Would you like to see a new contest?

frischdvh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By frischdvh

There have been a couple ideas for new contests floating around. I created this thread to ask if there is room or interest for a new contest. Some of the ideas that have been mentioned:

Golden Age to Modern Age: 
Taking an idea from the Golden Age (Public Domain, less known characters) and reinventing them for today's comic audience. 

Recreate a Cover: 
A classic cover is chosen to be recreated or reimagined by our artists. (i.e. Crisis on Infinite Earths)

Retell the Story: 
Take a classic story and create a pic that retells that story using different characters. (i.e. Death in the Family starring Hawkeye and Mockingbird instead of Batman and Robin). 

Teased: 
Create a teaser for a fictional story or a real one. (i.e. The Uncanny X-Force) 

I am just looking to see if there is interest. If there is not enough to support, its all good. Someone can always use this as inspiration for the Show-Off Showdown. 
What do you guys think?

Albert Ventum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Albert Ventum

I think the Golden Age one was done before actually, that said it was really cool. 

Personally I like the Teaser one the most as it's the most different from the kind of contest we currently have. 

LT1085

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By LT1085
sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By sora_thekey
@FrischDVH:We could always try and revive the Variants Contest which includes two of your ideas...
  • Recreate a Cover: 
    A classic cover is chosen to be recreated or reimagined by our artists. (i.e. Crisis on Infinite Earths)
  • Teased: 
    Create a teaser for a fictional story or a real one. (i.e. The Uncanny X-Force)
    Virago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Virago

I like the Recreate a Cover idea. 

It could be interesting to do something like an illustrate text, doing some panels or something, but that might be a bit extreme.

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Caligula
    Taking an idea from the Golden Age (Public Domain, less known characters) and reinventing them for today's comic audience. 

Recreate a Cover: 

i like these two
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sora_thekey
    @FrischDVH:@Caligula:@Virago: 
    I made this contest back in 2008 (wow that long ago?) and it didn't pick up... Which is exactly this:

Recreate a Cover: 

Here's the contests check it out:

It didn't pick up so after a year I tried to get it to start up again with the 4th one... but no one entered we could start from there and continue it... (I really liked this idea of a contest which is why I am pushing it a bit...) 
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @LT1085 said:
    " "
    WHERE DO YOU GET THESE PICS?! XD
    jamesewelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9  Edited By jamesewelch

I wouldn't mind adding some complications to add to existing contests.

Here's a few for example:

• Show your work complication - requires uploading/mosaicing, the rough pencils, inking, and coloring processes as steps, along with the final work
    • Teamwork complication - requires having someone else ink and/or color work

Complications could be given + votes like
    3:1, for every 3 votes you get +1
    4:1 for every 4 votes you get +1

or just like a bonus votes, where you start off at +2 or +1 vote

An idea for another contest is something like "DAC" (Design a Character Group) on Deviant Art. The lead would give a random shape and we would have to design a character using that shape as basis. Or given an idea like a fruit - you take a shape of a fruit (like apple or pear) and then design a character around that shape (showing the shape/fruit and result, etc.). The DAC has a bunch of good challenges listed on their blog, they do a different one each week.
    Albert Ventum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Albert Ventum
    @sora_thekey: Bring that contest back! :D
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sora_thekey
    @Albert Ventum: We all need to agree on it... someone else thinks its a good idea to bring the contest back?
    Albert Ventum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Albert Ventum
    @sora_thekey said:
    " @Albert Ventum: We all need to agree on it... someone else thinks its a good idea to bring the contest back? "
    Well I'm already working on a submission so keep me posted. :D
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Caligula
    @sora_thekey: sounds good to me
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By sora_thekey
    jamesewelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15  Edited By jamesewelch

What about a paneling/page contest? I was reading that artists focus too much on the character sketches, splash, and cover pages and not enough work on panel layout, sequential art. Someone could come up with a short scene and let the artists figure out how to layout the events on a single page. We'd have lots of different panel layouts and artwork and we might even learn something from looking at the different ways of laying out a sequence.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sora_thekey
    @jamesewelch said:
    " What about a paneling/page contest? I was reading that artists focus too much on the character sketches, splash, and cover pages and not enough work on panel layout, sequential art. Someone could come up with a short scene and let the artists figure out how to layout the events on a single page. We'd have lots of different panel layouts and artwork and we might even learn something from looking at the different ways of laying out a sequence. "
    I like this idea... it could help everyone to improve on not just character art but also On the "interior pages" as well!
    Avatar image for cuttingedgekomix
    CuttingEdgeKomix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CuttingEdgeKomix

Hows about a one to two page rough layout done by a writer or artist and then the contestants use whoever they what to draw in the story but in the confines of the story and put it at like 2 weeks to give enough time to finish it. Winner laysout the next few pages and when it's done to IDK like 16 pages we could form mat it to a comicvine book. It could be like that game where the next in line tells the story and so on and each person has to deal with what was left for them by the last teller.
    Avatar image for cuttingedgekomix
    CuttingEdgeKomix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CuttingEdgeKomix
    @FrischDVH: 
    That or this one. I think it is/ could be a really fun one that maybe could give one of the other contest a break. 

Or maybe a winner take all one that only the winners from that weeks contests, The costume/ battle/show-off.... cound enter for the grand prize a new car... or just something cool like braging rights.
    Selkirk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By Selkirk

i like the golden age to modern age with the public domain chars...i was actually going to start at the top of that list and do one a day ^^;-seemed overwhelming :D. but a good way to do it would be random character to start and then winner could pick or just choose another random char...list is here if not already posted-
    http://pdsh.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Characters

Avatar image for uncanny_xfactor
    Uncanny_XFactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the cover and teaser ones, and how about coloring an inked sketch of the user's choosing? (Idea taken from @dbennett6684)