Marvel Characters Changing with Avengers NOW!

• 131 results
gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

There's been a few big announcements from Marvel this week. A lot of people are talking and we some some immediate reactions to the images and descriptions. Now that a few days have passed, has there been any change? How do people really feel about what's coming up?

No Caption Provided

We did talk a little about some of these changes on this week's podcast. It's understandable that some may not like Thor or Steve Rogers being replaced, especially if you have a fondness for those characters. The bottom line is these are all comic characters in stories. We may fear change sometimes but it can provide some different kinds of stories. Also, given the nature of comic books, we can assume things will eventually revert to the status quo. But there is always that small chance that maybe they won't.

Our immediate gut reaction can be overpowering at times. It's easy to be for or against something without really knowing what's coming up. Many have formed opinions solely on the images and idea of the change. Here's the official wording of what's coming up:

It all starts this October when Jason Aaron and Russell Dauterman bring the thunder in Thor #1. Bereft of his mighty magic hammer Mjölnir, Thor must contend with a new God of Thunder in the Marvel Universe – and she’s unlike anything you’ve ever seen before! Who is this new mysterious leading lady? Not even Odin knows! Prepare for a senses-shattering new beginning as the all-new Thor thunders her way through the Marvel Universe!

Then, Avengers NOW! soars to new heights in All-New Captain America #1! From superstar creators Rick Remender and Stuart Immonen comes the next evolution of the Captain America mythos. Drained of the Super-Soldier Serum, the frail Steve Rogers has handpicked his shield-wielding successor – Sam Wilson, the Falcon! But as the winged warrior assumes his new heroic mantle, he’ll have to contend with a gauntlet of Captain America’s most terrifying foes! Can the new, untested Captain America stand up to his predecessor’s most vile villains? Find out this November in All-New Captain America #1!

It only gets bolder from there as the billionaire playboy unleashes his dark side in Superior Iron Man #1! Rising comic stars Tom Taylor and Yildray Cinar craft an all-new tale of a Tony Stark you’ve never seen before! Releasing the dangerous Extremis technology to the citizens of San Francisco, he’ll transform the City by the Bay into the City of Tomorrow! But at what price? And what does a world look like when it’s consumed by technology? Find out this November in Superior Iron Man #1!

I'm willing to give them all a chance. The idea of something sort of new and a little different is exciting. We can't have the same old stories we've had for the past fifty years. But of course there may also be the feeling of "if it ain't broke..."

Now that you've had time to think about these upcoming changes, let's make if official-like in our official poll.

CLICK HERE TO VOTE ON WHICH AVENGERS NOW! CHANGES, IF ANY, YOU'RE LOOKING FORWARD TO.

Keep in mind, we're all entitled to our own opinion. Any discussion should remain civil.

CorruptedOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

GASP, hey it's cyborg.

scouts1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I might read Iron Man beacuse Tom Taylor is Australian (like me) and i want to read some of his work.

And I most probably will read Avengers when the new team starts

Mxyzptlk_CV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A better team than what they have now..I might consider buying an Avengers book..

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Those are some flowing locks

NukeA6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting but I still don't like some random female hijacking Thor's identity.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's afwul. Especially Thor part.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

lol is all that comes to mind.

Croi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Croi

But... Thor is Thor. There can't be another Thor, because Thor is the son of Odin. It's in his name. Personally I feel it's stupid. Why change these characters for the sake of being diverse instead of creatin' new ones and doin' it right.

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@croi: Yeah just name her something else.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess it's ok

dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm not furious over them like a lot are, I'm just not that interested.

Sam as Cap seems cool, I just haven't liked Remender's run on Cap.

No issues with Thor other than Marvel has been so misleading as to if she's a whole new character or she is replacing the original Thor. The way they're handling it just feels like an attention grab to make themselves appear more progressive to non-comic media by making one of it's top characters have a female version. Why not a new character or give a boost to an already existing one?

As for Iron Man, Extremis was one of the best stories to come to his character in years and Marvel really doesn't want to let the idea of the extremis serum's power go . Over use of it is kind of going to make the original story less important as the tech was supposed to be too powerful that no one could be trusted with it's capabilities. Yet Marvel just can't let go of it!

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still don't understand the whole Thor thing...I know most of this will revert in a couple of months of years,but I just dont.....

Also the new cap suit everything about it looks awful..

