Uncanny Avengers #9 is really good.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

This is really becoming my favorite Avengers comic, and this issue is exactly the kind of great character interaction that that's making me love it.

First off, I'm glad to see the members of the team actually engaging with the implications of Havok's controversial speech. It would have been a real waste of story potential to not see those ideas revisited and dissected, and we even get the sense that the dialogue is now ongoing and sure to resurface, which is encouraging.

More than that, it really feels like the different character's perspectives on the issue are really rooted in their individual histories. I notice this book has received some criticism for writing some of the characters out of character to stress the tension of the group's dynamic, and I feel this is probably most the case for Rogue and the Scarlet Witch. But it definitely feels like this issue makes sense of the character's positions, even if it does so in a way that leans heavily on more classic character history and less contemporary interpretations of the characters.

I guess my favorite thing was probably the way that things came to a head between the main characters near the end of the issue, finally starting to deal with the transgressions of Wolverine's recent past. Most intense moment I've seen in the Avengers in too long. Actually, this whole issue is pretty intense, but not so much so that we don't get some satisfying and inspiring moments from both Wonder-man and Thor. Wonder-man especially, as the character I was least interested in, initially, is quickly becoming a favorite in this book.

Actually, my other favorite thing about this issue had to be the art. Daniel Acuna is a singular genius, and he's giving this story arc a distinct aesthetic unlike anything else out there, just epic, and this issue is no exception.

The big "reveal" at the end of the book was probably the least interesting thing about this issue, but the rest of it was great, and I can't wait to see more.

tg1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@oldnightcrawler:

Totally agree. Also I'm a Wanda fan so for her to get her opinion out in the debate with Rogue was pretty awesome, and for the record, I think she schooled Rogue in that debate. :-)

I liked how everything came to a head between Wolverine and Captain America, I haven't seen Cap THAT pissed in a long time!!!! Cap got HEATED!!!! LOL. All in all this is my favorite Avengers book right now.

And lastly, a great summarization by you! Good job. :-)

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I agree, I really liked this issue.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tg1982: yeah it's definitely my favorite right now.

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Read the review, glad to see the team falling apart. Rogue and Scarlet Witch's constant in fighting and the X-men and Avenger's rivalry with one another is just not getting things done. Killing the concept is a mercy killing the villains crossing over to other teams is much more interesting than Havok and Cap's desperate plan to unite human and mutants is a joke. I mean if the X-men failed at uniting the two races what chance does the is team have. They should have just written this as a regular Avenger's story with them fixing the X-men's mess again. As to the out of character I found it horrid that Thor said he knew Wolverine for long time "HOW!?" Thor was mostly on either Asgard or in his own adventures. Damn Flashpoint Oh I meant AOU.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Read the review, glad to see the team falling apart. Rogue and Scarlet Witch's constant in fighting and the X-men and Avenger's rivalry with one another is just not getting things done. Killing the concept is a mercy killing the villains crossing over to other teams is much more interesting than Havok and Cap's desperate plan to unite human and mutants is a joke. I mean if the X-men failed at uniting the two races what chance does the is team have. They should have just written this as a regular Avenger's story with them fixing the X-men's mess again. As to the out of character I found it horrid that Thor said he knew Wolverine for long time "HOW!?" Thor was mostly on either Asgard or in his own adventures. Damn Flashpoint Oh I meant AOU.

haha.. well, it's not like this is the first time Thor and Wolverine have been on the Avengers together. I think the first time they worked together in the comics was in 1984 (in the Secret Wars), but given that both of them were around before the age of marvel superheroes really started, it seems just as likely (in a comic book way) that they could have met before then.

Even besides that, I personally would have found it out of character (not to mention hypocritical) if Thor hadn't stuck up for Wolverine, given all the slaying and smiting he's done over the centuries.

Out of curiosity, have you actually been reading this book?

