Posted by chrisblue77 (25 posts) - - Show Bio

It's always been one of my personal points of stupidity, when to date sketch.

When you start or when you finish?

#1 Edited by RamsIllustrations (1030 posts) - - Show Bio

@chrisblue77: Why would you when you start? Finish it first and if it's worth keeping it, sign it and date it. That way you create a history of where your breakthroughs in improvement where over the years.

#2 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4157 posts) - - Show Bio

I never date a sketch.. in fact I try to steer clear of them.. you don't know what types of trouble they can be.

#3 Posted by RamsIllustrations (1030 posts) - - Show Bio

Really? Im just passing tips handed down from professionals working in Marvel and DC that I know on a personal level. These tips have served me well for many years. It comes down to personal preference but its not good when you look back and dont have dates. I know because I have a few pieces that don' t and its hard to pinpoint the time period they where drawn. To each his own.

#4 Posted by blur1528 (1055 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nova`Prime`: Trouble?

#5 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (675 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't sign sketches. If it isn't a finished work, it's not worth signing in my opinion. If you like to keep your stuff labeled, you can write some info on the back or something. Or if you use BlueLine comic pages there is a place to label these kinds of things if you so choose. But for the work I do I only sign it at the end.

#6 Posted by KMART4455 (1290 posts) - - Show Bio

I only sign when its worth keeping. When Im finished with it.

If its just a sketch that isnt right or i wont finish I wont sign it.

#7 Posted by ARMIV2 (8290 posts) - - Show Bio

I sometimes date a sketch if I'm going to go back to it for reference or something.

#8 Posted by SteveRodgers (728 posts) - - Show Bio

i never date except the year. i try and put the year on all of them if possible

#9 Posted by RamsIllustrations (1030 posts) - - Show Bio

@SteveRodgers:

I agree, a year on the art is a partial date as the timeframe of what that art represents in your development as an artist. It will be helpful years later.