Good Marvel Hero

ruisu1221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Let me start off by saying..I am very new to comics..infact the only reason I want to get into them is because of The Avengers movie..and Ironman 3 xD.....so anyway..I'm looking for a hero to get into...he needs to be strong..not just physically..but pretty mentally as well...have good leadership values...has a great sense of humor but is serious when he needs to be (Please note Captain America is out of the picture for me) He is good up close and also has distance attacks..has a strong fanbase..and isn't really that much of a bad guy...I don't mind if they have done some bad stuff in the past..but if they are always a jerk or dick then no...I think Ironman is really cool but only know of him from the movies.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

ruisu1221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah they need to be a he..but that wont stop me from finding a favorite Marvel female aswell...also they can't be over powered..and have SOME flaws to make them a bit more down to eath/

ruisu1221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is Ironman any good?...the movie was amazing but how are the comics?...and is he any different from the movie version of himself?

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@ruisu1221: Hawkeye. You should read Hawkeye's latest series (it's only up to issue 9 right now).

Hawkeye doesn't have any powers, but he's skilled, clever, and resourceful. Often thought of as the powerless archer, Hawkeye rarely even uses his bow in this series, relying mostly on his other skills, his wits, his guts, and a lot of luck. And he has a fun teenage sidekick, also named Hawkeye.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Seriously, this might be the best book Marvel's putting out right now. I know he seems like nothing special, but that's kinda part of why he's the best.

ruisu1221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hawkeye seems cool..But he doesn't really seem like the type of character I could get into..but that's just me...I like heroes with alot of power...I was thinking about Cyclops..but apparently he's a real big jerk..I'm thinking about getting into Ironman..but I fear he is only popular through the movies not the comics...I heard who is a jerk in the comics aswell..Captain America is the type of hero I want..buuuut I'm not keen on the whole patriotic stuff..and as I said I like my heroes to have cool powers

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well its a bak issues but you can find them pretty cheap Quasar Marc Guggenheim run, Silver Surfer, Doctor Strange, Nova (old series from post annihilation or Mark Wolfman run), and Hercules by either Greg Pak or the Prince of power run by Bob Layton.

Hope this helped

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hawkeye seems cool..But he doesn't really seem like the type of character I could get into..but that's just me...I like heroes with alot of power...I was thinking about Cyclops..but apparently he's a real big jerk..I'm thinking about getting into Ironman..but I fear he is only popular through the movies not the comics...I heard who is a jerk in the comics aswell..Captain America is the type of hero I want..buuuut I'm not keen on the whole patriotic stuff..and as I said I like my heroes to have cool powers

Cyclops is kind of a jerk, yeah. But his new book (Uncanny X-men, vol.3) is pretty good so far.

or, if you wanted a book that gives you a good feel for a few different heroes, Uncanny Avengers is has got a pretty good cast: Captain America, Thor, Havoc, Wolverine, Sunfire, Wonderman, Scarlet Witch, Wasp, and Rogue, and they've all been interesting so far.

ruisu1221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What is Ironman like?

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@ruisu1221: Ironman's pretty cool, but to be honest, I only know him from reading Avengers comics. He's definitely one of the coolest Avengers, but I've never been interested in him enough beyond that to read his solo stories.

But that's actually how I feel about most Avengers, or X-men for that matter; there's so many good team books that I rarely bother reading solo books anymore. Except Hawkeye and Daredevil.

Actually, I don't know why I didn't suggest Daredevil earlier, he's a lot of fun and he has pretty unique powers. His most recent book is up to issue 25 now, and I don't think there's been a bad issue yet.

No Caption Provided

yeah, Daredevil!

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was just about to suggest Daredevil. I have one other series to suggest Indestructible Hulk.

It has that premise from the Avengers movie of Hulk and Banner now working with SHIELD. With Banner exploring the territory of the Marvel U.

ruisu1221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks alot for all the help guys...I have decided I'm going to start getting into Iron Man...I heard his new Marvel NOW book is pretty interesting because it shows him up in space...he also has some really cool new armor...I might also pick up some X-Men books because I'm pretty interested in what Cyclops can do.....Dare Devil seems alot like the Batman of Marvel..so I could see myself getting into him aswell.

