Follow

Avengers

Team » Avengers appears in 7701 issues.

The Avengers are Earth's mightiest heroes and foremost super-team... "There came a day, a day unlike any other, when Earth's mightiest heroes found themselves united against a common threat. On that day, the Avengers were born - to fight the foes no single super hero could withstand! Heed the call, then - for now, the Avengers Assemble!"

Why would the Avengers auto invite female Thor

• 81 results
    killraven4334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By killraven4334

It doesn't make any sense that they would invite this Thorwench to an Avengers team, she just showed up, stole Thors hammer, nobody knows who she is, why would they trust her?Being an Avenger used to mean something, now its seems like, "OH YOU GOT POWERS HUE HUE BE AVENGER HUE HUE" The whole thing is so PIS.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Spidey_Jackson

I kinda agree with you. The Avengers have gone down the toilet.

Beata

KaraZor-el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like thorwench.

Better than fem-thor

Better than she-thor

Thorbroad sucks

Thor OdinsChick sucks

Thor OdinsDotter is ok

Thunderess is cool

Longhair might now be appropriate

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sorry but when did they show her joining the Avengers or is this more overreacting before it even happens?

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By ShadowSwordmaster
    killraven4334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By killraven4334
    @shadowswordmaster said:

@killraven4334: When did she join the Avengers ?

She is on the cover art of the new Avengers book with Superior IronMan, Cap Falcon and a whole host of others.

No Caption Provided

KaraZor-el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By KaraZor-el
    Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

@killraven4334: You do know that was a promo image for the Avengers Now ,like what they did with Marvel Now and All New Marvel Now ?

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@killraven4334: Yeah soooo just because she's on the cover with no actual background it must mean "herp derp you should just join Avengers because..." That's a rather idiotic way of looking at things dontcha think?

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

Dunno. But you could also ask why they keep relics from WWII and the Cold War around?

Just call her Thunder Goddess and get over it.

killraven4334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

I always knew the Thor fan base was full of stupid people who's mind never managed to develop past the adolescent state, but I must say this new Thor sure has manged to make all of those people even more amusing.

You must be a child. I grew up with Thor, he is not just a mantle, he was an icon. I have collected Thor since the 70's and to have something you spent so much time and effort into utterly disrespected the way Thor has been cuts deep. This has nothing to do with sexism, it has to do with an Icon being replaced for no other reason and a trumped up story destroying what was most precious about Thor, his worthiness, and on top of it all stealing his name adding insult to injury. You want to create a powerful female character, that's great, you do not need to tear down an institution like Thor to do it. Thor has always been more than just a comic book hero, hes a Norse god. The god of my people for centuries before Christianity came to Europe, and to tarnish his name, remove his worth, and replace him like nothing? That level of disrespect will breed contempt for the would be usurper. Do not speak on matters you know nothing about, you only make yourself look foolish.

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@killraven4334: You can't say that stuff on Comicvine. It's a child friendly site.

...You shouldn't be throwing c#nt around in real life either. Just a tip.

KaraZor-el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

killraven4334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonez120 said:

@killraven4334: You can't say that stuff on Comicvine. It's a child friendly site.

...You shouldn't be throwing c#nt around in real life either. Just a tip.

Where I live it is not an insult, it merely describes female anatomy, I believe the US is the only country that takes it as some grave insult.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@killraven4334: It's considered a grave insult when you use it out of context and meant as an insult like here, no different than if someone started calling him Thordick or similar.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#21  Edited By SC  Moderator

@teerack: @killraven4334: Hello. No personal insults or calling other fans/users, stupid, young, teenage, fool and so on. Avoid it please.

Also killraven4334 one of your posts was deleted, it contained inappropriate terminology which isn't allowed at CV. CV has a no swearing policy, and not as stringent but please be careful about throwing around certain words like "slut" too much context depending. The request here is to try and be more thoughtful and mindful of other posters. The main thing though is no swearing.

If either of you have questions feel free to PM me, off topic replies will be deleted, so will posts that are/contain insults towards others. Thanks.

DarkDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:
    @killraven4334 said:
    @teerack said:

I always knew the Thor fan base was full of stupid people who's mind never managed to develop past the adolescent state, but I must say this new Thor sure has manged to make all of those people even more amusing.

You must be a child. I grew up with Thor, he is not just a mantle, he was an icon. I have collected Thor since the 70's and to have something you spent so much time and effort into utterly disrespected the way Thor has been cuts deep. This has nothing to do with sexism, it has to do with an Icon being replaced for no other reason and a trumped up story destroying what was most precious about Thor, his worthiness, and on top of it all stealing his name adding insult to injury. You want to create a powerful female character, that's great, you do not need to tear down an institution like Thor to do it. Thor has always been more than just a comic book hero, hes a Norse god. The god of my people for centuries before Christianity came to Europe, and to tarnish his name, remove his worth, and replace him like nothing? That level of disrespect will breed contempt for the would be usurper. Do not speak on matters you know nothing about, you only make yourself look foolish.

See what I mean?

If you are older then me you're proving my point because you're coming off extremely teenage.

Personally I love Thor, but the way people are acting about this...I don't understand it at all.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#23  Edited By Teerack

@killraven4334: Oh boy. The vocab you're using is making your pseudo-intellectual post so transparent.

Thor is still around and now has a ton of room to grow as a character, but in your simple way of looking at things you go "Thor losing the hammer means Thor might be getting a power downgrade! THAT MEANS THOR IS RUINED! Time to go on the internet and insult the new Thor for being a girl. Hahaha yeah I called her a wench and then a c**t! /badass" That's pretty much the sum of this thread. You're way of think is just based around how many push ups a guy can do, so it is very adolescent and sad. You can try to cover it up with shallow arguments like "Thor's not a mantle!" which you can only really say if you ignore a good chunk of the late 80s and early 90s where Eric Masterson took over the mantle of Thor while the first Thor was unable to, and when Odin was ready to hand the Mantle of Thor over to Beta Ray Bill if he could beat his son in a fight for the Hammer. That all aside I'm not really interested in trying to argue with you or sell you on any story. If you want to close your mind to new things that's not really my concern.

Avatar image for tenebrous_guile
    Tenebrous_Guile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was going to throw up a long rant at you but I see that all of my posts have been covered by everyone else on this thread.

T_Aesir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By T_Aesir

US citizens and marvel please understand one thing THOR the Norse god is the most recognizable and admired hero in all Scandinavia, if marvel want s to adapt him to comics to praise him and his adventures it s OK, if marvel chooses to disrespect what Thor symbolizes in Scandinavian popular culture it s NOT OK, because you are offending a national symbol of Iceland, Norway, Sweden and Denmark.

If marvel wants to make changes in the core essential elements of the character THOR, STOP CALLING HIM THOR, Thor is not your symbol, dosen t have any connection with your culture, why do you think that you have morality to change the Character??? and dosen t matter how marvel is butching him in the comics, HE WILL SURVIVE IN SCANDINAVIAN POPULAR CULTURE.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@sc said:

@teerack: @killraven4334: Hello. No personal insults or calling other fans/users, stupid, young, teenage, fool and so on. Avoid it please.

Also killraven4334 one of your posts was deleted, it contained inappropriate terminology which isn't allowed at CV. CV has a no swearing policy, and not as stringent but please be careful about throwing around certain words like "slut" too much context depending. The request here is to try and be more thoughtful and mindful of other posters. The main thing though is no swearing.

this is kind of off-topic, but am I the only one who finds the term "slut" way more offensive than swearing?

I mean, I'm not saying that to advocate swearing, it's just that while swearing might be base and vulgar, it's not as personally offensive or dehumanizing as an actual slur, which is what the term slut is.

