• 116 results
#51 Posted by Aronmorales (9434 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm going to make a better version of what I've got so far; I really like how it came out though.

#52 Posted by Decept-O (7279 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024: Nice work! For any images, you can check this out: Commando Yank. If you see in the heading of this contest, I posted Turok's link to Public Domain Characters.

Glad you joined in, its looking good.

#53 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024 said: 
 Who is the American themed hero on the top? I want to redesign him, but I can't find his page
That is Harvey Comics Captain Freedom
#54 Posted by Decept-O (7279 posts) - - Show Bio

@turoksonofstone: Sheesh, I got it all wrong! However, still rather similar as far as Patriotic American characters are concerned. Gambit did a great job. Sorry, Turok and Gambit for giving the wrong info! *facepalm*

#55 Posted by Decept-O (7279 posts) - - Show Bio

Hoping we get more artists to submit work for the contest. Also hoping Comic Viners check this out when it goes to voting and to join in for a chance to get chosen for a turn to decide the next contest!

#56 Posted by ARMIV2 (8590 posts) - - Show Bio

10 days left, eh? 

Hmmm...lemme see if I can do something for this...

#57 Posted by ARMIV2 (8590 posts) - - Show Bio

Alright, my design is done. Now to get him scanned up.

#58 Posted by Sky_Jokiel (304 posts) - - Show Bio
@ARMIV2: 10 days to work with and you pulled it off in an hour that's commitment lol
#59 Posted by ARMIV2 (8590 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sky_Jokiel said:
@ARMIV2: 10 days to work with and you pulled it off in an hour that's commitment lol
Heh-heh!
#60 Posted by Sky_Jokiel (304 posts) - - Show Bio

When my buddy Frank here goes to the store there aren't many shirts that are his size... lol... Everyone loves those shirts that make you look like a girl why cant giant monsters... They have feelings too you know... Anywho this is my submission for now and don't know if i'm gonna have time to add a background or anything... I have exams till Monday so maybe after if I get some time...  Hopefully he makes you laugh like he makes me laugh.

Please click  on the picture to view it... It looks better that way :D

#61 Posted by Decept-O (7279 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sky_Jokiel: That is indeed hilarious and nice comedic relief! Great way to use the Public Domain character of Frankenstein's monster! Nice job, and nice work on the coloring and concept in general. I think you stepped it up with this submission and it shows.

#62 Posted by tonis (6202 posts) - - Show Bio

shuffled around a lot of characters and ideas on this one, there's so much potential out there in the PD.

I went with one of the earliest female characters out there and inspiration for Hellcat (who I've always loved)

Miss Fury

She's like taking Batman and Catwoman and smashing them together, which is probably no coincidence that she was created a year after Catwoman in 1941.

Miss Fury
#63 Posted by Decept-O (7279 posts) - - Show Bio

@tonis: This is very nice. I love the character choice to begin with and I love the colors here. I also echo your sentiments about the original Hellcat, I love that costume on her. Nice work.

#64 Posted by SteveRodgers (728 posts) - - Show Bio
@tonis: very nice, i like the dark background.
#65 Posted by ARMIV2 (8590 posts) - - Show Bio
#66 Posted by SteveRodgers (728 posts) - - Show Bio
@ARMIV2: nice, it's very modern
#67 Posted by Decept-O (7279 posts) - - Show Bio

@ARMIV2: Awesome choice, nice work!

#68 Posted by ARMIV2 (8590 posts) - - Show Bio
@SteveRodgers said:
@ARMIV2: nice, it's very modern
Thanks, glad ya think so. 

@Decept-O said:

@ARMIV2: Awesome choice, nice work!

Thank you and thank you!
#69 Posted by FrischDVH (610 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024
Hey sorry that I didn't see this in time, That patriotic hero is Captain Freedom.
#70 Posted by Decept-O (7279 posts) - - Show Bio

@FrischDVH: I hope you have time to enter this!

#71 Posted by KEROGA (1002 posts) - - Show Bio
#72 Posted by SteveRodgers (728 posts) - - Show Bio
@KEROGA: that is Daredevil if I'm not mistaken, either way nice job
#73 Edited by Aronmorales (9434 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay, here's mine; The "Blue Lady".  

