Tericek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Tericek

Hi all,

My boyfriend loves comics and is interested in learning to draw like that. I would like to get him some starting kit for Christmas but I am not really sure what it should contain. I figured if I find a group of people with the same interest I could get some help :)

So far I would like to get him "How to Draw Comics The Marvel Way" book and starting kit from http://www.bluelinepro.com/Merchant5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BL&Product_Code=BLPHG14&Category_Code=000001_PAR_Holidaybut I am not sure if what it contains is really useful for someone just starting off - I don't think he will start creating a book right away, rather just learning to draw and ink. Additionally I was looking around for some magazine about comic books creation or something like that he might want to subscribe to...

Any tips on equipment he might need and/or some interesting books/videos to help him learn to draw?

Thanks!

T.

deadcool_XD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

@tericek:

not to sound super cheesy, but the best kit comes from the mind. It doesn't really matter what you draw it just has to be your own style. If he wants to experience the really good artwork, try and find some sketchbooks or art from people like alex ross, scottie young, Humberto ramos, etc.

knotty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's three books that I'll swear by:

How to Draw the Human Figure by Jack Hamm (excellent book for figure drawing beginners)

The Art of Drawing Manga & Comic Book Characters by Bob Berry

Dynamic Wrinkles and Drapery: Solutions for Drawing the Clothed Figure by Burne Hogarthe ('cause your figures are gonna have to wear clothes and capes eventually...)

Good luck!

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By WaveMotionCannon

How to draw comics the Marvel way.

Dynamic Anatomy by Burne Hogarth

Dynamic Wrinkles by Burne Hogarth

Force: Dynamic Life Drawing for Animators by Mattesi.

Tericek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you all for the tips! Books ordered :) Now I will just get him some basic tools they will recommend in the books I guess..