It seems it should at least be as offensive as calling someone a faggot or a dyke, since it dehumanizes them on essentially the same basis (as in, who they choose to sleep with).. right?

killraven4334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: not really, because slut is not indicative of bigotry, plenty of men are sluts, and its more colloquial for prostitute, where as the terms you mentioned have no use in the US except for their homophobic nature, in the UK however the first term actually means cigarette and is not insulting

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: not really, because slut is not indicative of bigotry, plenty of men are sluts, and its more colloquial for prostitute, where as the terms you mentioned have no use in the US except for their homophobic nature, in the UK however the first term actually means cigarette and is not insulting

yeah it is, it just totally is.

if we call intolerance for homosexuality homophobia, then slut-shaming would likewise be a phobia of polyamory, open relationships, pre- or extramarital sex, or even the desire to want sex at all, depending on what you're prejudging someone for.

Anyway you slice it, it's equally dehumanizing.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

...Not gonna lie. I know very little about Marvel and the Avengers.

With that said, from what I gather they tend to break up, split off, and reform somewhat often and usually with a host of new members every time. With the number of characters that have been Avengers, would Thor II joining be that huge a deal?

killraven4334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By killraven4334
    @oldnightcrawler said:

@killraven4334 said:

yeah it is, it just totally is.

if we call intolerance for homosexuality homophobia, then slut-shaming would likewise be a phobia of polyamory, open relationships, pre- or extramarital sex, or even the desire to want sex at all, depending on what you're prejudging someone for.

Anyway you slice it, it's equally dehumanizing

no its not, being a slut is a choice, being homosexual is not, you can criticize people because of their choices, not how they were born

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler said:

Anyway you slice it, it's equally dehumanizing

no its not, being a slut is a choice, being homosexual is not, you can criticize people because of their choices, not how they were born

no, you can criticize people for either, but the basis for criticism in this case is equally weak.

KaraZor-el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By KaraZor-el

Dont call her thorwench. People are sensitive about that one.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#34 SC  Moderator

@oldnightcrawler: Hello. I tend to think its an age, generation, nationality, cultural thing. The power and effect of words differs across those different categories, they overlap naturally, the actual process of communication alternatively tends to be much more straight forward as far as intent and reception.

As in the intent individuals have behind a word and the way others receive a word. Many individuals will have a damning, negative, intent/attitude behind words, and thats usually what I think should be addressed rather than the word itself (as far as personal approach), with the word slut specifically, there is actually a pretty strong movement in favor of the word in recent times, most notably Slutwalks, protest/parade marches undertaken by individuals and groups who oppose and criticize the notion and idea that woman have to dress a certain way for their own good. It was sparked when a police officer who was extremely ignorant about rape, rape statistics and circumstance that leads to rape made the unsound but common point that if females dressed a certain way they would avoid rape. Which is just categorically wrong, rapists rape for primarily power reasons, not sexual reasons, sex just happens to be the weapon behind the intent and secondary aspect (from the rapists point of view) - anyway the main point being that for many large groups of individuals, the term slut has been successfully defanged. That and even used as a gender neutral compliment, or term of endearment. As in there is nothing wrong with being a slut, as in there is nothing wrong with males and females of consenting age, choosing to engage in healthy sexual activity or wearing whatever they wish to within the law, and if that means they are a slut then raise our glasses to sluts. That sort of attitude.

So the word has a bit more general ambiguity than a few others words which remain generally more offensive, especially as far as region locked. So its about context. Swear words are a general no no, primarily I presume to mirror how swearing is in society/school, but in times past there have been situations where the use of the word slut was warned against. As far as rules and application, the outright negative use of the word will be reprimanded, used against another user as an insult would get a fairly heavy punishment, a ban at least. More neutral applications against fictional characters will depend.

Its an interesting conversation for sure, I would participate if someone made an Off Topic thread for such discussion.

killraven4334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dont call her thorwench. People are sensitive about that one.

No, Thor uses the term wench throughout his books, Thorwench therefor is not only in character but shows the appropriate level of disrespect for someone whose very creation has forced PIS disrespect of our beloved Thor.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a bit worrying to see someone so desperately trying to defend a non-existing right to be insulting.

It's fine not to like the changes, but do bring it out of the gutters so we can all talk about it.

@t_aesir: But not Marvel's Thor, who is more or less based how Wagner would have imagined him visually and married with the voice of a Shakesperian character.

T_Aesir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By T_Aesir

@outside_85: What happen to the expression "stop bothering me" , From the other topic?