Here's the original Blue Lady, whereas mine takes a completely different approach. 
MY Blue Lady was originally a cop working San Francisco's Chinatown when she came into contact with the Blue Ring after it had been stolen from an antique store. On pursuit of the vandals, the Ring fell from their grasp and shattered on the street floor in front of her, granting her the power once contained inside; super strength and mastery of the Chinese martial arts that once belonged to a great warrior of yore. In a flash, she found herself garbed in this strange armor, just in time to defend herself against the same vandals who now had worked up a nerve to attack an officer. This was the first of many adventures of  

Blue
 Lady
"Lan Furen" (as I believe it'd be pronounced), The Blue Lady.
Name:  Emilia Moore.      
#74 Posted by Decept-O (7279 posts) - - Show Bio

@Aronmorales: I like the origin story you created here and I like the design as well. Glad you did enter, its a great design on the Blue Lady. I was thinking about this character as well but am glad I didn't, because this one blows anything I had imagined away. Nice work.

#75 Posted by Aronmorales (9434 posts) - - Show Bio
@Decept-O: Duaww, shucks, you're making me blush!
#76 Posted by Decept-O (7279 posts) - - Show Bio

Still a few days left for this one, and I hope we get some more awesome submissions!

#77 Posted by maxicere (936 posts) - - Show Bio
#78 Posted by Decept-O (7279 posts) - - Show Bio

@maxicere: An excellent choice, Maxi and I hope you are able to post it soon.

#79 Edited by maxicere (936 posts) - - Show Bio

Here my version of Black Terror. I think that I have sinned because the original costume is really amazing and don't need changes. So I didn't made big changes.

To see in best resolution, click HERE.

#80 Posted by tonis (6202 posts) - - Show Bio

@maxicere: awesome choice and job. There's no need to make changes when it's all good :)

Here's the scoop with images and how they look in posts versus elsewhere.

There are two things working against you

1) using JPG - it uses compression and even though your original may have used MAX settings it's recompressed in the posted images to save space by the site. If you value the look of your art you'll only use PNG on artwork images which doesn't allow that. That's better suited and closer to the representation you see on your own screen.

2) all images in posts on Comic Vine have a 600 pixel limitation. So resizing is a GIVEN and something you have to think about when you look at something you like on a BIG screen and want that same effect for the viewer shrunk down. It really complicates landscapes more than verticles so your best best is almost always think verticle (if it fits your vision)

Basically you'll see a lot more 'pixalization' with something designed to be wide vs something tall as there's more to resize with that 600 pix limit.

#81 Posted by maxicere (936 posts) - - Show Bio
@tonis: Thanks and thanks and thanks!!!! Now my pic looks different!!
#82 Posted by tonis (6202 posts) - - Show Bio

@maxicere said:

@tonis: Thanks and thanks and thanks!!!! Now my pic looks different!!

yea, that's much more sharper than the previous image and the red's don't have that 'mucky' look. (Seems JPG just mutilates red more than anything else)

#83 Posted by ARMIV2 (8590 posts) - - Show Bio
@maxicere said:
Here my version of Black Terror. I think that I have sinned because the original costume is really amazing and don't need changes. So I didn't made big changes.

To see in best resolution, click HERE.

Dude, this is freaking sick!
#84 Posted by Decept-O (7279 posts) - - Show Bio

@maxicere: That is beyond awesome. I love it, man, fantastic take. Was hoping for a Black Terror rendition by someone and you delivered! Great work and am glad you entered this!

#85 Posted by maxicere (936 posts) - - Show Bio
@ARMIV2: Thanks!
@Decept-O: Thanks my friend!
#86 Posted by jennifermontes (47 posts) - - Show Bio

When Decept-O told me that there was going to be a public domain characters contest, I jumped at the chance because I always wanted to do a nicely rendered painting of The Invisible Man. I've had the sketch for a while, but I never sat down to actually paint the thing until now. So kudos to you guys for getting me off my lazy butt!! I painted this with gouache and the original size is 11" x 14".

My version of the Invisible Man resembles the one described by H.G. Wells in his novella pretty closely. He just arrived to his room at the inn and he's taking off all the stuff he uses to make people think that he's normal. In the background you can see some books and bottles with chemicals scattered around, because he's still desperate to find a 'cure' for his invisibility.

