• 94 results
gorilla_girl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By gorilla_girl

Hi. I am new here, and I think I'll stick around, cause I really love this forum. Seriously, you people are great, and as far as I can see, some of you have a really good potential as artists.
Anyway, I've noticed that besides the contests (which are awesome and motivating, too) there are separate topics for each artist to show his stuff. So I decided to create one too. Here's some of the stuff I did this year.
Oh, by the way, I'm a bit obsessed with idea of creative growth, so any critique is MOST welcome! Also, if you are looking for some advice or such, I'm more than eager to help.

No Caption Provided
This is Maxwell Lord from the JLI era, which I love with all my heart. And yes, I'm vaguely aware of what happened to him next.

No Caption Provided
And this isn't really comic-related. Well, I kinda want to make a story about this girl and her rabbit-eared friend, but I just don't have enough motivation. Instead, I prefer to draw endless pictures of them. Like this one.

No Caption Provided
...And this one.
No Caption Provided
...And this one. Ew, the hatching here is really bad and lazy, I guess I just wasn't paying attention. Maybe I was thinking about living life with rabbit ears instead.
No Caption Provided
And again with the bad hatching. But I like this picture. I wanted to remove those strokes from the rocks, but the layers were already merged. Oh well.
No Caption Provided
I got a mild nausea while doing this. Sorry, I just love zombies soo much!
No Caption Provided
This is Kirk Langstrom (Manbat) with his family. I think it's kinda silly (and untidy), but people seem to like it
No Caption Provided
This I actually did last year, but I still like it. It's what russian zombies would look like.
No Caption Provided
And this you have seen already. It's Black Canary 2099. For the contest

to be continued
Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Billy Batson

Welcome =) 
great stuff and nice username lol

gorilla_girl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By gorilla_girl
@Billy Batson: Thanks! I picked it after I've been working in the zoo for some time. And I also love Dead Milkmen :)
@M.S. Feather: Why thank you ma'am! Doing that glowing effect is actually shamelessly easy via photoshop.
Hah, gotta love that duo. Actually, when I read that issue of JLI where Beetle goes nuts and attacks Max with a kitchen knife I thought OH MY GOD I GOTTA DRAW THIS TWICE AT LEAST
Agent Buttons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Agent Buttons

These are visually appealing

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By tonis
@gorilla_girl: gotta totally agree with Feather about your lighting skills. It compliments just about every piece you have there. Although it is relatively easy to get the glows and effects in photoshop it's not easy to actually have an understanding of light and where to use it properly to make a visually pleasing picture. That's where your real skill shows. Everything looks like it's professionally lit by a photographer :)

Without a doubt I think the Maxwell Lord one is totally EPIC. It's beautifully creepy and full of symbolism. Incredible job there.
Also think that Manbat is crazy cool. Seeing the little one grabbing at the moth, and the warm light and gentle kiss. None of it should fit with this character but strangely, you make it fit perfect. Now that is a gift when you can do that ;)
gorilla_girl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By gorilla_girl
@Agent Buttons: Thanks! That's really what I want em to be :)
Wow, @tonis, these are the nicest things of what anybody ever told me about my art. Thank you. Really, thank you, you made my day.
So, I just dug out two more pieces, and here they are.

No Caption Provided
This is Gotham. Funny thing, I wanted to do a little animation here, but in approximately three hours I found out I can't animate unicellulate. But I kept the background, thought it's nice.

