Some of My Drawings

Watertownronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Watertownronin

Hi guys I'm a graphic design major and  instead of hitting that brick wall of trying to find employment when I graduate I've decided to try and start to break through WHILE in school. Here are some of the drawings that I've done that are in my portfolio that revolve around well known heroes. If you'd like to see more of my work you can find it at Http://www.watertownroninstudio.blogspot.com

Edgeworth_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Edgeworth_11

Great work. So do you draw and ink by hand than color on the computer?
Watertownronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Watertownronin

I do draw and ink by hand but I've inked an image for a client recently on my pc using photoshop. As far as color goes I use photoshop but when a pc wasn't near by I've used sharpie markers for quick color in my sketchbook.

Edgeworth_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Edgeworth_11

Great! Hope to see more of your work.
MrUnknown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By MrUnknown
@Watertownronin: Looks great! How long have you been drawing since?
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By tonis

@Watertownronin: very cool and unique style. Thanks for sharing and welcome to the vines artist corner, looking forward to seeing more for sure.

oh and I like your attitude, don't wait for graduation, or some kind of permission, just RUN with those talents ;)

Watertownronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Watertownronin
@MrUnknown: I started where everyone else did. At kindergarden or earlier. I'm 31 currently so that should give you an idea of how long I guess.
Watertownronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Watertownronin
@tonis: Yeah I've spoken to a graphic designers and I'm getting the impression they they normally  wait until after they've graduated from college to actually start looking for work and it really seems like a uphill battle. Also I want to side step that whole "Internship" crap. I think that sort of stuff is garbage. Unless your working at a design firm as an internship the only reason why someone would want to use  you as an intern is if they want to hire free labor to get something creative done that they should be paying you for. :)
MrUnknown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By MrUnknown
@Watertownronin: A better question would have been how routinely do you draw?
Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Billy Batson

Cool. 

BB

shadow death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By shadow death

nice

Watertownronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Watertownronin

Here are some more images that I've created recently 
  If you'd like to see a larger version of the Process Image check my gallery.
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By tonis

@Watertownronin: kick ass, I love super powered kid versions of things :)

good work

MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By MrDirector786

Cool. You're pretty good.

soundbite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By soundbite
@Watertownronin said:
@tonis: Yeah I've spoken to a graphic designers and I'm getting the impression they they normally  wait until after they've graduated from college to actually start looking for work and it really seems like a uphill battle. Also I want to side step that whole "Internship" crap. I think that sort of stuff is garbage. Unless your working at a design firm as an internship the only reason why someone would want to use  you as an intern is if they want to hire free labor to get something creative done that they should be paying you for. :)

I'd seriously reconsider sidestepping the internship. 
Watertownronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Watertownronin

Really? That's interesting. Can you explain how that would be beneficial for a creative professional attempting to get into comics? Or could you explain how that would benefit someone who is interested in doing concept art?

DanPrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DanPrice

Outstanding work.  Love your style and would really love to see to your sequential pages. Definitely keep it up!

soundbite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By soundbite
@Watertownronin said:
Really? That's interesting. Can you explain how that would be beneficial for a creative professional attempting to get into comics? Or could you explain how that would benefit someone who is interested in doing concept art?

just like any job experience in any field.  learning to meet deadlines, dealing with customers, making important contacts ( you never know who you could meet that could hook you up later), and learning the business side of art that they don't teach you in school, just to name a few.
Watertownronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Watertownronin

You make a good point on a of those things. Since meeting deadlines, dealing with customers, making important contacts  and learning the business side of the industry are not things that you learn from internships exclusively, I feel like looking for freelance work is the better option . Putting that together with making a profit from the client makes it a more of a desirable circumstance.  While I would say it's probably not a BAD idea to do an internship, (in fact in some situations it's a good idea depending on the industry were talking about)  I feel like the artist has to take into account the employer and the type of internship it is. If were talking about a paid internship, then all of those things that you point out are absolutely true. However, if were talking about the following.

1.It's an unpaid internship
2. Your supervisor is not a creative person (graphic designer,art director, etc). 
3. Your the only one creating assets for the project. 
4. The company has very little to no visibility

Then I have to ask myself what exactly am I learning from this experience except except how to work for free. I guess what I'm trying to say is...If you are the primary creative of the visual materials (no creative supervision etc) and they could feasibly pay for the services that your offering, then maybe that sort of situation should be something you avoid in favor of actual freelance work.  

Keep in mind that I'm not full time freelance so take what I"m saying with a grain of salt. I'm still working myself towards that direction and it's very hard for me to find clients. 

Watertownronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Watertownronin

No Caption Provided
Here is an image I created involving a Cos player recently . 
 I've also just added the process that I used to create this image as well.

No Caption Provided