• 81 results
gunjin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By gunjin
@M.S. Feather: what program did you use to color yours. i like how everything is really muted. and the indie feel. 
@IcePrince_X: i like the 90's lorna costume when considering it as a non-uniform style suit. i just don't suscribe to regular strength & fighting skill ladies not having equal amounts of armor as their male counterparts. 

edited: because it wouldn't let me post another.
gunjin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By gunjin
@M.S. Feather: hmm, how'd you get the grainier almost construction paper look? filters?
mimschkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#55  Edited By mimschkin
@M.S. Feather: What's this? You can set the scanner not to scan paper texture? How, pray tell, might one go about doing this? Seriously, paper texture is the bane of my life, sometimes I use selective gaussian blur to fix it a bit but that usually just makes stuff look blurry. I'm going to switch to hot press paper but that's more expensive and comes in smaller sizes so that's annoying.
mimschkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By mimschkin

Excuse the doublepost, thought this should get its own entry rather than being forwarded to poor M.S. Feather (do edits show up in inboxes?)

My entry, embiggen it here if you so wish. Might I add that Polaris is one of the few characters who has never had a semi-decent outfit. Geez, it wasn't which was my favourite outfit, it was which outfit is the least fugly.

No Caption Provided
Not that pleased with this one. The sentinel's point of view shot would've worked better if Polaris was smaller and I pretty much just added the smoke to fill the space. Next one will be better.
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#57  Edited By tonis

@mimschkin: nice work on the entry, great angle. :)

If your trying to minimize the amount of paper texture showing in your scans the way I would do it in a program like photoshop is

1) get as best of a balanced black to white scan as you can (if white is going to gray increase the scanners lamp brightness till it's closer to white)

2) in photoshop afterwards I'd go to IMAGE / ADJUSTMENTS / CURVES

In the LEVELS window you'll see settings for the 'Input Levels', there will be three little sliders to represent Black / Gray / White

Move the Black and White accordingly to get 'true' blacks and whites, and then use the gray to adjust until you see any paper texture disappear.

If you can't completely level out the textures there, the next thing I'd do is go to IMAGE / ADJUSTMENTS / CURVES

There you'll see a graph that represents a line from black to white. Grab the white at the top and experiment with moving it around the graph till you see the remaining texture disappear.

The last thing I'd try, and I tend to avoid because it's 'noisy' is adjust the BRIGHTNESS / CONTRAST. That might work for a slight paper pattern, but if it's a strong texture that can also make it look worse.

If your using something other than photoshop, chances are you'll have a feature in there with the same function. Just look for CURVES and LEVELS under your menu options and start experimenting with them. You'll find them essential for this kind of cleaning.

mimschkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By mimschkin
@tonis: Thanks for all that tonis, I use GIMP which does indeed have Levels and Curves, I'll make sure to follow your instructions next time I scan.
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By tonis

@mimschkin said:

@tonis: Thanks for all that tonis, I use GIMP which does indeed have Levels and Curves, I'll make sure to follow your instructions next time I scan.

yea I figure GIMP wouldn't ignore those two features, they're just so useful for fixing scans.

The more you experiment with them the easier and quicker you'll make ultra clean scans, but always remember it's best to calibrate at the scanner level first.

The golden rule is 'garbage in / garbage out' so you want the cleanest scan you can get before you go the digital cleanup route. Don't just fix 'dark scans' with levels and curves, start with the scanners brightness settings first. Lamps get 'cold' as they get old, so it doesn't hurt to 'push' them a little more over time to get the whites.

mimschkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By mimschkin
@tonis: Yeah, I figured out pretty quickly that the better the scan, the better the finished product. Oddly, if I scan at 300dpi, it comes out looking REALLY grainy and pretty much useless. The highest my scanner can go is 600 so I always use that now. Takes 3 times as long to scan though.
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By tonis

@mimschkin said:

@tonis: Yeah, I figured out pretty quickly that the better the scan, the better the finished product. Oddly, if I scan at 300dpi, it comes out looking REALLY grainy and pretty much useless. The highest my scanner can go is 600 so I always use that now. Takes 3 times as long to scan though.

it is good practice to 'overscan' an image to something like 600dpi to get the resolution for making prints, but for anything that is just gonna be used on computer screens afterwards you can make a copy and downsample it to 72dpi. That'll give you a smaller more manageable file for online that should still look pretty much the same on the screen and at 100% it's size. If you're gonna color or do work though, do it at the high res to maintain quality first, then make a smaller copy when your done.

gunjin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By gunjin
@mimschkin: nice.
mimschkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By mimschkin
@tonis: Yup, I always bump the dpi down to 300 after I'm done but now you mention it, I really don't even need it to be that high seeing as it's only going on the internet.
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By tonis

@mimschkin said:

@tonis: Yup, I always bump the dpi down to 300 after I'm done but now you mention it, I really don't even need it to be that high seeing as it's only going on the internet.

yea, for screen viewing online there's not a lot of reason to deal with those big ass files :)

ok, whipped up a quick Polaris playing with a Sentinels head. Went nuts with photoshop and added some power special fx.

