Some 3D stuff I made.

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This is stuff I've made in Maya and Sculptris. Figured that since I'm gonna be learning this stuff for school that I might as well try to make it something I can be kinda good at.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Your thoughts?

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#2 BumpyBoo  Moderator

WOW!!

I absolutely love this, I mean it is so different to what you usually post (that sounds bad, not meaning it like that I am quite a fan of your regular stuff lol...). Sorry, rambling XD But yeah...this is seriously cool stuff, @armiv2 ^____^

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ARMIV2

@bumpyboo said:

WOW!!

I absolutely love this, I mean it is so different to what you usually post (that sounds bad, not meaning it like that I am quite a fan of your regular stuff lol...). Sorry, rambling XD But yeah...this is seriously cool stuff, @armiv2 ^____^

Heh-heh-heh, well thank you kindly! I was on the fence originally, but I think I'll try to make these regular updates along with my traditional work.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BumpyBoo  Moderator

@armiv2: That would be great! :) Cool idea, having a thread for traditional and one for digital.

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bumpyboo: ^^ Hopefully I can get some stuff for my traditional thread soon. In the meantime, more 3D.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BumpyBoo  Moderator

@armiv2: How long does it take to make something like that?

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ARMIV2

@bumpyboo said:

@armiv2: How long does it take to make something like that?

It depends on a few different things, main ones being the actual programs themselves. Maya, the one where I made the car and first monster, works by using points and geometry and all that technical stuff, so for someone like me that can be really tricky. Sculptris on the other hand is really straight forward in that it just lets you go in and carve up the default shape it gives you, but as it uses a lot of polygons and stuff to make things look really good, the program can be a bit crashy.

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 200

User Lists: 1

@armiv2: Hey, you any good at animating that stuff too?

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ARMIV2

@durakken said:

We have barely begun to start learning animation at the moment, so the most that I know that I could do now would be making everything move in a circle.

The more advanced looking models that I have made actually keep crashing Maya, so I haven't had much of a chance at really experimenting.

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@armiv2 said:

@durakken said:

We have barely begun to start learning animation at the moment, so the most that I know that I could do now would be making everything move in a circle.

The more advanced looking models that I have made actually keep crashing Maya, so I haven't had much of a chance at really experimenting.

Strange... you guys must be using some really bad computers...

Have you tried working with Blender?

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@durakken said:

@armiv2 said:

@durakken said:

Strange... you guys must be using some really bad computers...

Have you tried working with Blender?

I'm doing this all on my laptop. And I haven't tried Blender.

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@armiv2: You wouldn't happen to be interested in working on game stuff would you? I need someone to work with on a project.

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ARMIV2

@durakken said:

@armiv2: You wouldn't happen to be interested in working on game stuff would you? I need someone to work with on a project.

I am so incredibly infantile in my 3D/Maya stuff skills, so I don't know how I'd be able to help you.

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@armiv2 said:

@durakken said:

I am so incredibly infantile in my 3D/Maya stuff skills, so I don't know how I'd be able to help you.

Well I need someone that can design characters, space ships, and environments, and model them in 3D... I'm not so concerned about the animation as that can be added later... What you've shown is sufficient to I need it seems and the style looks decently like the style I like. Considering that over the course of your class work and if you agree to work with me you'll likely improve. I think you'd be able to do what I want/need from what I see... otherwise I wouldn't ask.

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ARMIV2

@durakken said:

@armiv2 said:

@durakken said:

Well I need someone that can design characters, space ships, and environments, and model them in 3D... I'm not so concerned about the animation as that can be added later... What you've shown is sufficient to I need it seems and the style looks decently like the style I like. Considering that over the course of your class work and if you agree to work with me you'll likely improve. I think you'd be able to do what I want/need from what I see... otherwise I wouldn't ask.

Well gosh, if you really think I could be of any service with what I can do currently...