No Caption Provided
This is a little something for the webcomic I do with my buddy. These are kinda our title characters - Maxwell's Demon and Schrödinger's cat. I'm horrible at physics. My co-author actually explains some jokes to me before I draw them.
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By tonis
@gorilla_girl: really like the Gotham, I can definitely see some cool animation possibilities using that. What do you use to do your animations?
Also where do you post your web comic? Would love to check it out.
gorilla_girl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By gorilla_girl

I tried Photoshop, but I'm considering other possibilities after that fiasco.
Sure, we post it here:  http://breakout-door.livejournal.com/
The only thing - yeeaah, it's in russian. Sorry. But I think I'll come around to translating it someday :)

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By tonis
@gorilla_girl said:
I tried Photoshop, but I'm considering other possibilities after that fiasco. Sure, we post it here:  http://breakout-door.livejournal.com/The only thing - yeeaah, it's in russian. Sorry. But I think I'll come around to translating it someday :)
awesome, thanks.
I don't need to understand the words to enjoy the art so I'm good :)

Yea photoshop is useful for editing a frame in an animation but it sucks at actually doing any animating efficiently. Flash is the easiest way to put the web based content together and move it like you'd want.
If you ever end up trying that and need any help I used to work for Macromedia/Adobe on their flash support and development team. I'd be happy to toss any advice you might need to get going ;)
Darkthewise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Darkthewise

I like your style. it looks like you use a tablet when you draw. What's the program that  you use for your drawings.

@gorilla_girl said:

No Caption Provided

I will say this I do enjoy the background of this drawing ^_^ and the overall Drawing came out very nice looking ^_^
gorilla_girl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By gorilla_girl
@tonis: wow, that would be great! I think I'll get to try animating again pretty soon. Thanks for the advice. I may definitely need some more after I start :)
@Darkthewise: Why thank you! Yes, I use a tablet and I use Photoshop CS5. I grew rather fond of it. There are lots of nice features I just keep discovering.

I will say this I do enjoy the background of this drawing ^_^ and the overall Drawing came out very nice looking ^_^
Aw thanks! I think the main reason it came out good is that I actually planned this picture before I started drawing. I mean, like, I sketched different small versions to ponder about what would be on foreground, and what would be in middle ground, and where the main contrasts would be. I think this strategy is quite useful :)
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Caligula

love your art.

would like to see you participate in some of these competitions!!!

and most of all welcome to the Vine. :D

gorilla_girl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By gorilla_girl
@Caligula: Thanks! I most definitely will :)
Darkthewise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Darkthewise
@gorilla_girl: Oh i see I used to be on  Photoshop 7 and recently change over to  Photoshop CS2 and i know that was a big jump of changes anything really stand out in 
Photoshop CS5 that i should consider upgrading too. The same here with  Photoshop CS2 on unknown feature.

I see I find that a good practice as well. I normally draw the concept at work and then ink it and color it at home.
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By tonis
@Darkthewise said:
@gorilla_girl: Oh i see I used to be on  Photoshop 7 and recently change over to  Photoshop CS2 and i know that was a big jump of changes anything really stand out in  Photoshop CS5 that i should consider upgrading too. The same here with  Photoshop CS2 on unknown feature.I see I find that a good practice as well. I normally draw the concept at work and then ink it and color it at home.
well you made the biggest jump when you moved to the the CS family line, that must have been a little bit of 'interface shock' at first.
Fortunately the majority of the features you would find useful exist across everything from CS2 to CS5. There's a few things that help with productivity and speeding up the process but for the most part from CS3 to 5 many of the new features were focused on adding more 3D support and things of that nature. Unless you're dabbling in that area your not missing too much. ;)

I went from CS2 to CS4 a few years ago, and barely noticed a difference. There's been little incentive to switch to CS5 since it's release.
Darkthewise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Darkthewise
@tonis: yes it was. The bright side I was able to do more with it and it help me in the long term. When I was first learning how to draw I play around with poser creating 3D models but that about it.
DavidR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DavidR
@gorilla_girl:

Love your art, great lighting as mentioned and love the creepy feel. I am a big horror fan and can appreciate your work.

In pointers the one thing that may add to your layout is a little more drama by changing the camera angles more.

