Page two finished, getting more comfortable

rocketpig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By rocketpig

I'm pretty happy with this page. The rendering is pretty good, though the buildings in the background could use some work. Also ,the bottom left panel is a little "meh" but my *&^%ing hand was cramping so badly by that point (I inked this piece in one marathon session) that I guess it shouldn't be a surprise.

Overall, color pretty good but I need to back off using quite so many halos around objects. Also, a more muted palette would probably have worked better in the background. Still, I'm definitely digging this new inking style and coloring style. I think it looks a lot more polished.

As always, you can find it all at http://variables.selfcentent.com/.

No Caption Provided
Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Decept-O

@rocketpig: I don't see anything wrong with the halos by any means. This looks great. A fantastic job and I think you're being a bit hard on yourself, this looks well done.

Avatar image for metropoliskid41
MetropolisKid41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By MetropolisKid41

Very awesome! Great detail!

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4  Edited By AgeofHurricane

Whoa.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By InnerVenom123

Good stuff dude!

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

#6  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

very cool! Well done!

rocketpig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By rocketpig

@M.S. Feather said:

I love how his foot is resting leisurely on the second panel. :D That background is amazing too! *applauds*

Thanks! You may not notice but him standing is actually a "different" panel from the background. They're not meant to be anything more than "relation" panels. The background is just an establishing shot of the Athens skyline while Karter is actually standing on both panels with no perspective tie to the background itself. While they look like one panel, they're kinda not. I've been playing around with layouts for awhile now and I'm getting a little more adventurous. The next page is completely silent and has all sorts of crazy layout stuff going on. I hope it works. :P

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! I'm happy with the new direction the comic is going and I hope you all like it.

rocketpig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By rocketpig

Heh. It's one of those "if you notice it, great, if not, okay too" things. It kinda works either way, which is why I really enjoyed the little play on sequential art and taking the character out of the environment. It doesn't impede the actual story at all, just a funny little thing I tossed in there.

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By tonis

@rocketpig: this is looking great, I especially like the transition from the color to the b&w for the flashbacking :)

rocketpig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By rocketpig

@tonis:

Thanks! I wasn't really sold on how to transfer to the flashback scene and decided to go with the old standby method of removing color. :D

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By sora_thekey

I agree with @M.S. Feather: the background is amazing!!!

rocketpig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By rocketpig

Thanks, Sora. Glad you guys like the background. It was quite a bit of work to lay it out and color it.

It looks like even EmptyTomb likes the page. I got an email saying "you can barely draw", which is a huge upgrade from his last email, which stated "you can't draw for shit".

I'm moving up in the world, folks!

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ARMIV2

I'm liking this! Great job, man!