#1 Posted by jayran (60 posts) - - Show Bio

ok sorry it took me so long to get back at you guys but here is the color part. First you scan the art work at a 300dpi or more. then you fix the contrast to make the blak ink come out then you Copy the lyer

then you do the big thing. one one thing that most peolpe dont know how its dun. you multiply the coped layer and make the background layer one solid color.

Now you do your flats. "Flats" are you bacik colors. I like to make my flats the bace color of what it is i'm doing. the reason for flats is that you can use the want tool to just grab that part that you wnat to color.

this is what it looks liek with out the ink work Your flats if you will.

next useing the lasso tool (ou will need a tablet to do the rest of the coloring. you can use a mouse but its a lil hard to do it with it. You can but it will take you longer then if you had a tablet www.wacom.com makes grate ones) here i use this tool to make the highlight in the healmet

this is the finesh helmet. i use the rub tool to blend in the eages to give it that nice soft feel. Other colorest ile to use the hard ege look. I think that looks cool to but i rather use the soft methed. (you can do it in what ever you like its up to you)

Now this is the finesh peace. I use mostly the burn tool to make my shadows and the lighten tool for th ehigh lights. I also used darker colors for some of the parts. and added a lil' red to the ax to show rust. Allways keeping in mind where my light sorce is comeing from. And adding shadow where it is needed.

And lastly the high lights. he has reflective straps so i have to show that. also whent and added some glear to the mask . and that it. If you have any question fell free to ask me. I will try to answer it the best way i can.

thank you

julian

aka jayran

#2 Posted by Mind (256 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome, I've said this before, I envy anyone who can draw even a stick figure. Even if I will have no use for it, learning about the process of illustration was very interesting.
Post Edited:2007-04-17 18:51:04

#3 Posted by jayran (60 posts) - - Show Bio

thanks man.

#4 Posted by Icoop (310 posts) - - Show Bio

jayran says:

"then you do the big thing. one one thing that most peolpe dont know how its dun. you multiply the coped layer and make the background layer one solid color. Now you do your flats. "Flats" are you bacik colors. I like to make my flats the bace color of what it is i'm doing. the reason for flats is that you can use the want tool to just grab that part that you wnat to color. http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l169/julianaguilera/Flats.png"

OMG you're right i had no idea how that part was done. I was always using one layer and either sacrificing detail for color or color for detail. Thank you so much!

#5 Posted by jayran (60 posts) - - Show Bio

anytime. If you have any questions just ask me. I'll be more then willing to help you out.

#6 Posted by Intervener (453 posts) - - Show Bio

That's really cool, is that the standard method for coloring?

#7 Posted by jayran (60 posts) - - Show Bio

for some of us yes. Its all a style on how to do it. Some use channels others (like my self) use layers. It all how you want to do it. But the way i put it is one of the EZ ways of doing it. A grate way to start. and if you keep it up youll get good at it.

#8 Posted by Son of Kal-el (51 posts) - - Show Bio

wow thats really cool! i wish i could do something like that, on my computer i dont have a program like that, guess i have to get a mac or something... Photoshop is that good? what do you recommend? once again how do you get into this kind of work?

#9 Posted by jayran (60 posts) - - Show Bio

i use a dell for my work. and i have Photoshop CS in it. If you wnat to get in the biz, try going to the cons and first se what it is that thay are looking for. Or go online to the comp' and see what it is that need from you.