Public Domain Redesign Contest #3

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ARMIV2

Now, who's an interesting character to have our many talented resident artists redesign? Hmm...Alot of interesting characters to choose from, but I've decided upon using...

The Phantom Lady (who appears to have switched publishers more than once).

Now owned by DC, she's gone through a few costume changes, but none by the hands of Comicvine's amazing artists. Her powers include invisibility and she's packing a ray-gun.

EDIT: New Deadline by...November 22nd by 12:00 pm. Still time for last minute entries.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Decept-O

@ARMIV2: Ah, yes...Phantom Lady. The thing with Phantom Lady is this; certain of her earlier appearances and comic books are considered Public Domain while later ones, as claimed by DC aren't. So this still qualifies as Public Domain. Similar issue with some other characters which DC has claimed but Phantom Lady is the one that stands out and is often talked about on PD boards.

My rambling and pointless trivia aside, an excellent choice!

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ARMIV2

@Decept-O said:

@ARMIV2: Ah, yes...Phantom Lady. The thing with Phantom Lady is this; certain of her earlier appearances and comic books are considered Public Domain while later ones, as claimed by DC aren't. So this still qualifies as Public Domain. Similar issue with some other characters which DC has claimed but Phantom Lady is the one that stands out and is often talked about on PD boards.

My rambling and pointless trivia aside, an excellent choice!

Heh-heh, thanks. Rather informative.

KEROGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By KEROGA

niiice rack,lol

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ARMIV2

@KEROGA: She certainly is well endowed, ain't she?

Blizaga101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Blizaga101

got my design all thought out cant wait to see all the other entries

KEROGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By KEROGA
not much of a redesign, gave her a
not much of a redesign, gave her a "P" shaped top , splited cape, and different gloves,=)
ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ARMIV2

@KEROGA said:

not much of a redesign, gave her a
not much of a redesign, gave her a "P" shaped top , splited cape, and different gloves,=)

Lookin' good, man!

PikminMania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By PikminMania

@KEROGA: It would seem your "nice rack" comment is shown in your redesign picture quite well. Awesome drawing!

Avatar image for metropoliskid41
MetropolisKid41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By MetropolisKid41

That's awesome!!!!

KEROGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By KEROGA

Blizaga101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By Blizaga101
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Decept-O

@Blizaga101: Sweet.

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ARMIV2

@Blizaga101 said:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Really diggin' this one, man!

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By tonis

great choice ARMIV, always dug the Phantom Lady's look :)

Phantom Lady
Phantom Lady
Raven0207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By Raven0207

Hot damn ! Nice Tonis!

payno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By payno
No Caption Provided
ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ARMIV2

@payno said:

No Caption Provided

Ooh...

chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By chalkshark

Is the deadline for this contest midnight, tonight, or 11:59 p.m. tomorrow night? I'm off work tomorrow &, astonishingly, have no other obligations, so I could probably get something posted tomorrow afternoon/evening. If, however, the deadline is tonight, then... never mind. I'm afraid I work way too slowly to get anything worthwhile done in 7 hours. There's always next time.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Decept-O

@payno: Absolutely beautiful. Nice job. @chalkshark: I wish definitive times would be put forth in the contests, as your question demonstrates why. Not harping on ARMIV by any means but it would be helpful if winning artists would at least try to set a time for the deadlines. Wished I could answer your question. Perhaps if you don't get this one you will enter the next one as you say. It'd be great to see your art.

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#21  Edited By turoksonofstone

Whoa. Great Stuff!!!

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ARMIV2

@Decept-O said:

@payno: Absolutely beautiful. Nice job. @chalkshark: I wish definitive times would be put forth in the contests, as your question demonstrates why. Not harping on ARMIV by any means but it would be helpful if winning artists would at least try to set a time for the deadlines. Wished I could answer your question. Perhaps if you don't get this one you will enter the next one as you say. It'd be great to see your art.

That is a really good question. I was figuring that a good official deadline would be 12:00 pm.

Sorry about not setting a time-frame, folks.

That was my bad.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Decept-O

@ARMIV2: How dare you fail in this regard! Bwa Ha Ha! Just busting your chops. Thanks for letting peeps know, and this was a great contest idea.

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ARMIV2

@Decept-O said:

@ARMIV2: How dare you fail in this regard! Bwa Ha Ha! Just busting your chops. Thanks for letting peeps know, and this was a great contest idea.

Heh-heh!

payno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By payno

@Decept-O: Thanks. Glad you like it.

chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By chalkshark
 Okay... better late than never. Took me all day to render this. Would have liked to put in a background, but the day's starting to wear on me. Bit of a departure from her traditional garb. Wanted to get away from the lemon-lime color scheme. In my opinion, there aren't enough characters in white costumes. Tried to maintain a 1940's sensibility with the design. Although, the more I look at it, the more it seems 60's mod to me. I felt her traditional costume was rather... impractical, but still wanted to keep the sexy element to the visual. To that end, I gave her a more voluptuous figure, which is actually more of a 50's standard. If there's one thing I've learned from Black Canary & Zatanna, it's that you can never go wrong with fishnets. Wrestled with the hair style. Considered both Rita Hayworth's & Veronica Lake's, before settling for a more modern cut. The skull broach holding her cape in place, was a nod to the Phantom's famous skull ring. Played around with the skirt design, as well. Considered a visually more interesting pleated style, & also a slinkier, hip-hugging number, before going with the one illustrated. I like the bell shape silhouette it provides, & also it seems more practical in terms of movement. Wish my schedule allowed me to participate more often in these contests.  Hope everyone enjoys this entry. I had fun doing it.
 Okay... better late than never. Took me all day to render this. Would have liked to put in a background, but the day's starting to wear on me. Bit of a departure from her traditional garb. Wanted to get away from the lemon-lime color scheme. In my opinion, there aren't enough characters in white costumes. Tried to maintain a 1940's sensibility with the design. Although, the more I look at it, the more it seems 60's mod to me. I felt her traditional costume was rather... impractical, but still wanted to keep the sexy element to the visual. To that end, I gave her a more voluptuous figure, which is actually more of a 50's standard. If there's one thing I've learned from Black Canary & Zatanna, it's that you can never go wrong with fishnets. Wrestled with the hair style. Considered both Rita Hayworth's & Veronica Lake's, before settling for a more modern cut. The skull broach holding her cape in place, was a nod to the Phantom's famous skull ring. Played around with the skirt design, as well. Considered a visually more interesting pleated style, & also a slinkier, hip-hugging number, before going with the one illustrated. I like the bell shape silhouette it provides, & also it seems more practical in terms of movement. Wish my schedule allowed me to participate more often in these contests.  Hope everyone enjoys this entry. I had fun doing it.
Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Decept-O

@chalkshark: Very nice, great take on Phantom Lady by giving her a truly voluptuous form and the retro Mod costume.

chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By chalkshark
@Decept-O: Thanks. That's very kind of you to say. Glad I could participate this time.
ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ARMIV2

Well, I think it's now time for the voting to begin, seeing as how it is the 23rd.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ssejllenrad

The entries make me happy... If y'all know what I mean... :D

chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By chalkshark

Heading out of town, for the holiday, so I'll get my vote in early....& It's for.... payno! Always quality work.

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ARMIV2

@ssejllenrad said:

The entries make me happy... If y'all know what I mean... :D

Oh, I think I know what you mean...

Actually I don't...so...yeah...