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Durakken

@armiv2 said:

@durakken said:

@armiv2 said:

@durakken said:

Well gosh, if you really think I could be of any service with what I can do currently...

I should correct something, even though I may not need to... I didn't mean "If you work with me you'll improve but otherwise won't" I meant "You'll improve regardless, and if you work with me there is a chance you might improve more because really working on a project tends to improve people more" I'm not that egotistical lol.

And by "with" I mean with, not for... I have a vision of what I want to some degree, but if you think something is good or bad let me know...

Anyways, not that that is out of the way...I ask, will you work with me? No pay, I don't have the money, but if things work out we'll split profits between us and whoever else I gets to work with us if I can >.> If so we can share info in PM and get started ^.^

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@durakken said:

@armiv2 said:

@durakken said:

@armiv2 said:

@durakken said:

I should correct something, even though I may not need to... I didn't mean "If you work with me you'll improve but otherwise won't" I meant "You'll improve regardless, and if you work with me there is a chance you might improve more because really working on a project tends to improve people more" I'm not that egotistical lol.

And by "with" I mean with, not for... I have a vision of what I want to some degree, but if you think something is good or bad let me know...

Anyways, not that that is out of the way...I ask, will you work with me? No pay, I don't have the money, but if things work out we'll split profits between us and whoever else I gets to work with us if I can >.> If so we can share info in PM and get started ^.^

...What is it you have in mind?

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@armiv2: I'm planning on working on the plans for an RPG, current name is Star Schism. The story has androids, cyborgs, mechs, star ships, etc. I prefer a more anime-ish style... I'll be programming it using Untity 3D. If I can get a writer that is better than me yay, if not I'll be trying my best. I'm good at overall story archs and world creation...mediocre at writing the actual story currently. Also might need a level designer or we can both try to work that out together. I'm a bit strung up on getting things more realistic...I've never liked the you can only explore three screens of a city type thing JRPGs do nor do I like the barren wasteland 5 house thing that W-RPGs do... Getting a level designer that can take this into account would be a great help...

Just as an example of what is needed... The first scenes will go something like this.

Main Protagonist is sitting on the edge of a hyper-space rift in their vessel. Another ship is heading towards the rift. He attempts to stop them as entering the rift is deadly. The ship launches attack drones. A mech appears and saves the protagonist, taking heavy damage. He pulls up aside the mech, saves the pilot and heads towards the nearest hospital which is aboard a space elevator station where he seeks medical attention for her. He meets her partner. After she wakes up they depart to another system...

The space station and the city beneath will be reused as it is a ship that they use to plant colonies.

I currently have not decided whether I'm going to try to do something more like Rogue Galaxy/Phanstasy Star Online 2 in terms of combat or do more Chrono Trigger like... the difficult of the former is more the animations while the latter is just building the system which would be a lot more work with Unity3D than going the PSO2 route.

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ARMIV2

@durakken: And you'd want me to be doing some models for the characters and the ships/objects or just the characters?

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@armiv2 said:

@durakken: And you'd want me to be doing some models for the characters and the ships/objects or just the characters?

All the stuff that isn't nailed down (characters, weapons, outfits, ships...internal and external) in the world pretty much. I'm not in a rush, in fact this is meant to be released slowly with only a few hours of content released each week over a long period of time... like a tv series.

As to the ship design...as I mentioned the "station/city" is a colony ship. So that would be both one of the nailed down things as well as not. If you'd like to design that as well it'd be great (since the ships would also have the same design schema) Or if you know someone that would work with us that that is interested in level design would be great to. If not, until I can figure something out can always work with basic stuff...

Levels like that aren't generally one model to begin with. The problem is that I suck at mapping things realistically as I don't get out much and so don't have a good sense of where things go, no matter what the setting is ^.^ Basically I want to have maps where if you can go in a ship and there is no reason why it's locked off you should be able to go there... which is a lot of copy paste for some things, but that's what I want. A lot of the ships and cities will be more or less reused, but modified a little, anyways as the game expands since the civilization building these things is pretty much manufacturing to the max which means a lot of interchangeable parts so you can quick fix or quick build things...

