WillPayton - Hal Jordan Green Lantern

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By willpayton

New inked drawing of Hal Jordan. (scroll down thread for colored version)

No Caption Provided
The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

#2  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@WillPayton: cool

Avatar image for ramsillustrations
RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RamsIllustrations

@WillPayton:

Super nice drawing! You art is coming along rapidly with your tablet, looking forward to seeing the colored version.

Broaden the shoulders a bit and extend his right knee, minor but will enhance the overall when you add the colors, btw, my colored version of the Hound entry is up if you wanna give me tips...Hound Comics Comic submission finished. BRIMSTONE & THE PROTECTOR

Strafe Prower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By Strafe Prower

@WillPayton: I'm very impressed sir. Good job!

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By TDK_1997

Looks good!

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By willpayton

@The Poet said:

cool

@Strafe Prower said:

I'm very impressed sir. Good job!

@TDK_1997 said:

Looks good!

@RamsIllustrations said:

Super nice drawing!

Thank you all very much. =)

@RamsIllustrations said:

You art is coming along rapidly with your tablet, looking forward to seeing the colored version.

Broaden the shoulders a bit and extend his right knee, minor but will enhance the overall when you add the colors, btw, my colored version of the Hound entry is up if you wanna give me tips...Hound Comics Comic submission finished. BRIMSTONE & THE PROTECTOR

Yes, now that I'm getting a little better with the tablet I'm a bit more confident. This drawing, for example, was completely done from initial sketch all digitally. I'm still figuring out how to use the pressure sensitivity effectively and what brush sizes and settings work best, which is actually why you probably noticed that this drawing is very sparse on lines. It's specifically meant to be shaded in the coloring step, so I wanted to avoid rendering in the inks. I'm also going to try out a different coloring technique for this one. Later on when I'm more comfortable controlling my line weights on the tablet I'll start to play around more with doing complex shading in the inks.

Good points about the shoulders and knee, although it's probably too late now since I'm half-way through coloring it (I think it's going to come out well, cant wait to show that off) There's definitely parts that I'm not completely happy with, but I also want to avoid getting too obsessed with it to the point where I'm constantly reworking it.

RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RamsIllustrations

@WillPayton:

Depending on whether you are using layers you can manipulate the black white lines and reform the colors on the slight changes, shouldn't be too difficult since it's worth the results, it's coming out great for your first fully finished tablet piece.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By willpayton

@RamsIllustrations said:

@WillPayton:

Depending on whether you are using layers you can manipulate the black white lines and reform the colors on the slight changes, shouldn't be too difficult since it's worth the results, it's coming out great for your first fully finished tablet piece.

Yup, I have everything in different layers... about 25 of them. =D But, yeah, that change alone at this point might easily affect like 6 of the layers. I'm actually pretty happy with the way it's coming out though. The lighting on the right shoulder actually accentuates it more than what it looks like on the inked version, and the knee I think also looks better since I'm reworking the black parts of his uniform for the colored version.

Thanks! I'm pretty surprised myself that it's coming out so well, especially the way the colored image is coming along. I dont think I could have done this on the Intuos tablet, at least not without many months more practice. This Cintiq is really awesome.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By BatteredArmor

Nice

1frankcastle4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By 1frankcastle4

fabulous

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By willpayton

Finished the colored version. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Tried a new coloring method for this since I dont seem to be especially good at just air-brushing. This method gives more "banding" of colors, that is more comic-bookish, which I like. It's also easier than air-brushing.

Let me know what you guys think.

No Caption Provided

(as usual, click on image for best quality. There seems to be some compression artifacts in the way CV displays the image by default)

Strafe Prower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By Strafe Prower

@WillPayton: You did much better on the coloring this time! This is wonderfully done!

RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WillPayton:

You are off to a good start, came out great!! :)