What would you think of a overweight lead comic character?

fisheypixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By fisheypixels

Something I've noticed in all the comics I've read is that everyone is a super model. To be honest it bugs me. That there is no realistic diversity in this. I mean I've seen maybe one comic where it had stuff like this done in a realistic fashion. And I don't remember that comic's name. I just like comics to have realistic(ish) worlds. Including this aspect.

So I was sketching some stuff the other day, and when I started one sketch, it turned into a (very very) early character concept. I'm working on a fantasy comic at the moment, and thought it to be fitting. (the world is fantasy, but it's in the era where they discovered technology, but are advancing. think fantasy mid 1800's)

Okay, I know it sounds weird, but I'm thinking about making her bigger. like heavier i guess.

No Caption Provided

Here's a picture I took with my phone (scanner is broken):

So what I guess I'm really looking for is what you think would make her better. Whether it be clothes or overall look. (also please critique

What I gave her is ruffles in the neck/upper chest area;

a fancy coat

poofy fancy arm things

a skirt frayed at the bottom

the legs and shoes were more just last minute things and will most likely change.

So I guess what I'm looking for is the following:

What do you think her personality would be based on how she looks(i have a basic idea, but I want to see what you all think)? What do you think should be added to give her a more real or better look? What in general should be done to improve? Would you like to see this type of character?

*cough critique cough cough please cough cough cough*

Lastly, I wanted to say that I have my picture of what I want this character to be. I've figured that part out. I just want to know what you (potential reader) would like to see in this type of character. Then make improvements on her until she is a good, realistic character. So don't be all "You should make these decisions yourself" I know.

Thanks!

KidPhillip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By KidPhillip

Eh. It'll be weird to what I'm used too, but I'll try it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are overweight people in comics, they just aren't superheros because they're overweight. We used to have Amanda waller but not they made her hot too

fisheypixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: @kidphillip:

Thanks for the feedback guys. I know there are, but it seems like 95% of the time, if they have some fancy origin story on how they got their super powers, they are already that way physically. Another point made. Many of the overweight comic characters are getting to be like that.

Avatar image for mightyrearranger
mightyrearranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

@jayc1324: Personally, I don't find new Waller very attractive either. She looks as bland as her personality has been. *shrugs*

I'd read a solo series starring pre-boot Amanda though! That's what a few arcs of Ostrander's Suicide Squad basically were.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#6 BumpyBoo  Moderator

I am all for more physical diversity in comics!! Good on you for working this kind of thing into your own art, that's pretty cool :)

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Nice :)

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

As a dude who stands 5'6" and weighs 175 lbs. I wouldnt mind seeing myself represented more in comics.

fisheypixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@longbowhunter: @wolverine08: @bumpyboo:

Thanks! Indeed, it has gotten a bit out of hand. No diversity. It's been on my mind for a while, and since I've started working on my own story for a while now, I've started drawing some concepts on the world and races and characters.

Thank you very much!

Haha yeah, I think everyone should be able to see at least something physical about themselves in comic character, instead of their role models always being these unrealistic physical miracles. Wow, that sounded really not how I wanted it to. But you get the point. Whatever.