Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By korghano
Streets of Kebbah - By Shofela Coker
Streets of Kebbah - By Shofela Coker

Asterix and Obelix, Tintin, Conan, Spider-Man, Thrudd the Barbarian... my brother and I grew up with comics everywhere, and we knew we wanted to make them ourselves one day. That's what we're doing now. We literally woke up one morning a few months ago and decided to give it our best shot, we were going to draw and publish our own independent comic. He would draw, color and letter, and I would write. We're also going to document everything we can about the production process. That includes details on writing, drawing, finding a printer, shipping and handling, and marketing the thing. So here were are at the beginning. Fingers crossed, eh?

Kebbah is the main district in the City of the Seven Faces, where our story is set. Streets of Kebbah wasn't the first piece of art Shof created for Tales from the Jonahverse #1, but it was the first complete tone piece. Most of the art he'd done prior involved alien and vehicle designs, as well as character sketches. This piece was intended to bring all those elements together and make sure they worked in context.

Shof worked on Streets of Kebbah while I was working on the script, which meant he was adding details, characters, landmarks, and making revisions as the script evolved - it was pretty neat to see! The barber shop, panther, and hilltop palace seen in the final version below are all part of the story to some degree.

The very first sketch
The very first sketch

Second pass, note the switch in composition (explained below)
Second pass, note the switch in composition (explained below)

Work in progress inks
Work in progress inks
Finished inks, on to colors!
Finished inks, on to colors!
The final concept piece, finished by Shof
The final concept piece, finished by Shof

This was the first time during production that I was able to sit back and think to myself, "this book's going to look incredible! " You might notice that the composition of the image changes after the first sketch, I asked Shof about that, and also about what he looked at for inspiration. His answer was incomprehensible art-gibber, but here it is anyway -

And that's yer lot! In the next post I'll talk a little about the story, and how the project itself came together.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#1 BumpyBoo  Moderator

Wow, so interesting, I always love seeing pics at various stages of completion, watching them come together into a finished piece. Can't wait to hear more about the story! :)

Thank you for sharing this with us ^___^

korghano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By korghano

Anytime @bumpyboo, thanks so much for the kind words! We're hoping to be really open about the process so hopefully you'll be seeing a lot more behind the scenes stuff :D

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#3  Edited By BumpyBoo  Moderator

@korghano: Aw that is great! :D Like I said it is fascinating to see but also, it gives you an appreciation for all the hard work that goes into something like this.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is great. The style,composition, colors, EVERYTHING. It's always fascinating and educational to see something evolve from an idea to a finished piece. I'm looking forward to seeing more from you guys.

korghano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wavemotioncannon: Thanks! We can't wait to show more. The next blog post will be a little less art-heavy and focus on the story, but we've got a lot more great stuff coming :)