Skyknight colors from start to finish.

Om1kron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Om1kron

you guys may remember this from an old post. I decided to revisit with my cintiq. I was able to clean up the black and whites nice for a proper digital painting.  I originally tried to water color this, it looked horrible decided to digitally paint it. roommates dog ate the original.

luckily I still had the greyscale scan in a 4400x8800 600dpi raw psd file on my computer.   

No Caption Provided

cleaned it up blocked in the blacks

No Caption Provided

blocked in the reds really quick before bed. 

No Caption Provided

I'll post more progress as I go. I'm doing another project for someone else, so don't expect to see any future entries from me for a bit in the artist showoff's. 

-Wayne
I
IcePrince_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By IcePrince_X

can't wait for this to get completed... its a pity the original got eaten... literally!

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By tonis
@Om1kron: great progress so far man, what a sweet ass pic you did there. 
So dogs REALLY do that huh, I guess it's only funny when it's an excuse. Glad you didn't lose that :) 

By the way, you should start using png instead of JPG, see the mush in the red, you won't have that in a PNG. 
Coloring in photoshop (or any image editor for that matter), especially when you use shades and gradients and all that fun stuff does not work well with image compression at all. You'll get artifacts you won't like. 

EDIT: you know, now that I look at the photograph, are you sure your not just blaming the dog and YOU actually had the munchies :)
Om1kron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Om1kron

I 'm pretty sure it was the dog, I used some shitty water color kit from michaels arts and crafts instead of buying the good stuff and plus something about  recycled watercolor paper dogs really love. it's not the only one the little fucker ate. That's just the only one I caught them eating.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Decept-O

Incredible work.  Wow.  Reminiscent of some cybernetic girl pin-ups I had seen Adam Hughes draw for some early issues of Dark Horse Presents, and that is a compliment.  
Plenty of nice details everywhere, and I do mean everywhere.   I think the black and white is fantastic as is but if you will color it, look forward to seeing how it will turn out. 
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By tonis
@Om1kron said:
" I 'm pretty sure it was the dog, I used some shitty water color kit from michaels arts and crafts instead of buying the good stuff and plus something about  recycled watercolor paper dogs really love. it's not the only one the little fucker ate. That's just the only one I caught them eating. "
lol, it probably gives them a buzz :) 
Welp if nothing else, it's a great reminder to all to make a digital copy for preservation in case some canine needs a fix.
Om1kron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Om1kron

had a long day, had a chance to squeeze some more flats in. 

No Caption Provided
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By tonis
@Om1kron: now that is looking sharp and clean :) 
see how smooth those reds are now (almost looks vectored), this is gonna be one hell of an epic piece when you're done my friend.
Om1kron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Om1kron

some more progress, I'm dead tired. 

No Caption Provided
Om1kron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Om1kron

No Caption Provided
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By tonis
@Om1kron: awesome, I was wondering what you were gonna do with the background uniforms, was hard to see with it flat. Now I see the method to your madness :) 
They came out great with the lighting like that, now they both stand out and blend in to the picture as they should. Likewise with the crate. It's coming together. Looking forward to gooey oozeness you'll be doing to the right ground.
Om1kron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Om1kron

The flats are just a way for me to set a mood, other colorists use it as a tool to easily select area's to paint using the marquee tool. I just don't know what I'm doing yet.

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By tonis
@Om1kron said:

" The flats are just a way for me to set a mood, other colorists use it as a tool to easily select area's to paint using the marquee tool. I just don't know what I'm doing yet. "

oh your getting it at a lightning speed level across the board :) 
you and digital tools make a rock solid match. 

Know what you mean on the flats. I use special colored mats in the back to make it easy to see separation between blacks and whites all the time. 

One thing I'd suggest to help speed up making masks, especially with nicely inked work like this. 
First thing to do is take the base image layer, duplicate it twice, name one copy black and other white. 
Then under SELECT use COLOR RANGE and experiment with the fuzz till it properly matches your inks against a pure white selection. 
Hit ok and with the selection showing hit DEL, then click on the black copy layer and do SELECT / INVERSE and delete the whites. 
What you'll have for the less complicated areas of the picture, is a nice easy layer to reference with a magic wand that will typically pick up what your trying to mask. (the white copy) 
The black layer is basically the raw inks and is useful later after all the colors have stolen detail to put at the top and it pops things back to normal. 

If you follow that laundry approach of separating the whites and blacks I guarantee you'll spend almost 80 to 90% less times having to draw and plot masks. Still gotta get fancy though with some of them crazy spots, and you got a few in there with the windows and scenery. This technique won't help with those selections, but that ink layer will make sure it's as cool in the final :)
Om1kron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Om1kron

yeah there are many different ways to key out whites, one copy of line art is fine for me because I don't want to confuse myself even more. Less layers the better. 