Really like the direction in your work so far! : )
gorilla_girl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By gorilla_girl
@Darkthewise: Well, I jumped from CS2 to CS5, and of course I love it more. The design is better, the interface is more friendly, but the best new thing for me is that they put the button of turning on and off the pen pressure on the main instrument panel, so now I don't have to go through all the submenus to reach it. Also, there are some fancy realistic brushes, but I never use them anyway. From what I see, it became much more useful for actual photo-editing, and some of these new tools may come in handy for artists, too. Have a look here, some guy made a nice review http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfkjHnsAsvg&feature=player_detailpag
@DavidR: Thank you! I am actually working on that aspect now. After I defeated my fear of human anatomy (it's still not good enough, but I guess now I can actually see when I'm doing it wrong), I thought it would be nice to put my figures into stronger perspective. That pic with the window is actually my first attempt of three-pint perspective. Anyways, it's a great pointer, thank you)
DavidR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DavidR
@gorilla_girl:

I agree, as we become proficient in one area, focusing on another truly enhances the progression. I am rooting for u!!!

Looking forward to your future pieces!
soundbite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By soundbite

sheesh.  what can I say that hasn't been said?  I will say though, that if I saw your art on the cover of a book or comic, I would buy it based on that alone.
gorilla_girl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By gorilla_girl
@soundbite: wow, thanks man! that's really encouraging :)
Darkthewise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Darkthewise
@gorilla_girl: Oh. thank you for the info ^_^  I can't wait to see your next Plan out drawing since Miss martian and Powergirl are asking for it.  ^_^
gorilla_girl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By gorilla_girl
@Darkthewise: no problem, bro. Aaaw, I hope I'll have time to do Miss Martian too. Still don't know about that, gotta study like crazy these days :(

So, just to keep all my stuff in one place, here's my Power Girl submission
No Caption Provided

And as a bonus another little thing from yesteryear. No, actually, it's a huge thing. It's character design I did for yet another of my imaginary projects that I kinda wish to do in the future. I thought it would be about a big human colony that travels through space to a very distant place. And through generations human race mutates, adapting to life on a spaceship, and there's this protagonist girl, who suffers the hallucinations because there is this cabin fever on a larger scale... oh, now I kinda see why I never got it done. Anyway, here's the picture. Protagonist is on the right, left is her elder sister.
No Caption Provided
... so I can't do a thumbnail. okay. here's the full view: 
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/9/99604/1823750-girls4.jpg
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By tonis
@gorilla_girl: As you know, I love the Power Girl. It's got such a wonderful classic feel to it.
Nice designing on the bonus material too, I'm a big sci-fi fan and would eat up a story like that in a second :)

If you want to post an image that can zoom like a preview you'll need to use the 'small' or the 'medium' options. Although, it still only zooms the image to a 600 pixel wide max so it's no larger than just posting large.
Putting the link below it like you did to the full size is the best strategy, and I like having the easy reference to the big version :)
gorilla_girl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By gorilla_girl
@tonis: Thaanks! Great to hear that. I'll keep this scenario in mind :)

Here's something that's not really comic-related, but so is much other things in this topic, so what the hell. I was building up some kind of portfolio recently. And I decided to include this piece, which is actually based on the pictures I drew in secondary school. God, I was messed up. I call it "oppressed anger bingo"
No Caption Provided
And then I thought, wow, this is grim, I don't want my employers to think I'm a weirdo. I better come up with something cheery now. So I did this:
No Caption Provided
As you can see, my imagination ran dry at the bottom row, but I hope it still looks cheery. And I hope you like it! thanks for watching :)
Aronmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By Aronmorales
@gorilla_girl: Lemme say what has already been said; you stuff is great! fantastic even! You've got a lot of talent and I'd like to see it grow!
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By tonis
@gorilla_girl: lol @ oppressed anger bingo, now THAT is a great title. :) 
I like both moods, and it shows versatility when you can go to both extremes so effectively. A great exercise.
Larkin1388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Larkin1388

Welcome to Comicvine. Your art is amazing and i love the style. You'd make a great artist for Dark Horse. Where do you find your motivation. I've been kinda in an artistic rut lately and just can't seem to find any motivation or creativity anymore.

ARMIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ARMIV

Wow, your work is gorgeous. Seriously.

gorilla_girl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By gorilla_girl
@Aronmorales: aaw, thanks! I don't really believe in talent, but it's still so nice to hear that I might have one :)
@tonis: why thank you, sir. Just doing a bunch of thoughtless sketches from the top of your mind feels great indeed, but revisiting your old old drawings and renewing them feels even better!
@Larkin1388: Hey, thanks a lot. Ah, I wish I could be a comic artist someday, but I'm afraid I live too far away from the industry. 
Well, whenever I have free time and neither ideas worth realization, nor inspiration, I pick up my art books and study. It really helps, cause it makes, um, connection between your head and your hand stronger, so you are more aware of what you're doing. Therefore, it really helps with the creative flow, because you also see clearer whatever you want to draw. And last but not the least, it makes you like what you're doing more. And it's really really important. I know it all might sound confusing, but seriously, thumbs up for studying and practice. I am self-taught, but I can recommend the books if you'd like.
 @ARMIV: thanks! I'm really glad you like it :)
Larkin1388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Larkin1388
@gorilla_girl: Thanks that sounds like a great idea. I am self taught as well but never really studyied any of it. I'd love it if you could recommend some books for me to look at.
Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Eyz

That Max drawing on the first page is pretty intense! Amazing art overall^^
And lovely Power Girl above here^^

gorilla_girl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By gorilla_girl
@Larkin1388: Well, firstly, I would recommend to find a good book on academic drawing. Usually it covers perspective, basic proportions, composition, drawing some basic shapes, also anatomy/figure drawing and some landscapes/architecture. See that the book is fat, and it's good if the author is a professor or something like that. Avoid the thin books with the titles like "how to draw a something", they're usually lousy written and have a pretty narrow approach. It's not a good sign if author concentrates much on technique or tools. Unfortunately, I can't recommend some specific book, cause, well, I live in a different region, and I studied by the russian books. But I'm sure that you may go to some serious art supplies shop and ask the keeper, if you don't find what you like.
Now, you may ask, why academic drawing. Well, I know that some may prefer to learn from the books like "how to draw comics the marvel way", and I can't say that it's wrong, but it will really only teach you to draw the marvel way (well, the 80's marvel way), when a book on academic drawing will teach you to draw whichever way you choose. And any given art teacher would say that it's better to learn to draw from life before doing stylization. Even accomplished comic artists say that! http://syacartoonist.com/learning-curve
 Then, there is some stuff I'd also recommend:
- Anything by Gottfried Bammes - he teaches human and animal anatomy like no other. I heard he decapitated a man once!
- "Making Comics" by Scott McCloud - man knows about juxtaposition. Also, the book is extremely incentive and fun to read. If you want to draw stories, it's the best pick for you.
- Anything on composition. Not necessary a book, you may find something online. Just keep in mind that composition is very important.

So, that's pretty much it. I'm not an art teacher, and I'm still not very good at drawing, but I like to learn, and I just wanted to share my experience. I hope it'll help you :)

@Eyz: thanks! you're really too kind. But I'm glad you like the Max piece. My father hated it :)
Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Eyz

I find you pretty talented^^
Keep up the good work!

gorilla_girl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By gorilla_girl

Quick update! Here's my entry to DC 2099 contest: 

No Caption Provided
And here's my elder cousin. She looks a lot like Hughes' Catwoman, so I thought, well what keeps me from doing this (I mean, except for the fact that I really really should study instead)? So I did this

No Caption Provided
It's very very rushed (spent an 1,5 hour or so), do there are probably lots of mistakes. But I just can't see 'em. I think It's because I drank so much coffee I don't even feel like being conscious.
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By tonis

@gorilla_girl: there's something to be said artistically about being semi-conscious. I personally love when I'm in that zone :)

Very nice job on the Catwoman. It doesn't looked rushed at all. I like the pose you went with and the color mood you set. It all fits well with the subject.

