Monica Rambeau is Spectrum now?

Blacharrt1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Photon, Pulsar, Captain Marvel... Why do they keep changing her name, it just makes it more confusing and harder for people to keep up with her. It's amazing that she has been the leader of the Avengers yet a lot of people still don't know who she is. Photon and Pulsar, and Captain Marvel names have all be taken from her does that show a serious lack of respect ?

What do you think about this? Will this name be permanent? Why do you think they keep changing her name ? and How can they give Monica more appeal besides her new showing in Mighty Avengers?

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By PowerHerc

She has had way too many names. This does make it hard for readers to identify her and keep up with her plus it makes it harder for her character to establish a legacy of her own due to having shared names with too many other characters.

She never should've been called "Captain Marvel" , so they started out on the wrong foot back in the early 80's, but I don't see why they didn't settle on one name for her a long time ago.

Photon was good. Pulsar was okay. Now it's Spectrum, huh?

That's four names in her slightly more than 30 year history. That's too bad.

Blacharrt1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Blacharrt1

She has had way too many names. This does make it hard for readers to identify her and keep up with her plus it makes it harder for her character to establish a legacy of her own due to having shared names with too many other characters.

She never should've been called "Captain Marvel" , so they started out on the wrong foot back in the early 80's, but I don't see why they didn't settle on one name for her a long time ago.

Photon was good. Pulsar was okay. Now it's Spectrum, huh?

That's four names in her slightly more than 30 year history. That's too bad.

So do you think this name will stick? Besides giving her a new name can you think of another way they can give her mass appeal?

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@blacharrt1: Considering Marvel's history concerning Monica don't know if the name will stick or not.

As for mass appeal, who knows? I don't.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It hurts the character, how can you build on a name when it changes so often.

This is a waste of a potentially good character.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The_Titan_Lord

Yeah. Still if it helps her in the long run don't see the problem with it.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blacharrt1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

with what exactly? I mean if people can't identify with a character, how can they connect to them. I call her photon but that could be Genis-vell whom is more popular than her. He also stole captain marvel from her and Pulsar. So she's actually overshadowed. Now Ms. Marvel is Captain Marvell, but even Captain Marvell came back briefly for the AvX event. So again she is overshadowed, when you think of those name generally you don't think of her. Now could Spectrum stick, that is the real question? How long will marvel allow her to retain this name/identity, and will they actually promote it?

I think in my opinion one of the best ways to really push her in this new identity, is to give her her own series, because even Spectrum can be confused with another popular character, Dr. Spectrum from squadron supreme. This i think would really let her stand on her own, however she might suffer from bad sells if she isn't promoted right.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

She should have stayed Photon, That was a good name. No good reason to change it.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can see the same issue happening to Carol Danvers now also.

Blacharrt1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Blacharrt1

@dernman: I really didn't understand why they did that either... I liked her as Photon as well. It fit her.

@spider11211 said:

I can see the same issue happening to Carol Danvers now also.

But Carol has her own series highlighting her as Captain Marvel, the same as Ms. Marvel. Besides she has been in countless titles now and has gotten a lot of exposure. I remember that big hype they had about her new look to go along with her new name.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By spider11211

I agree but it seems that her titles do not do very well (the recent one looks like it is on the bubble).

I think Carol deserves better she could be bumped up in Marvel.

Blacharrt1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spider11211: Carol seems more essential to the Marvel universe in general, in my opinion. She always seems to be in the center of things.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blacharrt1: She should be, she is a good character. She may be in the center but look at how the character is used, they war not using this character to her full potential.

This is very much like Iron Fist, he was an Avenger yet he hardly was used for most of the run in any way that useful except for getting blasted or punched. This should have been a great character development opportunity for the character.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I'm O.K. with Spectrum as a name, and I think it could stick.

Blacharrt1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blacharrt1: She should be, she is a good character. She may be in the center but look at how the character is used, they war not using this character to her full potential.

This is very much like Iron Fist, he was an Avenger yet he hardly was used for most of the run in any way that useful except for getting blasted or punched. This should have been a great character development opportunity for the character.

well to be fair, Iron Fist also got a lot of exposure and so did Luke Cage. I mean luke is now heading his own avengers, and also Hire for Heroes, has been carried on by Misty Knight Iron Fist old flame, plus he made a couple appearances. I would say before there current run after civil war they were still virtually unknowns.

