Would anyone like to see the sequential art (Crank Those Panels) comp. revived?

Fiesty_Badger6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Would anyone like to see the sequential art (Crank Those Panels) comp. revived? (8 votes)

NO 13%
YES 88%
WOULD YOU CONTRIBUTE ART? 50%
WOULD YOU VOTE? 63%
IS ONE STANDARD SIZED COMIC PAGE PER ARTIST ACCEPTABLE? 50%
WOULD YOU BE WILLING TO CRITIQUE ARTIST'S ENTRIES? 50%

YOU CAN MAKE MULTIPLE SELECTIONS IN THIS POLL.

If anyone has any opinions or questions that aren't addressed by the poll just put 'em in a comment. I understand that people are busy but I think this could be fun and a good way for some of us novices to improve our comic art skills.

• 
zebracloak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm extremely new here so I'm not sure what you are talking about. Can you explain please?

Fiesty_Badger6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zebracloak Yeah I'm pretty new here too. I was looking through the defunct comps and I noticed one called crank those panels. I'm taking it to mean that once a month someone would suggest some characters and write a basic scenario (using a see-saw as a means of propulsion basketball Jones is catapulted by his side kick Fat Albert across town to foil a jewelry store robbery, for example.) , that entrants then apply their skills toward depicting as a page of comic art..

I think the comps ran for a month which should be doable considering comic artists draw their whole comic in less time than that.

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3 shatterstar  Moderator

If you want to give it another shot by all means start it up and I'll have it pinned. The issue with this contest was always the lack of participation where one contest to the next there'd be one or two entries (or none). Part of it is that not everyone is at a skill level where they may feel comfortable doing panel to panel work, a bigger part I think is people not having the free time (or interest) to do it. There have been a lot of new faces lately and its a new year so if you're up for starting the next iteration, feel free.

Fiesty_Badger6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks @shatterstar. Actually this thread was Decept-0's idea. To gauge the interest in it before starting it again. But I'm keen to try taking on more art projects to hopefully stretch my pencilling range.

So I'll post up a new thread about it right now. If I've done it wrong let me know.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

@fiesty_badger6: Crank Those Panels was initiated by Ramsillustrations but thanks for mentioning me, all I did was float the suggestion your way about the Poll.

Fiesty_Badger6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@decept_o:

Yeah it was a good idea too. You should take yourself to an exclusive restaurant and reward yourself for thinking of it, tomorrow and the next day too.

Avatar image for ramsillustrations
RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fiesty_badger6:

Hey man, I think its great you are trying to revive this. I started this a while back hoping enough would join in if they wanted the challenge of going a step further than the current splash page contests.

For the most part I think it lasted at least over a year. Hope you can make it work.

I initiated the story lines through an original printed art piece from an already printed comicbook page and the characters and followup story page where chosen by the winner from the previous round.

Keeping it simple and adding choices as to how an individual artist wants to portray the page was key to making it more enticing since it requires more work and time. i think you are off to a great start with the Micronauts. Hope it gets enough participators.

Fiesty_Badger6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Fiesty_Badger6

Thanx @ramsillustrations. I gotta admit my reasons for wanting to restart your comp were completely selfish.

Having the artists redraw an existing page was something I never would have thought of. I did think that Gwen Stacey/ Spider-man one looked a little familiar though now you mention it. It's not against the rules (cause there aint none really.) though. N yeah. big nostalgia trip with The Micronauts.

Also who voted "NO?"

How could you? A light's gone down on Broadway cause you had to go and do it.

KEROGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ramsillustrations: I never knew you started the Crank Those Panels Contest?! O_o .Awesome,man...so this is coming back?

Avatar image for ramsillustrations
RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@keroga said:

@ramsillustrations: I never knew you started the Crank Those Panels Contest?! O_o .Awesome,man...so this is coming back?

Yes it was me. Wanted to add something a little more challenging to what the regular contests offer for the few artists with a little extra time and patience. Hopefully you will join.

Whatcha waitin' for??! O_o

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I was sad to see it go. This is one of those categories that will not be for everyone. Skill set, time, subject matter and the such..as I consider myself more of a pin up kind of guy. I would've liked to expand to try to pencil some pages and get FEEDBACK ON THE WORK as well voting. I think every contest has gone through lulls now and then, so I am all for with going with the hot hand and trying to bring back classic topics as well