In that scenario above...here's the things that need modeled...

1. Protag 1
  2. Protag 1 Personal Humanoid Computer
  3. Protag 2
  4. Protag 3
  5. Starter ship Internal
  6. Starter ship external
  7. Protag 2's mecha
  8. Drone
  9. Enemy Ship external
  10. Space Station elevator external
  11. part of the space Station elevator internal
  12. Doctor

That's the basics... The Protags should all have customizable clothes (meaning they should be naked and then clothes and weapons are a different model) and mechs should all be customizable too. The Space Elevator would be much better if it was fully designed, and modeled... which includes hospital beds and such. NPCs that walk around the station.

I don't know how fast you or anyone could do this... I know it sounds like a lot of work. Especially with me saying multiple planets and having realistic cities... I've also been quick to point out re-using things because there should be a lot of reusing of elements. A city may be a lot of work but 2 that use basically the same layout with slight difference is not twice the work, if you get what I'm saying...

I think you'd be able to handle it in terms of being able to do it. I'm not so much sure on the time issue art school stuff can be a pain and I know modeling can take a long time depending on your competency and what is being asked. The style I think that would suit what I am thinking of best is a simpler one, like I said, more anime like, which may mean less time than you're thinking, but again I don't know. I won't hold it against you if you decline and/or think I'm nuts lol ^.^

I hope I answered your question...not sure...

Avatar image for ramsillustrations
RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@armiv2:

My thought's? Great stuff Buddy!

Tried my hand at this and heres my beginners first use of Sculptris, I'm still laughing at my feeble attempt!

No Caption Provided

A little time and patience I'm sure is what I need and time is not available at the moment. :p

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@durakken said:

@armiv2 said:

All the stuff that isn't nailed down (characters, weapons, outfits, ships...internal and external) in the world pretty much. I'm not in a rush, in fact this is meant to be released slowly with only a few hours of content released each week over a long period of time... like a tv series.

As to the ship design...as I mentioned the "station/city" is a colony ship. So that would be both one of the nailed down things as well as not. If you'd like to design that as well it'd be great (since the ships would also have the same design schema) Or if you know someone that would work with us that that is interested in level design would be great to. If not, until I can figure something out can always work with basic stuff...

Levels like that aren't generally one model to begin with. The problem is that I suck at mapping things realistically as I don't get out much and so don't have a good sense of where things go, no matter what the setting is ^.^ Basically I want to have maps where if you can go in a ship and there is no reason why it's locked off you should be able to go there... which is a lot of copy paste for some things, but that's what I want. A lot of the ships and cities will be more or less reused, but modified a little, anyways as the game expands since the civilization building these things is pretty much manufacturing to the max which means a lot of interchangeable parts so you can quick fix or quick build things...

In that scenario above...here's the things that need modeled...

1. Protag 1
  2. Protag 1 Personal Humanoid Computer
  3. Protag 2
  4. Protag 3
  5. Starter ship Internal
  6. Starter ship external
  7. Protag 2's mecha
  8. Drone
  9. Enemy Ship external
  10. Space Station elevator external
  11. part of the space Station elevator internal
  12. Doctor

That's the basics... The Protags should all have customizable clothes (meaning they should be naked and then clothes and weapons are a different model) and mechs should all be customizable too. The Space Elevator would be much better if it was fully designed, and modeled... which includes hospital beds and such. NPCs that walk around the station.

I don't know how fast you or anyone could do this... I know it sounds like a lot of work. Especially with me saying multiple planets and having realistic cities... I've also been quick to point out re-using things because there should be a lot of reusing of elements. A city may be a lot of work but 2 that use basically the same layout with slight difference is not twice the work, if you get what I'm saying...

