Posted by rocketpig (225 posts) - - Show Bio

I've become really frustrated with my drawing lately. I haven't been improving at the rate I expect of myself and my anatomy, particularly female anatomy, has been pretty abysmal. So I decided to take a few weeks off the comic, take a refresher course by pouring through some anatomy books, and draw a bunch of pin-up pieces.

I did an Emma Frost piece that, while okay, still had some issues. Yesterday, I decided to take a stab at Phoenix in her white duds. I found a pose I liked (one that seemed challenging with foreshortening and weight distribution) and had at go at it. This is the result. I'm really happy with it and I think I nailed the anatomy pretty well. I feel like I found a good balance between "hot comic book girl" and "well-proportioned, somewhat realistic heroine". As some of you know, I have huge issues with the sexualization of women in comics and prefer to draw my female protagonists with smaller breasts, reasonable proportions, and more clothes.

#1 Edited by Ms. Omega (4539 posts) - - Show Bio

I like it it looks like she is powering up good job :) Also I like how her hair blends into the fire.

#2 Posted by knighthood (1745 posts) - - Show Bio

I appreciate the style you are working on. The only thing that looks off is the crotch seems a bit too wide and the right buttocks seems to hang a little low. Maybe a little more facial detail would help. That's only my perspective of course. Really good work.

#3 Posted by rocketpig (225 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ms. Omega said:

I like it it looks like she is powering up good job :) Also I like how her hair blends into the fire.

Thanks! Yeah, I wanted to do something a little different with Jean in this image. I thought blending Psylocke's telekinetic head thingie with the Phoenix actually emerging from Jean would be kinda cool. Usually, the Phoenix embodies itself behind Jean... I figured this would be a slightly different take on the power.

#4 Edited by rocketpig (225 posts) - - Show Bio

@knighthood said:

I appreciate the style you are working on. The only thing that looks off is the crotch seems a bit too wide and the right buttocks seems to hang a little low. Maybe a little more facial detail would help. That's only my perspective of course. Really good work.

The buttock was difficult. I looked at several image references and you'd be surprised... When an athletic woman is standing with her legs spread like that, her crotch is very wide and flat. We think of the pubic region as always being a triangle but that isn't really the case. Not when the woman is muscular, at least. Stuff like that is why I'm practicing these drawings in the first place. I'm trying to break myself of all my "perceived anatomy" bad habits and replace them with something structured more around reality.

Here's a thinner woman in the same pose. You'll notice that her crotch is quite flat. I drew Jean more muscular than that so the hamstring muscle is even more pronounced (I can't post the nekkid pics I was using to make sure I got some of this stuff right).

http://www.yogaposturespictures.com/wp-content/uploads/Warrior-II-Yoga-Poses.jpg

#5 Posted by knighthood (1745 posts) - - Show Bio

Y'know, you're probably right. My perceived anatomy tends to have people wearing their undies on the outside. That of course would narrow down the crotch area quite a bit. Especially with the ladies.