#1 Edited by WillPayton (9445 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm getting a new graphics tablet, and when I do I'll start to hopefully be making art again.

For now, I thought I might post some very, very old scans of art I did years ago. These are just pencil/pen, usually on napkins, Let me know what you guys think.

#2 Posted by KMART4455 (1290 posts) - - Show Bio

Not bad

Keep practicing and you can do nothing but improve!

#3 Edited by WillPayton (9445 posts) - - Show Bio

@KMART4455 said:

Not bad

Keep practicing and you can do nothing but improve!

Thanks. Here's another couple I did at about the same time. This first one was literally just with a ballpoint pen on a napkin. The second one is pencil on regular paper:

#4 Posted by KMART4455 (1290 posts) - - Show Bio

@WillPayton: I like them.

You have good form.

Keep at it and youre stuff will be even more amazing.

#5 Edited by WillPayton (9445 posts) - - Show Bio

A couple more I dug up:

#6 Posted by WillPayton (9445 posts) - - Show Bio

@LadyLigeia said:

Your drawings are all very detailed and well executed. You're freaking me out that some are on napkins though, good thing you are scanning them in.

Thank you!

LOL... yeah I used to draw a lot on napkins because I only had time during lunch, and I always carry a pen in my pocket. Also, I really like the feeling of drawing with a ballpoint pen on napkins... it's the texture and softness of the paper, combined with the sense that it's completely disposable. Being able to draw without any expectation that it has to be good actually can yield a lot of good results. Expecting perfection is the biggest enemy to practice, and practice is the only real way to get better.

Hehe... here's another napkin drawing...

#7 Posted by RamsIllustrations (1052 posts) - - Show Bio

@WillPayton:

I think my faves are the Dr Strange and the face above Batman. Nice feeling to them.

I was a Bartender for ten years in addition to my regular job and I have many napkin drawings too, mostly caricatures of the patrons, the very odd ones. :)

#8 Posted by KMART4455 (1290 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the batman one.

Good job...

#9 Posted by WillPayton (9445 posts) - - Show Bio

@KMART4455 said:

I like the batman one.

Good job...

Thank you! That's a pretty old drawing... I have mixed feeling about it because while I'm really happy the way some parts came out (the head/face, foot), I also really screwed up some anatomy... like the shoulder. Hehe... maybe once I get some practice with my new graphics tablet I might take that drawing and re-work and ink it.

#10 Edited by WillPayton (9445 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok, here's a question for you guys... (this is going to be really hard and I dont expect anyone will get it)...

So, that first drawing that's posted in this thread, is actually inspired by a DC character. In fact, inspired from a specific scene at the end of a DC comic (from the early 90's). It's not exactly the same as the image in the comic, since I did the drawing on it's own later, and I mainly got the hair style different.

The question is... who's the character?

Seriously I'll be shocked it anyone can guess the character, but it's not outside the realm of possibility that someone will know it if they read the comic and remember the scene.