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm fine with the changes. Still very irritated about how the Thor announcement was made. I hate how they so matter of factly stated the new character is THE Thor, especially when the real Thor will still be in the series. I hate this was done on a show like The View. It comes off like "here, we're doing this for all of you middle aged bored housewives that don't read our comics, the hell with our current readers that do their best to read and support all of our series, despite the fact most can't afford to." They should have made these announcements in a better fashion at Comic-Con and then gone and done their pandering and marketing on these shows. Then again Comic-Con is no longer about comics, but that's for a different discussion. Anyway, it all came off as very insulting, to me at least.

blastaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By blastaar

Maybe Thor dies and gets reborn as a female like Loki has before.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm excited for Thor and pretty interested in Iron Man....Tom Taylor has been awesome on Injustice and Earth 2 so I'll definitely check out his Iron Man

I'm kind of meh about Captain America....I usually love what Remender does but his Captain America run has been lackluster

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still don't understand the whole Thor thing...I know most of this will revert in a couple of months of years,but I just dont.....

That Cap suit looks so awkward. Needs a bit more work, those pouches on his belt are getting in the way. I also don't like the upper shoulders Secret Avengers look. Red goggles and that weird V-mask thing with his hair coming out the top, not even Gambit does that anymore.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#18  Edited By The Impersonator
No Caption Provided

Pretty much, the rest are fine.

thatdudereeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

not even mad. more Stephen Strange is OK by me.

Avatar image for medulaoblaganda
medulaoblaganda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

for me i like the idea of falcon as captain america. fans need something new, after all some characters like bucky, punisher, us agent, and more as been captain america before. this doesn't bother me at all. as for Thor am not really happy about it. but lets see how this new she Thor goes lol

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Couldn't be more excited about this new Marvel Initiative. I think what Tony says is great. You can't keep telling the same stories over and over. But you CAN tell the same stories again with NEW characters! That is okay! Superior Iron Man? Dude, that's cool. Female Thor? Awesome! Captain Falcon? Not preferable but nonetheless should be a good read.

I think I'm most excited for how The Avengers book will be affected.

darkbeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not interested.

chaddum96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like it that Marvel is doing something different. But also, I don't really like how there is an overwelming change happening. I like the idea of each of these on their own: Female Thor, Falcon as Cap, and Iron Man moving. But all together just seems to be too much at once. I loved Superior Spider-Man, partially because the change of pace was on its own. But now, we look at the Avengers book, and its too much change. I want change, but also something that I can relate to because I'm already connected to the characters. But now the line up is old Steve, a new Cap(though we already know Falcon), a new Thor, Tony Stark has changed a lot. It just seems like tok much change. I hope for the best though

ivar17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I Like Angela, But If there's not a total reboot in 2015 as rumored good luck selling comics with this Cast...

Who the f...k is this new female Thor Nonsense Ripoff?

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=54183

Axel Alonso Marvel says she is Asgardian and close to Thor...

Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Couldn't they use an actual X-Man for Uncanny Avengers instead of Scarlet Witch.

I hope they don't forget about Thor Girl when it comes to the new Thor whom I will now refer to as "Goddess of Thunder" since Thor is his name not a code name.

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flameboy298 said:

That Cap suit looks so awkward. Needs a bit more work, those pouches on his belt are getting in the way. I also don't like the upper shoulders Secret Avengers look. Red goggles and that weird V-mask thing with his hair coming out the top, not even Gambit does that anymore.

Exactly. Its like not much thought was put into it looks like they just tried to mash his falcon suit up with Caps suit....just uly and the goggles are the worst part of it.

Tryplock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The team roster is pretty decent. Love the inclusion of Medusa and bringing Wanda away from the mutant drama for a bit. Dr Strange looks awesome. The new Deathlok is a kinda lame imho (the same what they did with Nick Fury - I just didn't get the point). The idea of Sam as the new Cap is kinda ok, let's hope he rises to the occasion. Personally he never struck me as a very interesting character, but you never know. I'm not sure I have an opinion of the female Thor usurper or what ever she turns out to be. Who's the Fire Guy? Hammond? Looks like Hulk Torch :/

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad their doing something new, if they didn't people would complain that the House of Ideas has no ideas. But now the'll have to deal with the "I hate change" crowd LOL.

comedy_brosUSA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

is Marvel trying to re-live the 90s again? this looks like the 90s all over again between all of the things that happened to the teams during that time period. like they are just desperate for ideas. But who knows. maybe it'll be ok. I probably won't read it though.

WheatStalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, no pandering, it's not a publicity stunt, there is no social justice master plan, no one is twirling their mustache for quick cash, there is no conspiracy to commit diversity, not even a single scheme to crush your confirmation bias ... no, it is about following the thread. Telling stories in interesting ways. That's it. If you want to build a disappointment construct, something that uses the opposite of logic and reason, explaining why the Goddess of Thunder is unacceptable to you, knock yourself out. But the rest of us will be turning pages on the unexpected, and supporting what we hope are good stories.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm fine with it as along as it tell interesting stories both with these new characters taking over the mantel and the old character that are dealing with these changes they've got going on. It feels pointless to get all bent out of shape before you really get an idea how this will play out and if it'll be any good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

iaconpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By iaconpoint

I've hated marvelnow! from the onset and this has pushed me over the brink. Thor and Steve are popular characters for a reason. What kind of moron thinks replacing them with lesser characters who can't headline their own books is a good idea? Oh, it's marvelnow! No, I'm out. More money for DC and Image (and the occasional Indy).