DavidR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By DavidR
@gorilla_girl: "I think It's because I drank so much coffee I don't even feel like being conscious"

Eeeeeeewwww, coffee breath! Just playin'!  ; D

Great looking Catwoman!!!
gorilla_girl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By gorilla_girl
@tonis: I haate it! It's like being drunk, but without all the good parts.
Hey, thanks a lot, you really reassure me :) I hope my cousin likes it too. We haven't talked in years, and now I'm just like "hey sis, couldn't sleep tonight, drew you in a skin-tight leather suit with cat's ears on the roof in a weird pose. how's ya doing. how's that wedding of yours went. bye!"
@M.S. Feather: grazie! you're the sweetest ^.^ Yea, I noticed that too. I think I can do some promotional cards for Gotham since I like it so damn much. Like "Welcome to Gotham! Crime rate went down a bit this year!"
@DavidR: I'm also a smoker! Thank god you can't smell the internet.
Thank you, Robert, that's sweet :) 

I'm still not happy about that Catwoman thing though. It just clicks a wrong way with me. I guess the composition is kinda sucky, but there's also something else. So I'd be grateful if someone shares some pointers or maybe a way to improve it. Anyway, thanks for attention! You encourage me a lot you guys!
Darkthewise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Darkthewise
@gorilla_girl: I think i see what you mean it does feel wrong when you look at it for a bit. that left arm and how the arm goes up just feel wrong when you look at it.  try posing your self in that angle and see how it looks. 
gorilla_girl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By gorilla_girl
@Darkthewise: I dunno, sometimes when I look at my face in the mirror for too long it feels kinda wrong. But yeah, see what you mean, I'll definitely check it when I have time. Thanks! :)
 Ok, to fill this new page a bit, here's a gorilla I drew a year ago. It's a logo for my buddies' hardcore punk band. They actually requested a gorilla in a hoodie with a monkey wrench. A-holes never used it, but I don't care, I like it.
No Caption Provided
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By tonis

@gorilla_girl: between you and Feather I'm getting a nice dose of primates this month, I love it.

A gorilla with a hoodie and a monkey wrench, that's an awesome mascot. :D

Darkthewise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Darkthewise
@gorilla_girl: I also agree that is a really nice Mascot ^_^
gorilla_girl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By gorilla_girl
@tonis: you just might get even more primates from us this month, hope you won't overdose on them. And thanks! :)
@Darkthewise, @M.S. Feather: thank you guys! I told them once that it would look nice on a bass drum, but found out poor bastards didn't even have a drum set of their own
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By tonis

@gorilla_girl said:

@tonis: you just might get even more primates from us this month, hope you won't overdose on them. And thanks! :)
@Darkthewise, @M.S. Feather: thank you guys! I told them once that it would look nice on a bass drum, but found out poor bastards didn't even have a drum set of their own

hehe, I think I've bombarded the system so much for so long I'm not sure it can overdose at this point :)

Bring on the primates. Which kinda psyches me up even more for the new Planet of the Apes movie they're gonna be doing that I just saw previews for.

gorilla_girl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By gorilla_girl

Here's your Lupin, @M.S. Feather! I hope you enjoy it. I NEVA drew anime-alike stuff before, cause I was afraid I'd catch that disease, you know, when a person just draws the same bishonen again and again and never improves. But now that I've tried, I see it's actually pretty challenging, and lotsa fun. I must not do it again.

No Caption Provided
(Sorry, couldnt find a fancy enough font for dedication -.-)
ALSO I revamped my catwoman, hope she looks a bit more like a reckless urban robin hood she is (sorry, was), and less like a cat in heat. Fixed lotsa things!
No Caption Provided
Also, I decided that PINK will go better with this pic, since DC likes to associate pink and catwoman so much.
That's it! Thanks for watching, hope you like what you see. any critique/comments most welcome!
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By tonis

@gorilla_girl: awesome job on Lupin, Feather is gonna be psyched when she sees that :)

I like the update on Catwoman too, the pink/purple really does fit well with her.