Rediscovering ink washes

rocketpig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By rocketpig

I was flipping through some forum posts and noticed that several artists are working in an ink wash style again. It drew my attention and I realized that I haven't tried an ink wash in almost (gulp) 20 years. So I drove off to the art store, picked up more superfluous supplies I didn't really need, and decided to give it a whirl. I did a five minute Batman on a half sheet of paper , hated what I saw, and then decided to go ahead and try a "real" piece anyway.

My first attempt was Kitty & Lockheed. Kitty looks too masculine but I like how Lockheed turned out. I drew in pencil and then finished with inks and wash using a brush. My second attempt was a manga-style Leia. I haven't drawn in this style in years but it came back to me rather quickly. Overall, I enjoy it. I finished Kitty in about 90 minutes and Leia in just over an hour. Not a lot of time spent on either piece. Leia was penciled and then washed with a brush, no real inking done. I'm trying out different things to see what I like best. I think I prefer inking the piece instead of letting the pencils show through the wash.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#1  Edited By xerox_kitty

I think you're a little too severe on your own Kitty... but I love the way Leia looks :)

rocketpig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By rocketpig

Thanks! I ended up enjoying the Leia a lot more than I expected. Now I need to decide what to do next...

Precise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Precise

Awesome! =)

Well as long as you're doing Star Wars anyway, Chewbacca? :p

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Decept-O

@rocketpig: It is always fun to try new approaches to artwork when you can. Nice job on these. Just to add I understand about buying more supplies than necessary!

rocketpig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By rocketpig

Oooh, good idea. Chewbacca would be awesome.

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By tonis

I like em both, and the fact that your revisiting techniques of the past with all that you've learned since. That's a great idea every artist should consider at times.

Great work and I second the wookie consideration nomination :)