Polaris
Polaris
xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#65  Edited By xerox_kitty

This is going to be a tough contest to vote on... So many great entries, how will I be able to only pick one?!

mimschkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By mimschkin
@tonis: I was a bit baffled when I did mine over whether Polaris' powers were actually consistently portrayed as green zaps but from yours I can tell there is no such thing as too much green zaps :D

@M.S. Feather: Thank you :)
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By tonis

@mimschkin said:

@tonis: I was a bit baffled when I did mine over whether Polaris' powers were actually consistently portrayed as green zaps but from yours I can tell there is no such thing as too much green zaps :D

@M.S. Feather: Thank you :)

hahaha, yea I didn't know how her powers should look either so I figured when in doubt, go nuts :D

I really wanted to make it look like she was tearing his face apart but that was a lil tougher than getting the zaps in.

IcePrince_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By IcePrince_X

yup she looks great like the other master works you do Tonis! 
The magnetic effects really work!

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#70  Edited By sora_thekey

Oh my! There has been so many great entries so far and there are still a weekto enter. I actually started on my but after taking a look at some of these I realized I better up my game, so I am starting all over again. (That's right boys and girls, Geo is back to posting drawings... soon)

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#71  Edited By Decept-O

@tonis: You really get the magnetic FX feel on this one. Nice job,man.

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By tonis

@Decept-O said:

@tonis: You really get the magnetic FX feel on this one. Nice job,man.

thanks, wasn't sure what her powers actually looked like but I figured green was the theme :)

maxicere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#73  Edited By maxicere

Here my Polaris. I do with polygonal lasso tool in Photoshop. Click this link to see in best resolution: LINK 

No Caption Provided
gunjin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By gunjin
@maxicere said:
Here my Polaris. I do with polygonal lasso tool in Photoshop. Click this link to see in best resolution: LINK 

No Caption Provided
that is awesome. i strive for clean lines and you did it awesome here. also the angular poster style. yea.
EGoD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#76  Edited By EGoD  Moderator

I didn't know if I'd get this done in time but here's my entry.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Decept-O

@maxicere: I like that quite a bit, nice style. @EGoD: Hilarious.

Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#78  Edited By Calvin
payno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By payno
@Calvin: Thanks.
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By tonis

@maxicere: very nice, that technique looks great. Very smooth and clean. :)

@EGoD: hahaha, BUT OF COURSE, BENDER! Absolutely killer choice. Considering how he acts around magnets he's gotta be tripping balls with her :D

EGoD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By EGoD  Moderator
@M.S. Feather
@Decept-O: 
Yeah I decided to go for funny this time.  It was the first thing that popped in my head when I read the competition.

@tonis
:  

lol yes Bender would be going big time folk singer with her around.
sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By sora_thekey

@EGoD: Gah! I love it! Especially because it's bender!

EGoD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By EGoD  Moderator
@sora_thekey
Thanks, lol, yeah being a huge Futurama fan I couldn't resist!
sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By sora_thekey

Okay... I have good news and bad news.

The good news is, I have finished my entry for the contest. (Even included a robot that follows the same theme that EGoD's Bender drawing and M.S. Feather's C-3PO drawing follow)

The bad news is, I have no way to post it. My scanner is not working and I have another scanner which is not installed to my computer and I have no way to install it. (and here I was excited I was finally going to psot something!)

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By sora_thekey

@M.S. Feather: No... but I'm going to be with Tom Pinchuk, Inferiorego and all those guys this week so I might use one of theirs to post it. !!

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By sora_thekey

@M.S. Feather: lol! I will! n_n

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By sora_thekey

I got a camera! I'll post my entry tonight (I'm busy at SDCC right now!)

EGoD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By EGoD  Moderator
@sora_thekey said:

I got a camera! I'll post my entry tonight (I'm busy at SDCC right now!)

Whoa man, deja vue! lol

@sora_thekey said:

Okay... I have good news and bad news.

The good news is, I have finished my entry for the contest. (Even included a robot that follows the same theme that EGoD's Bender drawing and M.S. Feather's C-3PO drawing follow)

The bad news is, I have no way to post it. My scanner is not working and I have another scanner which is not installed to my computer and I have no way to install it. (and here I was excited I was finally going to psot something!)

Hmmm, me's thinks it's got to be a Disney robot....Wall-E perhaps? its the only robot I can think of right now lol.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Decept-O

July 23rd is almost over with according to my Time Zone. Perhaps MJohnson got the dates mixed up or got too busy to post the Voting Thread? Maybe a Moderator can start the Voting Thread for this contest?

spawndon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#93  Edited By spawndon
@shatterstar: please start a voting thread.
Avatar image for deactivated-64fa9d029dbb3
deactivated-64fa9d029dbb3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry guys, RL got in the way.  I'll be posting the voting thread soon.