Artist Show-Off Showdown # 63: Silver Surfer *VOTING THREAD*

IcePrince_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By IcePrince_X

Here are the entries of the shiny guy from outerspace...  

Decept-O

Caligula 

BURNTHEPRIEST 

tonis 

Gambit1024 

Om1kron 

--------------------------- 

You know the drill guys and gals! 
so let us see those vote!
Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator

Decept-O

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#3  Edited By The_Martian

This is a tough one. I think I'm going to go with tonis

satanmode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By satanmode

Om1cron

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Gambit1024

Om1cron

Dark Walker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Dark Walker

There's some really wicked ones here.  My votes goes to BURNTHEPRIEST

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Decoy Elite
 Gambit1024  
thegreatfour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By thegreatfour

burnthepriest

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By sora_thekey

Decept-O

Omegaman10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Omegaman10

BURNTHEPRIEST
DavidR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DavidR

Om1kron

LT1085

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By LT1085

Om1kron 

Punchandpie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Punchandpie

Decept-O
frischdvh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By frischdvh

BurnthePriest
Avatar image for donovan_montgomery
Donovan Montgomery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

Gambit1024

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator

Burnthepriest

Constantine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Constantine
@Shatterstar said:
" Burnthepriest "
Om1kron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By Om1kron

my vote is for 

BURNTHEPRIEST

I like priests plus I just sketched mine up in 30 minutes, it's nothing special. Mainly I'll do what I normally do in these threads. 

@ Decept-O : I like yours a lot as well, the only thing that really kills it for me as Silver Surfer seems more like VOID from Wildcats than Silver Surfer in the pose you put him in, you have all of that real estate of a surf board to move the other leg out. When I see SS I want to see him "SURFING". I don't want anyone to take the criticism the wrong way, I just want to help you guys out. 

@ Caligula : I like what you did with your picture because it seems like a cover of a silver surfer black and white comic, the main problem is more focus could've gone into SS instead of the supporting characters and silver surfer has no feet which is totally top cow. LOL

@ Tonis : I respect your craft, while 3d modeling just seems like you can grab a mannequin and play with him at will, you still had to create some atmosphere with your picture. You did a killer job on space in the background, from my experience with digital art programs it's not easy to just up and throw these things together so I know you put some time into your piece. But I still would prefer to see more traditional drawing in these contests rather than digital art. 

@ Gambit1024 : You're picture made me laugh, but in a good way. Definitely brings back some memories of when I was just trying to draw a background to tie my picture together, I totally know where you're coming from. I always used those BIG BIG sharpie markers to fill in a backspace because those lines are the first thing someone would bring up if I showed them. But all of that aside I really like the pose, and the headshot, kinda reminds me of the stuff Selkirk does. All in All for me it was between you and Burnthepriest. But I have to give him my vote because of the feet. 

as for mine, I sketched out the pose on a piece of printing paper @ work, but I couldn't get a feel for how the board should be drawn based upon my pose. I know his board is like a traditional long board, but for some reason I just was having tons of trouble with it. Probably the one thing I dislike the most about my entry. Originally the board is supposed to be horizontal, but I took this picture with my cell phone and was too lazy to rotate it properly and it actually looks better this way. 

Good luck to all of the contestants and great job. 

Wayne
Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Decept-O
@Om1kron:
Shouldn't you wait to offer criticisms until the voting is over?  It's a bit like trying to influence how others are going to vote. I am not mad at all concerning your criticism but think you may want to wait to offer your input until voting is over.    I will reply to your criticisms later but had to say this to you.  Still, thanks for your input.
LT1085

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LT1085
@Decept-O: Shouldn't you allow people to make their own decisions or at least PM them to nag about them sharing their thoughts?
Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Decept-O
@Om1kron:   If I was out of line , my bad and I offer my apologies.
@LT1085:
This is what I'd feared.  How have I not allowed anyone to make their own decisions?  I've done nothing but offer compliments and praise to the users who've posted their art.  Any criticisms are offered before voting or after not  during.  The Voting should be about Voting.   When I've added comments to my votes in past contests, they were explaining WHY I voted the way I did, that was all.   Wasn't trying to influence anyone.  

The gentleman Om1kron offered his comments here so I replied.   I actually agree with a portion of what  he says regarding his critiques of my art, with exception to the Void bit but everything else, OK, I can see where he is going.  I am not "nagging" him.  I asked if it would be better to offer critiques either before or after the Voting.   He also raised some other points I agree with but that can be discussed later.   OK if this happens again, I will PM but I wasn't nagging. 

I am just wanting to participate, have others see my efforts.  Criticism is welcome provided it isn't veiled as insults.  I don't think Om1kron went that route.     