#87 Posted by M.S. Feather (1514 posts) - - Show Bio
@jennifermontes: This has to be one of the greatest pieces of work I have ever seen posted here.  I mean that sincerely.
#88 Posted by jennifermontes (47 posts) - - Show Bio
@M.S. Feather: Wow. I'm incredibly flattered. Thank you!
#89 Posted by Decept-O (7279 posts) - - Show Bio

@jennifermontes: That is beautiful to say the very least. Wow. How long did it take you to paint? That is one of the more splendid pieces of art I've seen on Comic Vine.

#90 Posted by jennifermontes (47 posts) - - Show Bio
@Decept-O: Thank you!! I started doing the big drawing that would be used for the painting on Saturday, and then I about 4 - 5 hours a day on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday. In total it was about 20 hours of work.
#91 Posted by Decept-O (7279 posts) - - Show Bio

@jennifermontes: I see, and the effort shows. Its incredible. Did you use Acrylic paper or gesso board? I ask because I have paints and several papers and boards and am wanting to paint in the near future and could use suggestions. I've done oils but not acrylics. Again, your painting is simply beautiful.

#92 Posted by jennifermontes (47 posts) - - Show Bio

This was actually gouache, not acrylic. It's a water-based paint that's similar to watercolor, but you can paint opaquely instead of transparently. This particular painting is on illustration board. Normally, just watercolor paper is fine for gouache, but my paint layers are pretty thick so they tend to warp paper. 

Acrylics tend to have similar issues and your mileage will vary depending on how you paint. If you paint thinly and with transparent washes, just paper should be fine. But thicker paint warrants a stiffer ground.

#93 Posted by Decept-O (7279 posts) - - Show Bio

@jennifermontes: My mistake after I commented I noticed you said you painted with gouache but figured you'd provide some tips. Watercolor is a hard medium to master, can't say I've tried gouache. Awesome, I do have some illustration board. However I have oils and acrylics. What you are saying in terms of the acrylics are what I've read but not tried. I've used Acrylic PAPER but not the paints YET! I've used the paper for some brush marker work which surprisingly came out how I intended. My rambling aside I will keep that in mind. Again, a beautiful job!

#94 Posted by tonis (6202 posts) - - Show Bio

@jennifermontes: such beautiful work and attention to details. You have an instant fan here ;)

#95 Posted by Aronmorales (9434 posts) - - Show Bio
@jennifermontes said:
When Decept-O told me that there was going to be a public domain characters contest, I jumped at the chance because I always wanted to do a nicely rendered painting of The Invisible Man. I've had the sketch for a while, but I never sat down to actually paint the thing until now. So kudos to you guys for getting me off my lazy butt!! I painted this with gouache and the original size is 11" x 14".

My version of the Invisible Man resembles the one described by H.G. Wells in his novella pretty closely. He just arrived to his room at the inn and he's taking off all the stuff he uses to make people think that he's normal. In the background you can see some books and bottles with chemicals scattered around, because he's still desperate to find a 'cure' for his invisibility.

...Yeeeeah, I've got no chance of winning this; you're WAAAAY too good.
#96 Posted by Decept-O (7279 posts) - - Show Bio

@Aronmorales: I think the same thing but also, keep in mind we are just amateurs and are still working on our art. I get competitive I admit but these contests, as many artists often state, are about showing off our efforts. Don't think your efforts don't get noticed, man, they do. Keep working at it; just like anything else in life, practice makes perfect.

#97 Posted by jennifermontes (47 posts) - - Show Bio
@tonis: Thank you!!
@Aronmorales: Thanks for the compliment BUT I disagree with you :) These challenges are about encouraging each other to make stuff. If you make something, the goal has been met. 

As for winning, there's much more to it than technique. This took me forever to paint, but maybe someone else comes along with a cooler idea, a more interesting pose, or something else that catches people's eyes. It used to be that magazines were filled with illustrations like this, but now you won't find them anywhere. People go for trendier styles now... It's all a matter of taste :)
#98 Posted by maxicere (936 posts) - - Show Bio
@jennifermontes: Excellent work!! I love the Victorian style. Congrats!!
#99 Posted by Aronmorales (9434 posts) - - Show Bio
@Decept-O: @jennifermontes: Wow, your words, the both of you, have uplifted my spirits and my confidence in my abilities...
Thank you.
#100 Posted by gunjin (716 posts) - - Show Bio
@jennifermontes@maxicere:  

two very different styles. both very cool. i am inclined to modernism with almost everything so i like maxis a lot. besides your colors work really well. but im still a fan of the classics when it comes to painting. nice oil look ms montes.