Vendel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Vendel

@captainhoopla said:

I'm fine with the changes. Still very irritated about how the Thor announcement was made. I hate how they so matter of factly stated the new character is THE Thor, especially when the real Thor will still be in the series. I hate this was done on a show like The View. It comes off like "here, we're doing this for all of you middle aged bored housewives that don't read our comics, the hell with our current readers that do their best to read and support all of our series, despite the fact most can't afford to." They should have made these announcements in a better fashion at Comic-Con and then gone and done their pandering and marketing on these shows. Then again Comic-Con is no longer about comics, but that's for a different discussion. Anyway, it all came off as very insulting, to me at least.

I agree it's not so much what Marvel is doing. Rather the idiotic way they are going about it.

This new Gal is not Thor. And no amount of View announcements and proclamations from Marvel will change that.

"No really guys, she is the Thor. Don't mind that guy standing over there."

Avatar image for noteworthington
Noteworthington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, no pandering, it's not a publicity stunt, there is no social justice master plan, no one is twirling their mustache for quick cash, there is no conspiracy to commit diversity, not even a single scheme to crush your confirmation bias ... no, it is about following the thread. Telling stories in interesting ways. That's it. If you want to build a disappointment construct, something that uses the opposite of logic and reason, explaining why the Goddess of Thunder is unacceptable to you, knock yourself out. But the rest of us will be turning pages on the unexpected, and supporting what we hope are good stories.

The_Scourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By The_Scourge

@blastaar said:

Maybe Thor dies and gets reborn as a female like Loki has before.

Nope he supposedly becomes unworthy after the events of Original Sin and starts using Jarnbjorn instead of Mjolnir while some woman close to Thor takes up the mantle. My guess after the last Thor issue is Jane Foster.

@vitalius: Inferno

Avatar image for the_average_bear
The Average Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By The Average Bear

Ah, yes, Marvel, we see your political stance and we also see you thrusting it our faces.

Sort of annoying. 60+ years with these characters and a bunch of em change drastically immediately

Also, can Marvel just keep a title going? I'm so tired of "All New" being put on the cover of the same book they've been putting out for years.

Marvel has really lost it's footing with me.

COBRAMORPH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By COBRAMORPH

Why doesnt the poor powerless male Thor just become the new Falcon?

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only read the X-men so none of this matter really, but I think i might check out the new Thor comic because I could not stand old Thor so this one can't be any worse right?

MachoMustachio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

my thoughts on the changes:

Captain America: I don't mind Falcon being Cap for a little bit but the costume needs some work

Iron Man: if its anything like the Inferior Octopus nonsense, then I want none of that

Identity Thief: I like that Marvel is pushing more female characters and I don't mind someone else wielding Mjolnir for a bit but Thor is his NAME not an alias or a title you can't take that away from him

Avengers: Although I love Scarlet Witch and like Doctor Strange, its highly doubtful i will read this iteration

I love the Marvel cinematic universe (for many reasons) but in this case because it with limit these changes to a little before Avengers 2: Age of Ultron comes out then the people who like stuff like this and the Inferior Octopus will have had their due and the rest of us we'll get the real Avengers back, everybody wins

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lang?

No thanks.

kid Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i feel like none of this is gonna matter. Caps been black before, Thors been a chick before, Iron Man has gotten new suits before, and none of it mattered. Whens Avengers 2 rolling out? whatre the chances were still gonna have the Avengers running around with these random changes when the movie drops? all signs point to 'not likely'

VeganDiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like the idea of Lady Thor. Interested to see what it is that makes Thor unworthy and to see how he copes. Also interested to see what it is that makes this new lady worthy of being Thor and how she handles suddenly being one of the most powerful beings on Earth.

Less excited about Falcon Cap, but really only because Captain America in general isn't a series I'm super into, but I still plan on giving it a fair shot.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Basically just emphasizing how these changes are just one big crappy gimmick.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Mezmero

Here's the Superior Iron Man announcement. <opens link to Thor announcement page> Well that's just great....

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I thought Deathlok was gonna have a more human look

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

I miss the days of consistency

mantequilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 193

Well I hope Falcon really struggles being the new Captain America, otherwise it would make Steve and the super soldier serum not that special

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I think Marvel dropped the ball on the Thor announcement. They should have been more clear about Thor becoming "unworthy" and how he's going to go off and do his own thing. The way most people perceive it, Thor is getting a sex change, which understandably is why many are mad.

Supi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It can't be worse than DC's NEW 52...Marvel always dare to change things without have to betrayed her History and throw it to the garbage can....I will buy (as always) the 3 titles...I know of course that Thor and Steve would return soon(for the release of Avengers 2 next summer)