#1 Edited by VampireSelektor (749 posts) - - Show Bio

The word "mutant" implies otherness. It's not hard to label a person a mutant and disassociate him from humanity (think: Ned Ralston). Barring Morrison's somewhat ignored work on mutant culture, there's little flattering about the word.

Andrew Wheeler of ComicsAlliance points out how part of rejecting an unwanted label means means offering an alternative. Black people, for example, rejecting "negro" for "Afro-American". Now let's look at DC Comics: their empowered humans don't suffer the same stigma as mutants. Humans don't think metahumans are out to get them or vice versa. It's understandable; a "metahuman" is still considered human. Instead of mutant, why not metahuman?

If Havok had ended his speech with that question, we might be singing a different tune.

#2 Edited by VampireSelektor (749 posts) - - Show Bio

bump

#3 Posted by fodigg (6130 posts) - - Show Bio

Metahuman isn't specific to mutants. Closer than "human", but not mutant specific.

#4 Posted by VampireSelektor (749 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg: "Metahuman" encompasses mutants and mutates. Human Torch and Beast both have mutated genes. But who gets the bigotry? Beast. If the X-gene is the future of humanity, is it wise to disassociate born-metahumans as "mutants"? Again, "mutant" implies otherness. Not different, but other. The Inhumans have origins on Earth, right? Would you consider an Inhuman a human? No, the name speaks for itself. "Metahuman" presses a X-carrier's humanity on a person. As far as alternatives go, I don't have answer yet. It is easy how an non-powered human could regard and fear a powered "mutant" as other, though. Pride or not, it's a matter of perception.

If mutant culture was better represented in comics, it might be a different story.

#5 Posted by lorex (939 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think Havok is ashamed of being a mutant but us tired of the word mutant being used a pejorative. Its to the point where in the
Marvel Universe most peoples first reaction to hearing the word mutant is negative and that I believe is what Alex does not like.

#6 Posted by ShadowX (1192 posts) - - Show Bio

My thoughts on the matter are the same as kitty prydes.

#7 Posted by cameron83 (6499 posts) - - Show Bio

@shadowx said:

My thoughts on the matter are the same as kitty prydes.

A-FREAKING-MEN!!

Just read the issue and I LOVE her response...

#8 Posted by ShadowX (1192 posts) - - Show Bio