For instance I had a flats layer for the right background which you see in the earlier pics is a pale yellow for the left, and a dark blue for the right. of course not realizing it I started to fill in colors on what I thought was the tree layer on my bg layer. And turns out the cyan/green I was laying down was on top of a dark blue to give the leafs their color. So I had to crop the leafs and banana's erase everything on the right bg flats layer and then merge the original "tree" layer with the bg layer hence why the dark blue is now missing. Don't need it, we'll work around that mishap.  

I have tons more work to do on the tree trunks but I think I'm pretty happy with the leaves and banana's this time around. I'll also edit the solid blacks on the original ink layer to allow me to run a gradient blue to soften that background and hopefully some how blend the left and right backgrounds together in a way that doesn't conflict color wise and such.  

No Caption Provided
Om1kron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Om1kron

worked a bit more on the background on the right side of the image tonight, added moon color, slight glow to it, stars slight glow. erased solid inks and made a blue gradient to black on the right background piece. All in all I think I'm happy with the progress so far, still lots to be done.

No Caption Provided
ARMIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ARMIV

It looks incredible, man.

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By tonis

yup, looking fantastic, left came out incredible and right is looking on path to same goal. 
I think you confused my advice with keying out colors, I wasn't suggesting it for that, I was suggesting it because it sounds like your making masks and selections to get your color areas and that separated white layer is essentially those selections your trying to make ready to magic wand when you prep it right. 

I agree, less layers is better, to some extent. This isn't a layer that sits out there visible with the rest, you tuck it in a folder called MASTERS and go to it for quick selecting :) 
It's just about time efficiency however selecting parts, produces same results as the long way so there's no wrong way to get the cat skinless.

Om1kron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Om1kron

haven't touched this one in a bit, just started going to the gym again, and getting my car ready for a trip up to northern california for a car show. If anyone is into that type of thing it's called wekfest. If you want to attend you can go to sfwekfest.com for more information. I am also into cars as well as drawing, video games, etc.  

Here is my other work of art which I have rebuilt from the ground up.  

read more about me if interested @ http://om1kron.blogspot.com
 read more about me if interested @ http://om1kron.blogspot.com

Well now that my excuses are out of the way, got a little work done on this.  

No Caption Provided

Darkened the tree trunks, added in the ocean water, will have to touch it up a bit more was just trying to figure a way to paint it using a reference photo of water under moonlight.  Once I'm done painting the main character then I'll worry about reflections and all that mess. The branches I am going to probably ditch that green at the edges as a highlight and make it like a bright white/blue or something, it's hard to describe but I want to make it seem it's like nighttime in the picture not a sunset. So I'm fighting myself not to go too dark and drag all of the focus to the right side of the image.  

Then the other hard thing is figuring out how I'm going to handle the white on the suit which is currently blue/grey. Going to be fun in two different environments. 
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By tonis
@Om1kron: sweet ride my friend, pimping aint ez but you can definitely do it :) 
Man is your piece developing into monumental, the water came out fantastic. From the effect you did on the wildcat pic to this that is a nifty fx trick you got in the tool belt. 
What I REALLY like now at this point in the coloring, is seeing the unique shading and lighting you did for each side and how they're separating the framing but at same time consolidating the mood. 
This one is a real treat to see.
EGoD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By EGoD  Moderator

Cool beans om1kron, you have a lot of detail going into the background, nice bananas lol.   Bad dog though, eating art, although I guess even the dog thought it was so good he/she ate it.
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By tonis
@EGoD said:
" Cool beans om1kron, you have a lot of detail going into the background, nice bananas lol.   Bad dog though, eating art, although I guess even the dog thought it was so good he/she ate it. "
hehe, the only thing worse is when they eat your stash :)
EGoD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By EGoD  Moderator
@tonis said:
" @EGoD said:
" Cool beans om1kron, you have a lot of detail going into the background, nice bananas lol.   Bad dog though, eating art, although I guess even the dog thought it was so good he/she ate it. "
hehe, the only thing worse is when they eat your stash :) "

Well the only stash my dogs would've ever ate would have been my coloured pencils, but I doubt that would've had the same effect.
sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By sora_thekey

I need an adjective that will describe this correctly... and since I can't find one I'll use this one for the time being: "Awesome!"

Om1kron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Om1kron

lol what a difference it makes after coloring those dull tones for the whites right? Still a long ways to go. I was experimenting with the visor and photoshops layer system. I got the desired effect of the highlights showing over the pencils but also ran into another snafu because of that.  

No Caption Provided

I also need to dull down those skin tones on the face to get the look I'm going for. pretty afraid to jump in there and shadow it as it's really hard to figure out what colors I should be using for skin tones.  

No Caption Provided
girlfriends face for reference. obviously using pictures of her intoxicated probably explain the redness in the drawing LOL 

tonites update 

No Caption Provided