I think you'd be able to handle it in terms of being able to do it. I'm not so much sure on the time issue art school stuff can be a pain and I know modeling can take a long time depending on your competency and what is being asked. The style I think that would suit what I am thinking of best is a simpler one, like I said, more anime like, which may mean less time than you're thinking, but again I don't know. I won't hold it against you if you decline and/or think I'm nuts lol ^.^

I hope I answered your question...not sure...

Ooooh, that looks like a lot...

@armiv2:

My thought's? Great stuff Buddy!

Tried my hand at this and heres my beginners first use of Sculptris, I'm still laughing at my feeble attempt!

No Caption Provided

A little time and patience I'm sure is what I need and time is not available at the moment. :p

That's all it takes with this one. I know my first attempt was...yeah...as well, heh-heh.

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ramsillustrations: looks better than my first attempt at messing with stuff in Maya

@armiv2: I know it looks like a lot but, as I said, it's not really a rush thing, and a lot of it should be modular so should be far easier, as specially as time goes on. For example, a mech might consist of head, torso, legs, upper arms, lower arms, upper legs, lower legs, and control pod... and that sounds like a lot of work, but hypothetically you take a few overall designs, break them down into those parts and then you have however starting designs to the power of 7 so if you have 3 for example you really have 3x3x3x3x3x3x3. And again... Everything is not "immediate" While I want customization of clothes, we start with non-customizable and later switch to customizable due to the episodic nature of what I want to do.

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ARMIV2

@durakken said:

@ramsillustrations: looks better than my first attempt at messing with stuff in Maya

@armiv2: I know it looks like a lot but, as I said, it's not really a rush thing, and a lot of it should be modular so should be far easier, as specially as time goes on. For example, a mech might consist of head, torso, legs, upper arms, lower arms, upper legs, lower legs, and control pod... and that sounds like a lot of work, but hypothetically you take a few overall designs, break them down into those parts and then you have however starting designs to the power of 7 so if you have 3 for example you really have 3x3x3x3x3x3x3. And again... Everything is not "immediate" While I want customization of clothes, we start with non-customizable and later switch to customizable due to the episodic nature of what I want to do.

Hmmmmm...well if it is an over-time thing I suppose we could see how this works out.

And I honestly thought I had gotten back to you sooner. I do apologize.

BallPointHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@armiv2: Which school are you at? I'm planning on taking an animation major too, but probably at a more 2-D oriented school.

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@armiv2: Which school are you at? I'm planning on taking an animation major too, but probably at a more 2-D oriented school.

I am currently finishing up my 5th quarter over at the Art Institute of Orange County in Santa Ana.

And if you can find a good 2D animation school to go to, then all power to ya. Currently the majority of what I am told from my instructors is that 2D has been on the back burner of the bigger studios' minds while 3D is still the "big thing".

BallPointHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BallPointHero

@armiv2 said:

@ballpointhero said:

I am currently finishing up my 5th quarter over at the Art Institute of Orange County in Santa Ana.

Looks like they have a good 3D program at your school. I was thinking about attending college at CalArts(in Valencia, which should be a drive from Orange County), but I decided against it due to the price tag.

And if you can find a good 2D animation school to go to, then all power to ya. Currently the majority of what I am told from my instructors is that 2D has been on the back burner of the bigger studios' minds while 3D is still the "big thing".

That's exactly why I'm going into it. When it comes to 3D, we have Pixar, Dreamworks, and Blue Sky reigning as the (current)top 3 studios. However, ever since Disney dismantled their hand-drawn animation division, there's no real player left in 2-D. This leaves room for a newcomer studio to rise up and step into that space. With the right story + right characters + breathtaking animation, a 2-D movie can sell just as well as a 3-D one.

2-D is being severely underestimated, and I'm going to take full advantage of that. It may seem foolish, but personally, I see a fantastic opportunity here.

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ARMIV2

@armiv2 said:

@ballpointhero said:

Looks like they have a good 3D program at your school. I was thinking about attending college at CalArts(in Valencia, which should be a drive from Orange County), but I decided against it due to the price tag.

