• 60 results
#51 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4566 posts) - - Show Bio

@teerack said:

@oldnightcrawler: I'm realizing I phrased my post super wrong :P I meant. How can he consider characters like Monica just a second wave character when she was a big part of the avengers for years.

I think if he said Nextwave characters, specifically, he was probably talking about the characters from this book:

Monica was the leader of this team, and I'm guessing he just prefers this version of the character enough to not revert her back to her more traditional superhero ways. Which is a bit of a shame, because this is the version of the character I'd be most interested in seeing interact with the Avengers.

#52 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4566 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler:

He's been quite specific about it. Couple of kinda similar quotes:

"One of the first things we all agreed on is that the roster should look more like the world. So far we've seen the biggest and most iconic characters, but as we reach issues #7 and #8, we'll see more new characters and characters we're reviving or recreating. Eventually there will be 24 characters. 12 will be either female or minority characters." - Jonathan Hickman

On the expanded Avengers lineup, Hickman says it was agreed upon that the roster should “look more like the world.” “What people have seen so far are the biggest and most iconic characters that everyone knows or has some familiarity with,” Hickman continues. “As we reach #7 and #8, the book is populated with new or revised versions of established characters.” There will be about 24 characters on the team in total. “By the time we get to 22 characters on the book, 12 are either female or minority, and we feel like we’ve accomplished what we’ve set out to do, which is a book that looks like the world.”

Huh. well, I have no idea in that case.

But if he actually wanted to make the Avenger "look like the world" in terms of diversity, out of 24 characters, probably 13 of them should be women and only 1 or 2 of them should be Caucasian.

I really doubt that's going to happen, though, especially given that Cap' refered to the Uncanny team as "the Avengers Diversity Squad", with 2/3 of the team being male and only one of them being not white.

#53 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6289 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler: I hadn't really thought about the ratio of races represented, as I don't know exactly how they're shared out over the world, but there at least should be roughly half and half between men and women.

I haven't read Uncanny yet(I'm getting caught up, but not all of my issues have been delivered yet), but I think I've heard of them being called that. I kinda thought it meant diversity as in having more mutants on an Avengers team, seeing as at the start it was two Avengers(Captain America and Thor), two X-Men(Rogue and Havok) and two mutant Avengers(Scarlet Witch and Wolverine) But I haven't read any of it yet, so maybe I'm wrong.

#54 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4566 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose: that's how Cap' introduces them to the press in the latest issue (issue 5), but, yeah, I'm sure that's why.

The first arc (issues 1-4) was a little slow, but #5 was pretty satisfying. It's the first issue where there really seems to be a team, and the first time we get any distinctive personality from Havoc; I'm diggin' it.

As for representational racial or ethnic diversity, let's put it this way, if the Avengers wanted to really do this, and keep their most iconic members on the team, the writers would basically have to come up with probably at least a hundred new characters, because Marvel's character base just isn't that diverse overall.

But, getting back to (what I assume is) the theme of this thread, you know who I think would be worthy candidates for the Avengers?

these guys: M and Northstar.

#55 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6289 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler: Hopefully it'll stay satisfying then, otherwise I'll feel silly for getting caught up. :P

Oh. I suppose it would be possible to do, but you'd have to have quite a few titles with big teams. Probably wouldn't work out. At least they're trying to have some other races represented though.

I don't really know anything about M or Northstar. What would make them worthy Avengers?

#56 Posted by TDK_1997 (14896 posts) - - Show Bio

He was a New Avenger.

#57 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4566 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler:

Hopefully it'll stay satisfying then, otherwise I'll feel silly for getting caught up. :P

Oh. I suppose it would be possible to do, but you'd have to have quite a few titles with big teams. Probably wouldn't work out. At least they're trying to have some other races represented though.

oh, yeah, no, I totally think that's worth doing, and I'm glad to see them moving in that direction. Avengers, as a book, has classically always been about showcasing the diversity of marvel's pantheon by teaming the recognized classics with the more obscure hidden gems, and, to me, this latest membership drive is just a more socially aware move in that direction.

I don't really know anything about M or Northstar. What would make them worthy Avengers?

M has the basic superhero power set (super strength, durability, flight), plus she's telepathic, which almost no other Avengers are. She's a mutant and was trained in her powers by Emma Frost, Banshee, and Gateway during her time on Generation X. She's also spent a few years as a private investigator for X-factor. She grew up in Monaco before moving to the States, and also has citizenship in Bosnia and Algeria, so beyond having a useful power and skill set, she has a pretty broad world veiw compared to most Avengers.

Northstar is probably the most interesting character to come out of the original Alpha Flight. And he's done at least three different stints as an X-man. He's an openly gay, French Canadian (though we don't really make that distinction here) mutant, with a largely overlooked power set; generally thought of as a "speedster" (like Quicksilver), people forget that that makes him super strong and tough, because a regular human body can't endure mach-whatever speeds. Also (like Quicksilver), it means that his mind has to be able to react at super speeds, and he's therefore more than a little arrogant. Plus he can fly. oh, And he has some rarely used light based powers. Anyway, I've always thought he was really cool.

Plus, either of these (in my mind) classic characters would add that much more diversity to the mostly white, heteronormative vibe that the Avengers seem to be trying to get away from, so there's that.

#58 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6289 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler:They both sound like possibilities then. I'm wondering when we'll see more members joining. The solicits don't seem to offer many clues, as far as I can see anyway.

#59 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4566 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose: oh, I doubt either of them will be invited any time in the foreseeable future, I'd just really like it if they were :)

#60 Edited by omegma (124 posts) - - Show Bio

@fesak Please help me out here.

#61 Edited by omegma (124 posts) - - Show Bio