Page two finished...

rocketpig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By rocketpig

I'm getting pretty good at meeting this one page a week thing. Here's to hoping that I can continue it through all 20 pages of this initial installment of Variables. I busted my ass yesterday and nearly finished page three, which means I have a one page buffer worked out. By the end of this week I'd love to increase that but after how much I had to cram to build up extra content this week, I think it's unlikely that I will be able to do it. 

The great thing is that now, I get to switch scenes and draw two new characters. Which also means new establishing shots... ugh. 

One thing I know about next issue is that I'm going to try to fit in a few 2-3 panel pages, that's for sure. Page three is an eight paneler and it took me forever to color and draw. Anyway, here's the page. If you want to check the page in all its glory with words and everything, you can see it here:  

No Caption Provided
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By tonis
@rocketpig: know what you mean about the monster panel pages, can turn things into twice the work or more. It does get faster as it develops though and you weed out the obstacles that take the most time. 
Looking great, really can't wait to see the whole thing in all it's glory. The panel designs your doing and layout is really making it all look very unique and impressive.
rocketpig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By rocketpig

I already started trimming panels. I penciled page four today and saw I laid about another 8 paneler for myself and trimmed it to seven. The first issue is just full of 6-9 panel pages... I've worked myself into a bit of a corner. It will all work out but it adds to the drawing time quite a bit. 

Thanks, glad you like the layouts. Pages three and four are less interesting visually because there's a lot of dialogue. I haven't looked at the script for pages 5-8 lately but I have the feeling that they'll be the same way. Honestly, just not a lot happens in the first issue of the book until page 12 or so. Too much exposition to kick-start two simultaneous storylines to do it any other way. 

Thanks for following the book. I've been really immersing myself into the webcomics world over the past several months and there just isn't anything like this around that I've found. There are loads of gag-a-day, manga-style, fantasy, and alternative comics (meaning they don't fit into a traditional print category) but nothing that really tackles the American superhero genre and style. It's kind of bewildering but I guess a lot of artists think print is the only option for "success", which is pretty stupid in 2011 when webcomics are total DIY projects and the print industry is either struggling or dying, depending on your point of view.

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By tonis
@rocketpig: couldn't agree more about the current state of web comics, although I do see a change on the horizons. You will be one of the pioneers there my friend ;) 

You know as I've been working on this project with Sha and doing actual panel layouts I've come to find the pages with all the dialogue to be like mini vacations where I get to catch my breath before the next monster page. It is a real challenge to get all the story your trying to get in there and at the same balance it with the visuals in such a way that neither is 'too much'. You're doing a real good job at keeping it flowing visually, and I'm sure when more words come in they'll work well with their surroundings in telling the story at a decent pace.
rocketpig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By rocketpig

Are you posting the pages to a webcomic, Tonis? Or are you compiling them all for a book run or eBook? Any place I can take a look?

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By tonis
@rocketpig said:
" Are you posting the pages to a webcomic, Tonis? Or are you compiling them all for a book run or eBook? Any place I can take a look? "
so far I'm just working on it with Sha and posting them here on vine. Gonna get through the origin and set things up and then see whatever options are available to get it out there after. 
I kind of like it being just a vine exclusive right now, this is where I rediscovered my comic mojo and it makes sense that it be birthed here :)
rocketpig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By rocketpig

Very cool. What is your schedule? A page a week or are you managing to do more than that? 

I'm a little stressed right now. Next week is pro registration for SDCC but I fear that my site may be too new to gain entrance. I'm hoping that the complete lack of superhero-ish webcomics will work to my advantage (plus, I feel my site is more polished and looks more professional than most other webcomics you see around). When registration opens, I'll have 8 short story pages and 4 main comic pages finished. It's hard to believe that I've been actually drawing a page a week for nearly three months already.

Plus, my site is not getting much in the way of traffic right now. I knew it would be slow going for six months or so but it's still kind of frustrating. Next month, I start an advertising schedule through Adwords, Facebook, Project Wonderful, and a webcomic site that should help quite a bit. The entire advertising plan runs through the beginning of summer and will only run me about $100 overall thanks to coupons and other benefits. 

Puttin' those five years of marketing experience to use for my comic. :D

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By tonis
@rocketpig: hehe, at the moment the only schedule I seem to follow is that if I'm up, somethings getting done :) 
Don't let it stress you too much, it would be way cool with the SDCC but it won't be a make or break deal with your material. The ad schedule will be helpful for traffic, and at $100 that's REALLY cheap for going through those sites. 

I'm averaging about a page every two days, depending on what's going on in them. There are times I feel like just staying up until I finish the whole issue but I'd probably kill myself trying. I'm starting to understand the meaning of patience :)
rocketpig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By rocketpig
@tonis said:
" @rocketpig:. I'm starting to understand the meaning of patience :) "
Yep, you need to quickly learn that just because you finished the page, it doesn't mean you should immediately post it. 

Without a schedule, I'd burn out very quickly. If I was you, I'd set up a reasonable schedule and stick to it. If you finish something beforehand, great. Keep it stored up and post it on schedule while continuing to get ahead because after awhile, you WILL want to take a break and recharge your batteries.