Om1kron did offer criticism, I am not upset.   He has his opinion which is great, he did it in a respectable manner.  Some of it I can partially agree with some I do not.   That's enough on the subject and I am going to apologize to EVERYONE if what said wasn't appropriate. 

Om1kron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Om1kron

hehe if the comic vine community is silly enough to base their votes off of someone elses influences then mine is the best vote for meeeeeee!!! j/k But seriously don't fret, everyone on comic vine has their own tastes and own opinions. Just like I think Travis Charest is the best artist ever, some argue that adam huges is better, or francis, lenil yu is better, etc. There were some contests I entered where I was 100 percent sure I had it in the bag, and someones picture was picked as the winner and I was completely butthurt about it. The community responded and said we all have our own tastes, just keep trying and these contests are for fun anyway. 

The way I see it, everyone who was brave enough to enter is a winner in my book. Nobody really loses. 

Well except the guy who wins and has to deal with picking a new subject to draw then dealing with all the voting lol, it's really a hassle.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By Gambit1024
@Om1kron: When you said we're all winners it made me smile, lol
Om1kron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Om1kron

oh man glad I didn't call us all wieners lol

EGoD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By EGoD  Moderator

My vote goes to burnthepriest
DavidR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DavidR
@Om1kron: Or Whiiiiiiiiners .... : P
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By tonis
@Gambit1024 said:
" @Om1kron: When you said we're all winners it made me smile, lol "

much agreed Gambit :) 
My votes on Gambit1024
BURNTHEPRIEST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BURNTHEPRIEST

My vote: 
Om1kron

IcePrince_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By IcePrince_X

Burnthepriest bags this contest! 

Cool entries! and Congratulations to Burnthepriest, we shall wait for the next contest that you will set up! 

LT1085

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By LT1085
@Decept-O: I don't think I mentioned most of that...I DO however think that you read into things too much.
Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Decept-O
@Om1kron:   Travis Charest is indeed awesome.  Haven't seen his work for awhile, though.  I am going to discuss what you said regarding the computer, photoshopped, digitial and photo manipulation entries.  They are great I like them, they are still art.   Yet, I am also a bit intimidated by having to compete with these entries.  Trying to draw with pencil, pen and ink, etc., is quite different than those other methods.   I don't know, though, sometimes the hand drawn entries win over the computerized entries, so maybe it's not that big of a deal?  BUT, maybe there should be a separate category for these methods?  Like the same Contest say for example, the Silver Surfer but have one category for hand drawn and another for electronic manipulations?  I don't know, maybe it's a bad idea.     

@DavidR:   I am not whining.  I just explained to LT1085 where I failed.   This isn't about me not winning or anything of the sort.  You may not believe me but I am being honest.  This is why I go by my user name of DECEPT-O.  I don't like when anyone is being deceptive, so I do my best not to go that route.   I offer--AGAIN--to you, my apologies.  I am sorry if I failed to grasp what you were saying.  I didn't mean to taint this great contest with my opinions.   

@LT1085:

Listen I will admit that right now yes, I am still a bit frazzled because of DAvidR's comments.  Unfortunately I let it bother me.   Regarding Om1kron I am saying I thought it was best to offer critiques, which are PART of these contests, either before or after the Voting.  That was my assumption how this worked but I guess I may be in error.   If I read into things too much it is because I've dealt with a number of people who have been and are being disingenuous and it is often hard not to let that affect my thinking.  I need to work on it.

Again, I am sorry to the Nth Level if I was "out of line" .  My apologies.  No one is even reading that part.  I am man enough to admit when I am wrong.   

On a positive note, congrats to BURNTHEPRIEST.  That entry was so full of action and emotion, it kicked my ass!!!!   

Avatar image for theteenagewerewolf
TheTeenageWerewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Om1Kron

IcePrince_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By IcePrince_X
@Om1kron said:
" hehe if the comic vine community is silly enough to base their votes off of someone elses influences then mine is the best vote for meeeeeee!!! j/k But seriously don't fret, everyone on comic vine has their own tastes and own opinions. Just like I think Travis Charest is the best artist ever, some argue that adam huges is better, or francis, lenil yu is better, etc. There were some contests I entered where I was 100 percent sure I had it in the bag, and someones picture was picked as the winner and I was completely butthurt about it. The community responded and said we all have our own tastes, just keep trying and these contests are for fun anyway.    The way I see it, everyone who was brave enough to enter is a winner in my book. Nobody really loses.   Well except the guy who wins and has to deal with picking a new subject to draw then dealing with all the voting lol, it's really a hassle. "
I love Travis Charest!!! 
His Wildcats/X-Men is epic! 

