#1 Posted by rocketpig (257 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm working on a new comic and I want it to look very different than most out there. To achieve a different look, I've been practicing with Corel Painter and going for a very loose, emotive style with heavy use of oil paints. I want your opinions... Which do you prefer, #1 or #2?

First sample: Flats in Photoshop, painting in Corel Painter, lettering in Illustrator. Very emotive but lacking in any kind of refinement in shadows and highlights.

Second sample: Flats in Photoshop, painting in Corel Painter, back to Photoshop for shadows/highlights with a low opacity brush, and then lettering in Illustrator. The piece loses some of its emotive qualities but the shadows and light source are far more defined.

Which do you prefer and why? I'm torn on these techniques. I'm going to keep refining them in the coming weeks but wanted to get some outside opinions because I can't make up my mind.

#2 Posted by EGoD (1513 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow this would be a hard choice. I've never used any colouring systems aside from my own hand and marker, so I'm not sure what the difficulty level is between the different systems. It looks more to me of what you're trying to convey in the image. I find the second one is brighter and shows more detail where the first one is more subtle and less expressive.

#3 Posted by rocketpig (257 posts) - - Show Bio

The difficulty level isn't much different, the second image merely has another layer of color applied in Photoshop. I'm going to try to tone down the second pass through Photoshop and see what happens. Thanks for the input.

#4 Posted by WillPayton (9346 posts) - - Show Bio

They're both good, just different. Although, if I have to pick one, I guess I'd go with the second one.