The Batman

karbacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By karbacca

Decided to make a new batman piece. This one is more modern, grown up bats. I pulled bits of the look from Frank Miller and Jim Lee. This is just the really really rough blue lines. I will upload the full inks after, I just liked how this came out.

No Caption Provided
Larger and sharper version can be found here:  http://karbacca.deviantart.com/art/Batman-quot-Blues-quot-209395559
DavidR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By DavidR

I like this one better than the Superman. Looking forward to the finished piece. Is he trying to show off his member in his tiny trunks?...   (8 O

Just kiddin' it was too obvious not to say somethin'!  ; p

karbacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By karbacca

Thats just where he stores the batterangs! :P

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By tonis
@karbacca said:
lol, so the real question is... 'is that a batarang in your belt or are you just happy to see me' :)
I'm a huge fan of the Miller look when it comes to Bats, looking forward to seeing the progress.
karbacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By karbacca
@tonis said:
@karbacca said:
lol, so the real question is... 'is that a batarang in your belt or are you just happy to see me' :)
Can't it be both? :)
DomDom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By DomDom

Very cool!
InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7  Edited By InnerVenom123

Great stuff!

karbacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By karbacca
The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

#9  Edited By The Poet  Moderator
@karbacca said:
Finished the line art for this batman piece. I went with a more sketchy style to keep the look of the blue version but cleaned up.

No Caption Provided
 Cleaner and larger version can be found here:  http://browse.deviantart.com/?order=5#/d3gqdzn
cool!
GOREX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By GOREX

While the picture looks good here's a few things that just drive me bats :D

1) Unless he's holding onto a rail or on the edge of something with the wind blowing from the side there is no way the cloak would go in that direction.
2) The gloves are extremely long. They're half his arm! They're almost as bit as the ones he wore in Thrillkiller.
3) The bat on the chest is a bit to fat... either that or a car ran it over... repeatedly.
4) The belt lacks the signature buckle. All pockets makes it really uncomfortable and looks weird.

karbacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By karbacca
@GOREX:  In answering pretty much all your quirks, see Frank Millers "The Dark Knight Returns". I even noted that this version was based off Franks version.
GOREX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By GOREX
@karbacca: Hey hey there :)

In "The Dark Knight Returns" there are actually 3 costumes:
1) The one with the yellow circle that has a bat on it with a blueish cape and an extra belt attached to the leg.
2) The one similar to yours although if you look at the belt you can see that the pockets are all different shapes and sizes as well as in between some of them there is something (personally I thought it was a zipper).
3) The armor suit which he used to fight Superman.

I didn't want to sound harsh or anything, just giving my opinion :D I had the same opinion while reading TDKR.

PS: And the cape still looks a wee bit weird oriented like that :P
karbacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By karbacca
@GOREX:  I did the cape like that for two reasons, one, I liked that it looked like he had just changed directions suddenly while jumping and also, because I was lazy :P
ARMIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ARMIV

Very, very nice Bats!

GOREX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By GOREX
@karbacca: :D

Well it's not like comics don't defy the laws of physics. ^_^

But still that belt needs more complexity or something to give it some... "soul".
DavidR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DavidR
@GOREX said:

@karbacca: :D Well it's not like comics don't defy the laws of physics. ^_^ But still that belt needs more complexity or something to give it some... "soul".

Styling is a personal preference and he can and has chosen how he wants to portray his character. Whoever looks at it can like or dislike that version. I only wonder if he is clicking his heels because he is happily showing off his Batarang protrusion.   : P
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By tonis
@DavidR said:
@GOREX said:

@karbacca: :D Well it's not like comics don't defy the laws of physics. ^_^ But still that belt needs more complexity or something to give it some... "soul".

Styling is a personal preference and he can and has chosen how he wants to portray his character. Whoever looks at it can like or dislike that version. I only wonder if he is clicking his heels because he is happily showing off his Batarang protrusion.   : P
hehe, I thought they started the vine topic on where his batarangs went because of this thread :)
I agree though a little on every side here, styling is all personal preference and is totally open to interpretations on design. Overall I do get the 'Miller' feeling when I look at it so I'd say main mission accomplished there.
As for the cape, I tend to agree with Gorex about the direction although not for the same reasons of physics, rather I've found with things like portraits and shots like these the flow of direction almost always feels better going from left to right. It's probably got a lot to do with the fact most people read in that direction and it's not uncommon for the eye to just start that way when analyzing a picture.

What happens when you flow out and cut off to the left like that is a more 'static' feeling to the main subject. Picture the same thing reversed with it fading off to the right, and the same picture becomes more dynamic and your eye actually starts with Batman then, and not his cape.

This isn't really a rule of course, it's just one of the mental things that happen subliminally to the viewers eye when they look at something like that.
Edgeworth_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Edgeworth_11

SStill looks pretty cool.