On the side note, I love making voting threads specially the Character Creation ones where we should put the background story of each character. And yes, anyone who joins our artist showdown is a winner!
Om1kron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Om1kron
@TheTeenageWerewolf said:
" Om1Kron "
Day late and a dollar short my friend, but thanks for the vote. Congrats Burnthepriest.  

Keep up the good work everyone
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#35  Edited By tonis

congrats Priest, really nice portrayal, and likewise to all entries. There wasn't a single image I didn't enjoy and I felt a lot of inspiration from each. 
@Decept-O
said:

" @Om1kron:   Travis Charest is indeed awesome.  Haven't seen his work for awhile, though.  I am going to discuss what you said regarding the computer, photoshopped, digitial and photo manipulation entries.  They are great I like them, they are still art.   Yet, I am also a bit intimidated by having to compete with these entries.  Trying to draw with pencil, pen and ink, etc., is quite different than those other methods.   I don't know, though, sometimes the hand drawn entries win over the computerized entries, so maybe it's not that big of a deal?  BUT, maybe there should be a separate category for these methods?  Like the same Contest say for example, the Silver Surfer but have one category for hand drawn and another for electronic manipulations?  I don't know, maybe it's a bad idea.  
Thanks for recognizing art isn't only about approach or appearance. 
It's kind of funny, because I feel a bit intimidated at times when I can't do with a pencil what some of you seem to accomplish so easily. Through pixels I try, it's still mainly about shapes, shades, and composition with as much imagination as I can muster. I start with a blank screen pretty much like most of you start with a blank sheet. It's not just 3D modeling, or photoshop magic, but rather a collection of techniques to get the idea from my head to something I can show. 

I understand why Om1kron said he'd prefer to see more 'traditional' drawings in these contests, and of 6 entries, 5 are hand drawings. Certainly the majority, not just in this contest but in general in the artist community here. 
I like the artist challenges, and would participate in any that I could find inspiration to do. Assuming there isn't a rule against using digital mediums. 

We're not exactly competing for anything other than affirmation that our work is enjoyed by someone and worth doing. The main objective of these show offs is to collect great original images from this community and share them with those who can appreciate them. Like Om1kron said earlier, we all win when people submit.
Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Decept-O
@tonis: 

EXACTLY!  You succinctly said it all.  I am intimidated by all the advances with computers, digital manips, photoshop, etc.  You're right no one "wins" anything, other than the opportunity to show off one's work and receive constructive criticisms and/or positive input.

In the Darth Vader costume contest, I think the majority of the entries there are indeed digital or photoshopped, so it is obviously a mixed bag.  My efforts were laughable it mine just sucked eggs, but I DID feel a bit overwhelmed trying to show my efforts along everyone else's, I admit.    However all should submit their efforts regardless of the methods.

Art is expressed through different mediums.  I cannot fault anyone for using electronic methods.  I can barely type as it is so using the computer for art is something beyond my experience.   I do like and have liked a lot of computer art.   Sometimes, though, there may be people who take the easy road by tracing, or copying an already existing image and that bothers me a bit.  (  Not saying you did it, not at all!)  I can tell sometimes and sometimes I can't when someone does that and that doesn't seem right for these Contests.   That is part of my contention really.  

Thanks for your intelligent and polite comment, it is greatly appreciated     

ComicVine posted a vid featuring more of my Staff Zombie art: http://www.comicvine.com/comic-vine-mailbag-92910/112-1213/    
mattek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mattek
tonis GMV

But everyone did a great job.
BURNTHEPRIEST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BURNTHEPRIEST
@IcePrince_X said:
"Burnthepriest bags this contest!  Cool entries! and Congratulations to Burnthepriest, we shall wait for the next contest that you will set up!  "

Wow, didn't expect that as there were some awesome entries. Just like to say thanks to everyone that participated in this contest and to those that voted. Thanks again!
Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Decept-O
@BURNTHEPRIEST:
Your art was full of action and emotion.  Didn't expect that from a Silver Surfer drawing but man, you BROUGHT it.  Congrats, it is a beautiful piece of art.
DavidR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By DavidR
@Decept-O: 

@LT1085:

Listen I will admit that right now yes, I am still a bit frazzled because of DAvidR's comments.  Unfortunately I let it bother me.   Regarding Om1kron I am saying I thought it was best to offer critiques, which are PART of these contests, either before or after the Voting.  That was my assumption how this worked but I guess I may be in error.   If I read into things too much it is because I've dealt with a number of people who have been and are being disingenuous and it is often hard not to let that affect my thinking.  I need to work on it.

Wow, a humorous comment that wasn't meant to be malicious and you lost sleep over it? An honest opinion and it bothered u? I told u the drawing was fine and I meant it. But because it looked different to me than what you intended you are still bringing it up. Wow!