That's exactly why I'm going into it. When it comes to 3D, we have Pixar, Dreamworks, and Blue Sky reigning as the (current)top 3 studios. However, ever since Disney dismantled their hand-drawn animation division, there's no real player left in 2-D. This leaves room for a newcomer studio to rise up and step into that space. With the right story + right characters + breathtaking animation, a 2-D movie can sell just as well as a 3-D one.

2-D is being severely underestimated, and I'm going to take full advantage of that. It may seem foolish, but personally, I see a fantastic opportunity here.

It's a good program indeed, though learning Maya is giving me math flashbacks all over again. I do much more prefer Sculptris when rendering, though the school doesn't seem to have it here.

And I am more than positive that there would be a strong dedicated legion of animators that would follow you in that dream (me probably being one of them). There is a strong majority of folks here who came in here wanting to learn pure traditional/2D styled animation, but all the focus is on 3D. My instructor for 3D modeling tells us that, while 2D isn't dead, it isn't as strong anymore (save for things like Android or iPhone games or whatever) and that seems to break a lot of spirits.

BallPointHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BallPointHero

@armiv2 said:

@ballpointhero said:

@armiv2 said:

@ballpointhero said:

It's a good program indeed, though learning Maya is giving me math flashbacks all over again. I do much more prefer Sculptris when rendering, though the school doesn't seem to have it here.

lmao. I don't remember doing any math when I learned Maya, but I remember sometimes having to input some numbers in the X, Y boxes and stuff. To adjust the location of the item on the grid or something. Maya has so many functions and options that you almost need a map to find out where some of the hidden ones are. I filled half a notebook with shortcuts and directions.

And I am more than positive that there would be a strong dedicated legion of animators that would follow you in that dream (me probably being one of them). There is a strong majority of folks here who came in here wanting to learn pure traditional/2D styled animation, but all the focus is on 3D. My instructor for 3D modeling tells us that, while 2D isn't dead, it isn't as strong anymore (save for things like Android or iPhone games or whatever) and that seems to break a lot of spirits.

Yeah, that's a pretty accurate summary of how things are right now. 2-D is only used in tv animation, and more and more of that is being done in Flash(Total Drama Island, Johny Test, Teen Titans Go), aside from Legend of Korra(which also utilizes a brilliant mix of 2-D and 3-D animation). It might take the medium a while, but it will make a come back.

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ARMIV2

@armiv2 said:

@ballpointhero said:

@armiv2 said:

@ballpointhero said:

lmao. I don't remember doing any math when I learned Maya, but I remember sometimes having to input some numbers in the X, Y boxes and stuff. To adjust the location of the item on the grid or something. Maya has so many functions and options that you almost need a map to find out where some of the hidden ones are. I filled half a notebook with shortcuts and directions.

Yeah, that's a pretty accurate summary of how things are right now. 2-D is only used in tv animation, and more and more of that is being done in Flash(Total Drama Island, Johny Test, Teen Titans Go), aside from Legend of Korra(which also utilizes a brilliant mix of 2-D and 3-D animation). It might take the medium a while, but it will make a come back.

Heh-heh, Maya just gives me the math scares 'cause of how big and technical it all is. Like math I see a whole lot I need to learn and a whole lot I need to do in order to get something right.

And I am really hoping it makes a come back. I will be pushing for that to happen.

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ARMIV2

An update of 3D stuff.

No Caption Provided

This was the beginning stage of a skull I was planning on making as part of my Material & Lighting scene. Complications arose and I had to drop it.

And by complications, I mean it wouldn't close properly, the Walking Dead was on, and I had a headache.

This is the character I am working on for my Character Modeling class. Currently I am re-working stuff on the overall design because it apparently is too low-poly.

And this is the scene I currently have set up and dropped the skull for. Everything here is completely modeled by me, which explains a lot.