#1 Posted by WillPayton (9046 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a sketch I did a long time ago (like, more than 10 years ago). I call it simply, "Warrior".

This will actually be my first project with my new graphics tablet. First I'm going to ink it, and then try my hand at coloring. I've only ever done a small amount of inking on traditional media, and never any coloring. And, I'll be doing this on a tablet which is a pretty new thing for me, so... it's definitely going to be a learning experience. I will be posting the inked and colored versions as soon as I have them in this thread.

Let me know what you guys think.

#2 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1801 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome! Great work

#3 Posted by WillPayton (9046 posts) - - Show Bio

@Imagine_Man15 said:

Awesome! Great work

Thank you!

I now have the inked version...

#4 Posted by Strafe Prower (11887 posts) - - Show Bio

Nicely done sir! I'd love to see it colored!!

#5 Posted by WillPayton (9046 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strafe Prower said:

Thnx! Already working on it, hopefully the color scheme works. Should be able to show it soon.

#6 Posted by Strafe Prower (11887 posts) - - Show Bio

@WillPayton said:

@Strafe Prower said:

Thnx! Already working on it, hopefully the color scheme works. Should be able to show it soon.

Awesome! I can't wait!

Are you coloring it classically, or digitally?

#7 Posted by WillPayton (9046 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strafe Prower said:

@WillPayton said:

@Strafe Prower said:

Awesome! I can't wait!

Are you coloring it classically, or digitally?

For this project all the inking and coloring will be digital using Photoshop and my Cintiq tablet. After that I'll start doing some pencils with the tablet as well, but for now I want to take some baby steps and use old penciled drawings. Doing this stuff digitally for me is perfect, because I've always been too nervous to try inking on paper... too much can go wrong, too hard to fix mistakes, etc. Being afraid all the time isnt a good way to be creative, but digitally I can try anything and everything that pops into my head and undo it in a second if it doesnt work out.

#8 Posted by Strafe Prower (11887 posts) - - Show Bio

@WillPayton: Your a smart man. lol

#9 Posted by WillPayton (9046 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strafe Prower said:

@WillPayton: Your a smart man. lol

Heheh... not so much smart, more like cautious and somewhat experienced. So far this project is going extremely well and even started a couple of penciling ones... Superman and Hal Jordan (my fav character).

I should have the final colored Warrior image tomorrow, and maybe if they're not too horrible, I might post some works in progress later. Guess it just depends on how people react to these. Oh, yeah, also depends on how my eye is feeling and whether I'm up for drawing at all tomorrow. I just had surgery on my left eye lid, so working with a huge patch over the eye now. =(

So, sorry if the new stuff is late... I might be out of commission for a little.

#10 Edited by WillPayton (9046 posts) - - Show Bio

This is the final colored image. I think it came out fairly... decent. I hope you guys enjoy it, and of course, any feedback or opinions are welcome.

#11 Posted by Strafe Prower (11887 posts) - - Show Bio

@WillPayton: This is amazing!

The only critic I might have is that it is a tad dark for my taste, but that's just me.

#12 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

Fantastic work! Looks a little like Rune King Thor.

#13 Posted by WillPayton (9046 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strafe Prower said:

@WillPayton: This is amazing!

The only critic I might have is that it is a tad dark for my taste, but that's just me.

@Deranged Midget said:

Fantastic work! Looks a little like Rune King Thor.

Thank you! I understand what you mean about it being dark. I wanted to go dark because the original pencils had some harsh shadows, so I thought the scene made sense if it was dark and had a single light (maybe the Moon, off-screen). I am actually slightly reworking it now since I'm not really happy with the way the colors came out. Here's the new inked version...

#14 Posted by Strafe Prower (11887 posts) - - Show Bio

@WillPayton: Nice, as long as it was your intention, I think that it's wonderful.

Also, I'm excited to see how the background comes out in the second version!

#15 Edited by WillPayton (9046 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strafe Prower said:

@WillPayton: Nice, as long as it was your intention, I think that it's wonderful.

Also, I'm excited to see how the background comes out in the second version!

Here's the final colored version. I think it came out ok, especially since coloring isnt really my thing. This is literally the first drawing I've ever colored. I'm going to keep trying new inking and coloring techniques as I get more experience with digital artwork and the tablet.

BTW, click on the image to see it without the weird compression artifacts...

#16 Posted by Strafe Prower (11887 posts) - - Show Bio

@WillPayton: Great Job!

It's has a 90's feel that I really like!

Remember, you can only get better.