood for I've ever seen and it fits perfectly with the amoral writing style that marvel has adopted since Avengers Dissasembled.

Your missing the point. You are right that the illuminati will do what needs to be done to survive but so would you in that situation. You can't possibly tell me you would let your friends and loved one's die, just because you don't want to taint yourself by doing what needs to be done. If Strange hadn't killed the Great Society then once again the Marvel Universe would be dead, do you want that??? I'm assuming no, because they are our heroes and our eyes and ears. They gave up and waited for the end because they didn't want to kill another world, because they were disgusted at their actions and it was an impactful statement.

It's not amoral writing. Because the illuminati members clearly have morals. Black Panther refused to pull the trigger and was disowned by his own father for it, you don't think that was him standing by his morals??? Richards and Beast spent hours trying to finds ways to not destroy earths, but when there was no other way they had to make the hard choice. This is a complicated story about morality, trust, and, egos. It's not simplistic black and white good versus evil story telling.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah said:

@mark_stephen said:@micah: And the other universe is dead. That's the real point, the real goal of the story as far as I can see is to show that at their hearts the heroes of the mu are just as selfish and just as willing to murder to save people they love and the world they live on. Dr. Strange out and out murdered the heroes of that world and then Namor blew up the world. In the next issue the Illuminati -save for Namor who went out and gathered the Cabal (who will quite happily murder, loot and rape before they get around to destroying those worlds), sulked and just gave up and waited for the end.

Your missing the point. You are right that the illuminati will do what needs to be done to survive but so would you in that situation. You can't possibly tell me you would let your friends and loved one's die, just because you don't want to taint yourself by doing what needs to be done. If Strange hadn't killed the Great Society then once again the Marvel Universe would be dead, do you want that??? I'm assuming no, because they are our heroes and our eyes and ears. They gave up and waited for the end because they didn't want to kill another world, because they were disgusted at their actions and it was an impactful statement.

It's not amoral writing. Because the illuminati members clearly have morals. Black Panther refused to pull the trigger and was disowned by his own father for it, you don't think that was him standing by his morals??? Richards and Beast spent hours trying to finds ways to not destroy earths, but when there was no other way they had to make the hard choice. This is a complicated story about morality, trust, and, egos. It's not simplistic black and white good versus evil story telling.

Well said.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#49  Edited By Teerack

Ugh.

There was too much happening at once. This is like the 4th issue of Original Sin all over again just a huge mess.

I kind of don't believe that these two sentinels should be that big of a deal. In New Avengers Strange has proven to be much much stronger then Tony ever knew, and Tony has tried to build something to take down the Hulk lots of times and failed... it just seems a little too Dues Ex to say Tony Stark knew how to kill everyone all along.

bloggerboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah: I think it's a thin line between iconic superheroic characters doing choices real humans wouldn't do and between realistic storytelling.

We want flawed heroes but when that flaw is "I won't kill no matter what", that's seen as a big no no just because it's something you and me WOULD DO.