xerox-kitty's Old Fan Art: New Mutants Boom-Boom

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

Edited By xerox_kitty

After sitting in a concertina file for nearly 15 years, the last of my old Fan Art is being exposed to the internet.  It was possibly the last thing I drew.  This is my favourite of all my drawings, even if it is very mangafied & she's developed a strange lump where her bottom should be.  I'm just happy with the combination of pose & wardrobe.

No Caption Provided

Curvy Attitude
Curvy Attitude
Yep!  Yet again, it's another Boom-Boom drawing!  She's been my favourite character for a long time, and here's the proof ;) 

The original pose is taken from another issue of X-Force.  This time, X-Force #62 which was drawn by Kevin Lau.  At that time, I'd never really seen a manga style in an American comic, and I liked the soft rounded style; in the eyes and general curves all-round!   

Boom-Boom Shake The Room!
Boom-Boom Shake The Room!
The pose itself isn't taken from any defining moment.  She's just mouthing off to the villains of the issue, but I liked the pose.  

The outfit is one of my favourite classic New Mutants outfits.  After the Acts of Vengeance issues of the New Mutants, Boom-Boom went through a phase of changing her 'uniform' every few issues.  And why not?!  It's more realistic for a girl of her age!   

What I didn't realise at the time was that this outfit was designed by Rob Liefeld & debuted in New Mutants #90.   It was sadly short-lived in favour of something slightly more practical (but not as cute).  However, because this was the outfit she wore during the zany New Mutants Summer Special drawn by Bret Blevins it stuck in my mind.  It's really cute & so that's the outfit I wanted to put her in, instead! 
SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SC  Moderator

Awwh, utterly adorable!! I like how you combined the two images, awwh, I remember that Boom Boom moment on the left as well, she was sad in the following scene.  Poor Tab. 

I have to commend you on your ability to draw accessories! The bow, glasses, bracelets, so so awesome and well defined! Oh and the definition and details on the shoes! 

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

LMFAO..Xerox, you're better at drawing feet than Leifeld and he's actually employed as a comic artist.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By xerox_kitty
@SC: She was just jealous that Rictor wasn't paying her enough attention (since he had a crush on Wolfsbane ;)  But all the accessories are pretty much all these in Rob Liefeld's drawing.  People might not like his work, but he did create a snazzy outfit for Boom-Boom.  Shame she was lumbered with the pink body-condom & waistcoat for the next couple of years though. 

@Vance Astro: N'ah, I just copied the Kevin Lau drawing, so he can draw better feet... and not standing on tippy-toes also helps ;)
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Caligula

again good work XK. always good to see more art from you.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By SC  Moderator
@xerox-kitty:  Ah yeah thats right, I remember just being sad for her, and I remember she was trying to dress up so to speak. Oh, well, what I mean is, just actually the act of drawing accessories, even coping them can be tricky, well at least thats what I adhere to, since they are extra small and require some subtle curving and straight lines, and well, yeah the details. I suck at small details, that are so neat. Jagged rocks and cliffs on the other hand... oh yeah, I was looking though her outfits, she was a bit unlucky... 
The_Myth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By The_Myth

You really put a lot of detail in this one, love it! :)

Doctor!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Doctor!!!!!

She looks like she can still kick your butt and still go shopping  as a Valley girl.
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By tonis
@Doctor!!!!! said:
" She looks like she can still kick your butt and still go shopping  as a Valley girl. "
They can ALWAYS still go shopping after the butt kicking. Man, I do miss the valley girls, they were so tubular :) 

More Boom Boom is awesome Kitty, now I'm gonna HAVE to do a piece on her, you got me all teased up with nostalgia.
xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By xerox_kitty
@Doctor!!!!! said:
" She looks like she can still kick your butt and still go shopping  as a Valley girl. "
That's what I love about her  ;)
Hawkeye446

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

#10  Edited By Hawkeye446

Thats definitely my favourite of your pictures so far! Well done!