Yeah it's true they should explore a lot of characters full potentials ... Storm really comes to mind after they what they did to her in that marriage. Spectrum should have really been pushed to be in more cosmic adventures? She would have had an awesome Annihilators i don't even know why she even still on earth. She could be an agent of S.W.O.R.D, that would be awesome.

wundagoreborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By wundagoreborn

I liked Photon. I just call her Monica. She's a cool character, even if they can't figure out her codename.

Sinisteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's in a name?

Jean Grey, Kitty Pride, Hank Pym, Donna Troy

Some characters are bigger than their code names. They are loved and followed. The value of the character rests on the contribution to story.

Marvel is very good at depicting human characters. Does it matter what Sue Storm Richards or Luke Cage call themselves? It's what they do that counts.

I know the name Monica Rambeau. The appeal of seeing her in action again was part of what brought me to the book.

I am interested to see what Monica does next no matter what her superhero name is.

Blacharrt1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's in a name?

Jean Grey, Kitty Pride, Hank Pym, Donna Troy

Some characters are bigger than their code names. They are loved and followed. The value of the character rests on the contribution to story.

Marvel is very good at depicting human characters. Does it matter what Sue Storm Richards or Luke Cage call themselves? It's what they do that counts.

I know the name Monica Rambeau. The appeal of seeing her in action again was part of what brought me to the book.

I am interested to see what Monica does next no matter what her superhero name is.

Jean Grey (marvel girl, phoenix), Kitty pride (ShadowKat, Sprite) Hank Pym (Ant Man, Yellowjacket, Wasp, Giant Man), Donna Troy (Wonder girl, Trioa). They were the first to coin their own superhero names which makes them so identifiable with other, only people who know their true identities call them by their real names. Sue Storm is the invisible woman no other person in marvel really has the same powerset as her, Luke Cage was the first Powerman, now he's going by his own name.

As a superhero it's always been a rule that you never use your real name because the people you love could be targeted, which is why superhero names are so important, but for us reading about these characters, it's also important to keep track of the characters. I personally like Monica Rambeau as her name but as a superhero name i don't think it should be used. I just think there should be some consistency with what to call her in comics. In the first Mighty Avengers Luke calls her Monica while out on the street, i thought that was just stupid, because you don't know who could be watching to me that just didn't make sense. But i also thought maybe he wasn't aware of the name change with the new costume, because they are personally friends.

Avatar image for supremehyperion
SupremeHyperion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

I'm hoping they bring back Squadron Supreme... they have Hyperion, now we have a spectrum... the team is getting back together? oh I hope so

prinplup45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes.

blkson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By blkson

no body has actually called her by that name yet and I doubt anyone will. She should simply be Monica Rambeau

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blkson said:

no body has actually called her by that name yet and I doubt anyone will. She should simply be Monica Rambeau

Didn't a policeman or someone call her that in the first issue?

blkson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By blkson

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

@blkson said:

Didn't a policeman or someone call her that in the first issue?

I mean in real life lol. Even when Marvel lists her name on an announcement it looks like "Spectrum (Monica Rambeau)"

I'm saying no one (fans/comic readers) have called her by that. They either say Photon of simply Monica.

But of course she'll be called that in the comics.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blkson: It might just take a while to get used to the new name. I've been writing it as Spectrum(Monica Rambeau), but if the name sticks for a while, I imagine I might eventually just say Spectrum.

blkson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By blkson
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#27 vance_astro  Moderator

It doesn't matter what they call her, it's not like she has a huge fanbase or Marvel actually cares about the character....

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By M3th

Pym Has Had several different names and He is doing alrigHt. However if He did Have just one name it would be easier to establisH a legacy. Same goes witH Monica.

MetH tHinks Spectrum and PHoton are solid names tHe otHer two nope. PHoton is questionable tHougH. MetH believes tHey Have cHanged Her name consistently because tHey disliked tHe name and tHougHt tHis new one would be better.

THe tHing tHat will give Monica more appeal is to keep Her name Spectrum from now on and to keep getting pusHed by Marvel. Maybe restart tHat one series everyone loves from Her and MacHine Man.

June'sVeryOwn IsBack

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

am I the only one that thinks her best name was Captain Marvel?

Maybe it's because that's how I was first introduced to her, back in the Secret Wars, or maybe it's that she's my favorite character to ever have the name.. well, I like Carol Danvers, too, but why can't there be two Captain Marvels? There's two Hawkeyes.