26 days, ago you said This

"As for my reading habits, no I don't read Thor regularly because most writers fail at making him any interesting to read about"

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles-7/avengers-vs-wonder-woman-579230/?page=17#js-message-12498435

You have no Arguments, you have no interest in this character you said it loud and clear, Jason Aaron still will be the Writer of the female Thor, what s the interest now? just because she is a female the plot is instantly better for you? YOU ARE NOT WORTHY !!!

This PARASITE WAY to bring this new female superhero is an offense to all Women that are independent and construct their own careers by themselves,they don t need a Host, THEY ARE WORTHY.

MARVEL THOR IS AN ADAPTATION FROM THE NORSE GOD THOR who dosen t understand that is !!!!

Loading Video...

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Outside_85

@t_aesir: It amuses me to watch people like you making yourselves look like fools for stupid reasons, keep it up, I am amused.

T_Aesir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: it s just another way to say that you have no arguments...

We were done after the other topic "How Thor loses his Hammer" i honored what i said to you, I never reply to you anymore since i was bothering you, why do you reply to me?

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great just great, this is exactly what the vine needs more ''Thor Fans'' who cry and moan.

T_Aesir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180 said:

Great just great, this is exactly what the vine needs more ''Thor Fans'' who cry and moan.

Did someone force you to read or comment in this topic? There s a lot of another topics out there in the vine...

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@t_aesir: I dont need to do anything, you are proving your own foolishness quite fine without me.

PS: Do grow up, Scandinavia and us people who live here don't care one bit for what Marvel does with one of its characters. If we were that pissy about such things we would have sued Jack Kirby.

T_Aesir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By T_Aesir

@outside_85: What do you know about Scandinavia? Do you live here, tell me where in a Private Message and maybe we can meet in Denmark, and talk about this in person no need to bother other Comivine users with our posts anymore...

No Caption Provided

What you say? We could watch together this statue...

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@t_aesir: Why the hell would I want to meet someone like you?

T_Aesir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To learn about Scandinavian Culture.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Doesn't everyone get an auto invite to the Avengers?

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@t_aesir said:
    @outside_85 said:

From someone who appears to live in the US? ha, no thank you.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I see no reason Thor shouldn't be on the avengers still. I mean actual thor not the fake female thor.

But if female Thor is on the avengers that wouldn't make much sense. They don't know her or trust her, and not just anyone can be on the avengers. Certainly not just by affiliation with another member.

T_Aesir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By T_Aesir
    @outside_85 said:

@t_aesir said:
    @outside_85 said:

You should know that i don t live in the US and i live in non speaking English language country read my posts and see how i butch (without intention) your language, why do i lie? what would be my point? I guarantee to you that i live in Europe, and i only like comics that are associated with Norse Mythology i have no interest in other comics, and with so many characters to butch why marvel had to butch Thor?

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Outside_85

@t_aesir said:
    @outside_85 said:

@t_aesir said:
    @outside_85 said:

You should know that i don t live in the US and i live in non speaking language country read my posts and see how i butch (without intention) your language, why do i lie? what would be my point? I guarantee to you that i live in Europe, and i only like comics that are associated with Norse Mythology i have no interest in other comics, and with so many characters to butch why marvel had to butch Thor?

You aren't butchering my language, you are butchering someone's language intentionally by the looks of it, but not mine. And as you've asked, I live a short bike ride away from these guys:

No Caption Provided

And why would Marvel do this? Same reason they do everything else; to tell new stories.

TBH, the reason I find the moaning over this change so interesting is that you and others have gone into a fit of rage, claiming it's ruined Thor before a single issue have hit the stands, and yet your Thor is still alive and well and still active within the Marvel U and more than likely the same guy you were reading about 3 months ago. All that's changed is the weapon he carries and someone else has picked up his old one.

If anything really, the amount of outrage only shows how needed this change was for Thor, regardless of how long it lasts. And before you say something about me not being able to relate to this, then know I am a great fan of Wonder Woman and we had to go through something similar 20 years ago:

No Caption Provided

Giving us one of the few (or only) enduring additions to Diana's support casts in nearly 30 years.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.