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: I have from issue 5 to 8 even enjoyed for what it was worth than when Marvel pulled that Flash- opps, I meant Age of Ultron ending in #10 I decided to leave Marvel altogether since all the old continuity I enjoyed is rewritten just to make the history of the Marvel U. Be more convienient for writers to mold in their writing. I just found it altogether lazy. I do see Thor standing up for Wolverine just that too me he should barely know Wolverine or any of the X-men outside of Storm. Given how ignorant both teams are to each other.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tigerkaya: I haven't been reading Age of Ultron or any of the AoU tie in issues (nor do I intend to), so I've only read up to issue 9. So far I'm loving the book, so if the next issues set in an alternate or new universe, I can't really see that making a difference to me. Most stories don't need a unified continuity anyway.

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: I prefer unified continuity myself, its what makes the Marvel U. unique. Now that everything been Flashpoint it just makes the writers themselves lazy in constructing a story without the research. But to each is own.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

@oldnightcrawler: I prefer unified continuity myself, its what makes the Marvel U. unique. Now that everything been Flashpoint it just makes the writers themselves lazy in constructing a story without the research. But to each is own.

What are you talking about? Age Of Ultron doesn't seem to have changed that much. It's not like they're rebooting things.

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@v_scarlotte_rose: But now they have to give a reason to the retcons being the work of Wolverine. So whenever I'm reading a Marvel title involving a new retcon I'm painfully reminded of Wolverine is the cause. 616 Nick Fury and Ultimate Nick switch universe "Wolverine did it!", Ben Grimm's the cause of Doom's failed experiment "Wolverine did it!" I will give Marvel credit it was more subtle than DC's reboot.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

@oldnightcrawler: the "big reveal" cemented this book for me . i didn't care much for the first arc but kang and the apocalypse twins is great . glad im not alone on this .

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soa said:

@oldnightcrawler: the "big reveal" cemented this book for me . i didn't care much for the first arc but kang and the apocalypse twins is great . glad im not alone on this .

me too.

Avatar image for New_World_Order
New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When does next issue come out?

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When does next issue come out?

wow, I have no idea. Issue 11 is slated for the end of August on the Marvel releases calendar, but I can't find issue 10 on there anywhere. Maybe it's behind schedule so they just don't know yet.

Anyone else hear anything about this?

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@oldnightcrawler:

Uncanny Avengers #10 should come out on July 17th if everything goes as planned.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler:

Uncanny Avengers #10 should come out on July 17th if everything goes as planned.

cool! thanks!

how did you find out?

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@oldnightcrawler:

This site called comiclist.com. I have been going there a year for comic release dates, and they have never been wrong. And actually I checked again, it's supposed to come out on the 24th not the 17th.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This was a very good issue. Probably my favourite one of the series so far.

New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180 said:

@oldnightcrawler: how does sentry and Daken get resurrected ?

It hasn't been shown completely other than it was from the use of death seeds.

@oldnightcrawler:

Cool.

New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler:

This site called comiclist.com. I have been going there a year for comic release dates, and they have never been wrong. And actually I checked again, it's supposed to come out on the 24th not the 17th.

That's a long wait. :(

Avatar image for magnificentstorm
MagnificentStorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do like the arc an the series as a whole. But its really just a way for the Avengers to get into the X-mens business an try to handle what they already know how to handle.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180 said:

@oldnightcrawler: how does sentry and Daken get resurrected ?

with some contrived mystic artifact mumbo jumbo or something. Didn't seem that important.

@oldnightcrawler:

cool, thanks!

This was a very good issue. Probably my favourite one of the series so far.

my feelings exactly. though, I have already said that a few times with this series.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great book, it should get more attention.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great book, it should get more attention.

absolutely. For me it's the best Avengers book going, maybe the best in years.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't understand why this book does not sell better, the story is pretty good and it has a cast that has dysfunction that reminds me of the original Avengers cast.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By oldnightcrawler

I don't understand why this book does not sell better, the story is pretty good and it has a cast that has dysfunction that reminds me of the original Avengers cast.

I know, right? and some of the best artist going, too.

I think some people can't get around that some X-men characters are also superheroes. just a hunch.

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: Oh were aware their superheroes we just prefer the Avengers and X-men to hate each other.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: Oh were aware their superheroes we just prefer the Avengers and X-men to hate each other.

haha! alright, have fun with that!