JSH92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

I would recommend Iron Man's Marvel NOW title. I'm enjoying it pretty well. Thor: God of Thunder is really good too.

I think you might like Ms. Marvel too. She seems to fit most of your qualifications. You should check out her 2006 series if you're interested.

kid Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the Ironman series that started with Worlds Most Wanted (after the Secret Invasion) going pretty much right up to Marvel NOW was pretty epic too. theres a great book near the end with Stark at A.A.. As a new reader itll give you a decent grasp of the history of the character.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

@ruisu1221: Daredevil, Pre-Dying Wish Spider-man (unless you don't mind Superior who is a sociopathic murderer lol), Black Panther, Wolverine.

Those are the only ones that I can think of off-hand. I have a feeling you'd like Black Panther given what you've told us :)

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

This thread confuses me, because it seems like it could have been called "Is Tony Stark a douche?" or "I'm going to read Iron Man unless all books with him are terrible" and been far more useful to everyone involved.

Just saying: that was the clear message I got from the beginning, and most suggestions were summarily rejected for no other (clear) reason than they weren't Iron Man.

Anyway, I do hope you love Iron Man, and I'll also heartily recommend Uncanny X-Men especially because even if every other book has Scott looking like a jerk, this one doesn't.

ruisu1221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do understand why you would be confused with the thread and I apologies...As I said I am getting into this through the Ironman and Avengers Movie's..so I am going to try and get some answers on what Ironman is like.and of there are any of heroes that I would be able to get into so I can expand my knowledge of the Marvel Universe then just Ironman..as I said I am sorry that the tittle confused you..I most likely should of change the tittle a little but was in a rush to find a hero to get into...I am also very picky with a type of character I can get into..so I am sorry to everyone for rejecting alot of the Heroes you recommended...I am going to be looking into Dare Devil and the X-Men aswell..not just Ironman :)

ruisu1221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is something I am worried about though..Tony's suit..isn't like really breakable right?..and can he handle himself if he ever finds himself without the suit?

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

@ruisu1221: That's fine, but if you haven't actually read the characters, you can't know you wouldn't like them. If you're going to decide ahead of time whether you like them, then you aren't looking for a character to get into. "Get into" implies you aren't already into them -- which means you don't like them yet. So rejecting, say, Hawkeye without even reading a single issue just doesn't make sense. Also demanding that it be a male doesn't make sense.

I guess my point is, you seem to have come here already having picked the characters you wanted to get into, not really looking for suggestions of characters you hadn't thought you'd like but are actually awesome. So the thread read less "recommend characters to me" and more "I want to read these characters, so I'll wait to see if anyone tells me I shouldn't."

Anyhow, you got some really great recommendations here and I think you'd be unwise to just reject them without giving them a try. But that's just my .02.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akbogert said:

@ruisu1221: That's fine, but if you haven't actually read the characters, you can't know you wouldn't like them. If you're going to decide ahead of time whether you like them, then you aren't looking for a character to get into. "Get into" implies you aren't already into them -- which means you don't like them yet. So rejecting, say, Hawkeye without even reading a single issue just doesn't make sense. Also demanding that it be a male doesn't make sense.

I guess my point is, you seem to have come here already having picked the characters you wanted to get into, not really looking for suggestions of characters you hadn't thought you'd like but are actually awesome. So the thread read less "recommend characters to me" and more "I want to read these characters, so I'll wait to see if anyone tells me I shouldn't."

Anyhow, you got some really great recommendations here and I think you'd be unwise to just reject them without giving them a try. But that's just my .02.

these are some good points; but, as someone who feels like they do know a lot about the MU, it's been a pretty fun challenge and it's also reminding me about some of the characters I haven't been paying attention to, so I really don't mind. It's fun.