Mike_Montalvo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Mike_Montalvo

Hello all:

I'm new here to comic vine. I'm a part time colorist (Hobbyist) and have only been doing it for a little over a year. Figured I would share one of my latest colors, I did this for fun.

Spiderman - Pencils by Shane Davis, Inks by Tony Kordos, Colors by Mike Montalvo
Spiderman - Pencils by Shane Davis, Inks by Tony Kordos, Colors by Mike Montalvo

The line art was downloaded from: www.seanellery.com.

If you like to compare the original line art with flats and the finished shading and FX, here it is:

No Caption Provided

Thanks for viewing.

Mike Montalvo

JeanRalphio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Is it weird that I like the flat colors better?

Mike_Montalvo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Mike_Montalvo

@jeanralphio: LOL not really, the flats have a more feel of older style comic I think, considering that Spiderman is an old character that also had a TV show that also didn't have much shading, it's not surprising that one would tend to like the feel and look of the flats :D at least in my opinion :D

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By AllStarSuperman

colors look great, I think the inks are weak, imo

Mike_Montalvo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman: Thank you very much... I didn't mind the inks, however I loved the pose and angle of the image and that's what made me color it.

IcePrince_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By IcePrince_X

I agree that the last one is awesome but the flat colors do give me that comic book feel and thus more endearing to me. But great work on this piece!

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@jeanralphio: I do too, the finished looks a little plasticky.

Cutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool...I like your style...good job!

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kidchipotle

I love all three! They each have such a different feel to them! I hope you continue posting your work on here!

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Nice!

Mike_Montalvo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: Thanks, I think I might have over done the shine on his thighs, which is causing the plastic look I think.

Mike_Montalvo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike_montalvo: That might be it. I know I wouldn't have a problem at all if it wasnt next to the flats picture. That one is just much more umm..."comic booky." It's just more appealing to me.

For reference, I really like David Aja, Michael Walsh, Michael Allred, Chris Samnee, etc. It's kind of a style that's just appealing to me.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike_montalvo: Although, the finished job really reminds me of the colors used on Mark Bagley's work on Ultimate Spider-Man. ^_^

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#15 BumpyBoo  Moderator

Oooh what's this? A new artist? *forum senses activate*

Hey first off welcome to CV man, and great to see you posting your colour work here! Also, like a few posters here, I like both colours but favour the second :) It really does have that retro charm ^___^

Mike_Montalvo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: Agreed, it's more traditional comic style. When I was little I was given some old comics of Popeye, Tom & Jerry and some others and back then I loved the art just as it was and they would then buy me Superman, Spiderman and so forth. I then moved to Puerto Rico, still at a young age, but money was tough so no more comics for me until I rediscovered them in '94, 2 years into university and the art attracted me, I fell in love with Wild Cats, Cyber Force, Lady Death, Spawn, and mostly it was the art calling me, such colors LOL, and I collected posters. For some reason I am attracted to art with shadows and highlights and digital effects, I'm not sure but I think it also had to do with the long time of not collecting comics.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Left: Last year when I started coloring, another person who loves traditional style gave me a small comic to color and this is how I colored it, I was just learning so this is how I colored it.

Right: After I learned a bit more it all changed LOL, this is from a project that just got published, Inner Beings. I colored this like 6 months ago and I did the lettering too. Bit this is the idea how I do my sequential pages.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the traditional art form of comics and I respect it. I still love when someone shows me an old comic.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JakeN7

@mike_montalvo: That's interesting. Yeah, it sounds like your style might be more suited to Sci-Fi pictures and movie posters. Although, colorists in comics are a varied bunch, you definitely have a unique style. Comic book readers are a finicky lot though. But your work is definitely cover art material. That Spider-Man pic would look great on a cover. The flats one is definitely more suited to the interiors.

Are you still living in Puerto Rico? Have you thought about moving to try and pursue your career further?

Mike_Montalvo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bumpyboo: Thank you so very much :D

@jaken7: Thanks man.

I did move out of PR, I live in Canada now, I'm currently an IT Professional, and so far the coloring is just a hobby with commission work here and there, at the moment I can only dedicate a couple of hours at night, wish I could spend more time, but we shall see where this ride takes me, so far I'm just having lots of fun with it, I like anything creative.

Avatar image for uncanny_xfactor
Uncanny_XFactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Beautiful work.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

@mike_montalvo: Great work, man. Being a colorist myself, I really like these.