Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By spawndon

Hi, this is my very first 3D work.
ZBrush
Basically, I took an example head, did some reptile brush, distorted some facial meshes, and photoshop-ed it a bit.

Tell me what you think. Also, more advice on 3D programs is desired and welcome. I am trying to navigate to 3D.

No Caption Provided
Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Billy Batson

nice work, man

KRYPTON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By KRYPTON

Good job, looks cool

Mechanical_Ape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Mechanical_Ape
@spawndon: I can give you some advice on 3D programs. When I originally started going to college I was pursuing a degree in digital media, specifically 3D animation. I ended up switching my major, but I still do it as a hobby. Probably the biggest question, is what do you want to do? There are many programs out there, and each of them is typically better at one thing or another.
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By tonis
@spawndon: good start spawn, ZBrush is a handy tool in the utility belt :)
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
spawndon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By spawndon
@tonis: trying masking in ZBrush.

@Mechanical_Ape:
Hello
Primarily, I too do digital art as a hobby. But still, I am looking to improve my skills. So I am aiming for a few things:
1] model characters - I am not too good at sculpting, so I might try to work simultaneously on Daz / Poser and Zbrush to make custom characters from pre-made models.
2] make environments - like suppose, buildings, sci-fi futuristic spaceships. So I have to see what software suits me best to do these. I have two options in mind: Cinema4D and 3DS Max.
3] make 3D from 2D - like say, I draw something in photoshop, and then try to incorporate z-axis information in to the art. I don't know how to do it.
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By tonis
@spawndon said:
" @tonis: trying masking in ZBrush.

@Mechanical_Ape:
Hello
Primarily, I too do digital art as a hobby. But still, I am looking to improve my skills. So I am aiming for a few things:
1] model characters - I am not too good at sculpting, so I might try to work simultaneously on Daz / Poser and Zbrush to make custom characters from pre-made models.
2] make environments - like suppose, buildings, sci-fi futuristic spaceships. So I have to see what software suits me best to do these. I have two options in mind: Cinema4D and 3DS Max.
3] make 3D from 2D - like say, I draw something in photoshop, and then try to incorporate z-axis information in to the art. I don't know how to do it. "
one thing you may find of interest on point #3 is photoshop has been including some decent 3d support in the past few versions. You may want to experiment with those tools and see how they can help with your need.
good strategy on point 1, you'll find those are nice combinations for character designing.
On Point #2, you'll find a lot of tricks to making environments across many of the apps, hell even Poser and Daz have a huge collection of scenes and models/props for that. Cinema4D will be easier to jump on first, but Max is a true workhorse if you really start growing. It's definitely not easy but it's well worth the effort to get familiar with. That's the one you'll wanna bust out as many tutorials and books that you can dig up if you try it.
Mechanical_Ape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Mechanical_Ape
@spawndon: If you're interested in doing it just as a hobby, then Poser, Daz, and ZBrush are all good options. They are all quality programs and the barrier of entry is much smaller with those over other programs. They lack some more advanced features, particularly in the area of animation, scripting, and some effects. But, if you're looking for a way to get started and something that will help you understand the ideas and concepts necessary to do 3D art, they are good programs.

I primarily use Max. It's very good at modeling and animating characters, objects, and environments. Unfortunately, it is also rather complex. It can certainly take some time and effort to become proficient in programs like Max or Maya, but once you reach that level you can do some pretty impressive things.

I don't know of any quick and easy way to go from 2D to 3D. In my work I often start with a 2D sketch. I import it into Max and then through splines or polygon modeling I build the model based on those blueprints. It's not as simple as just pushing a button, but once you get the hang of it, it comes naturally. I believe there are some programs that can do very basic extruding, but I'm not aware of any that can do complex modeling that way.

One more thing to consider, is how you feel most comfortable working. With programs like Poser and ZBrush, you often start with and object and work on manipulating it into what you want. Whereas programs like Max and Maya, you typically start with nothing and work your way up. I've always been more comfortable starting from scratch, but I know many people, particularly artists, that like the idea of sculpting and modifying existing forms. If you can, I'd suggest trying both methods and seeing which feel more natural and comfortable to you.
spawndon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By spawndon
@tonis said:
"you'll wanna bust out as many tutorials and books that you can. "
I am already doing this. Zbrush has a user friendly interface, but one still needs a push to know all his tools. The videos they post are coming in handy.
Plus, I have learnt much more of Photoshop in the last 7 days than I did in the past 7 months. All thanks to books of Derek Lea and others.
A book named "Beyond Photoshop" by Derek Lea will be helpful now, since it deals with combining PS with other 3D programs.
spawndon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By spawndon
@Mechanical_Ape: thanks for the advice, sir.

ok, another here.
 Victoria, the world's most popular 3D model.
Daz, Zbrush, Photoshop

No Caption Provided