New Contest Idea!

Crazy Pan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Crazy Pan

Before I get about 80 of you whining that there are no new contests allowed, I went ahead and asked Shatterstar for permission. This thread isn't to officially post my new contest idea, but it's a thread to explain it and see what people think about it BEFORE I post it (so in case it's an overwhelming NO then I won't even bother).

As a newspaper cartoonist, I am expected to do cartoons with a one day turnaround all the time. It takes some getting used to but now I can work pretty fast just from having done this for three years. I thought an interesting contest for the forum would be to do one with that same notion. Call it "Deadly Deadline Contest". This contest would have a 24 hour deadline after it is posted. Regardless of whether or not people get to log in and see the contest. It's all about spur of the moment, what can you do. Topic is over whatever the person chooses. Could be a character creation, could be a battle, could be whatever. Entries don't have to be 100% refined or anything. You could enter sketches, you could enter gesture drawings, you could enter unrendered 3D work, etc. After that, there is a 48 hour voting period and then the new contest starts. The point of this contest would be to simply make you think on your toes. It takes AWAY the liberty of a long leisurely deadline and forces you to work faster and attempt to put as much skill into the work as you would be able to should you have a longer deadline. No, it's not meant to stress people out or anything. It's just like a race. What can you get done in such a short amount of time? How does it compare to your art in which you have weeks to complete?

Before you ask, no, I wouldn't consider extending the deadline to 2+ days. It defeats the purpose of a super short, snappy deadline. You may be thinking "Oh well I'm too busy for that" but come on...there are some of us that spend 3+ hours online doing nothing that we could get a quick sketch of something done :P

But anyway, what do you guys think? Think it'd be fun? Would anyone be willing to submit something for it?

Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Green Skin

Sounds like fun to me.  I only recently discovered the artist community here, and this would be a great contest for me to jump in with.

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By tonis

It's a good idea for exercising the speed muscle. I think the only real problem will be lack of submissions a lotta times along with the whole voting process that goes on in the 'contests'. 
Get past the whole voting part and just make it a picture a day/week/week-day party or something and you'll more likely keep it fun and get more people jumping in the pool.

spawndon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4  Edited By spawndon

photo snaps of sketches allowed?
I couldn't scan in a day...

SteveRodgers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By SteveRodgers

this is a good idea

Crazy Pan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Crazy Pan
@tonis: That could be fun too. To take away the voting part of it I suppose.
@spawndon: Why not? o.o? But sure photo snaps are fine!
frischdvh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By frischdvh

This would be fun....If you start I'll be in as much as I can
soundbite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By soundbite

I like the idea
Crazy Pan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Crazy Pan
@tonis: Problem: If there is no voting then how will we know who does the next one? Volunteers are one thing but then you KNOW that more then one person would say "Oh hey I'll host it next!".
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By tonis
@Crazy Pan said:
" @tonis: Problem: If there is no voting then how will we know who does the next one? Volunteers are one thing but then you KNOW that more then one person would say "Oh hey I'll host it next!". "
yea it's a bitch coming up with ideas without a winner :) 
kind of catch 22, you do it with voting and it'll slow it down, result in defaults, and some challenges that don't fit in the quick sketch mode very well. If you don't have it, you won't have an actual winner to pick a challenge. 

I'd say let people throw their ideas into a bucket, or just the winners for that matter, and let one person host it all the time. You are after all talking about a contest that goes almost every day. There's no way that's gonna get moderated efficiently by a lot of people like the normal ones. Better having one host who echos the sentiments of the winners effectively through the exercises. Assuming that host is willing to get on every day and handle the tasks involved, cause we already seen what happens when people win and don't keep up on their parts. Contests and voting sit around till Shatterstar jumps in and makes them move. 

It's kind of a fact of life, not all users come on daily. Most don't actually, so you should consider how that's gonna affect this idea.
Crazy Pan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Crazy Pan
@tonis: Here's an interesting thought. What if it were a week long challenge? For example, we say "Week-long Challenge 1: Teen Titans" and then specify each day which Titan you'd draw and post. Monday Beast Boy, Tuesday Raven, Wednesday Cyborg, etc. And if you miss a day then sucks to be you lol.
Raven0207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By Raven0207

How about one person is chosen per week, or one volunteer. They select on Monday a topic for each day of the week then the next week the next list can start.
If this is something everyone agrees they like I would be willing to help out to get it rolling.

HarlequinKiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HarlequinKiss

I like this idea. It'd be easy for me though, since I always give myself that deadline on any drawing I do. I just can't sleep (and sometimes can't EAT) when I know there's unfinished artwork lying around so I end up finishing everything within 12 hours. Good mental disorder for a comic writer to have I guess :D