looking for artists and writers (alternative compensation)

flyboyalaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By flyboyalaka

I am looking for artist at the moment to help create and re-imagine characters for a comic book company I am currently starting. I am also looking for writers as well, but at the moment artist are the priority. If you are a artist and have some ideas that you think would work for superhero characters I would love to have you on the team.

Compensation at the moment in terms of liquid cash isn't something I have at the moment. But I have three other forms of compensation if anyone is interested. the first is 50% ownership of the character in the company. The second is stock options and the third is quid pro quo meaning you help create the characters and/or draw the stories and the company will help you develop and publish your work for free. feel free to ask any questions. Thank you for your time and have a nice day.

DrF8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

@flyboyalaka: so, you're starting a comic-book company, you want to publish books and stuff? You have a name for it? Someone is already there working for you or something?

flyboyalaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drfate: Yes, I am starting a comic book company. I want to publish comic books at first and expand into other text publishing formats as I go along such as books, novels, magazines etc. But my main focus right now is comic books. The company has a name the comic book publishing imprint does not have a final name yet, but it does have a working title / non official name. No one is working for the company yet in any official capacity. No one is on the payroll and no one has signed any contract. There has been a lot of expressed interest in what I am doing and people actually wanting and willing to move forward faster then I expect. While I am also looking for writers and artist I am also looking for entertainment lawyers and IP lawyers knowledgeable in the field to draw up some contracts. Thank you for asking and if you have any interest please PM with your e-mail address so we can speak further.

I wanted to add in this post that I have created an IRC web chat room for anyone who has any questions they want to ask whether it be about the what will set our comics apart from the rest or more details on how compensation will work or is guaranteed. Any questions that you have about the company I would love to hear. While I am thankful for the interest in the company anyone who has constructive criticism or words of warning are also welcomed to express them. I know this wont be a walk in the park, but as they say nothing ventured nothing gained.

The website is https://kiwiirc.com/. click the try me button. enter your nickname in the display box enter #comiccompany in the channel display box press start

I plan on keeping the chat room as long as possible. I am not sure if the chat room will stay open if I leave the chat room and people are still in, but we will find out as we go along. If it does close then I will just update the the thread with the new chat room.

Thank you for your time and have a nice day.

Blackdog2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flyboyalaka: I am interested. I am an artist looking to get more exposure and experience.

flyboyalaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackdog2009: Thank you for your interest. I sent you a PM with what the artist are currently working on if you are interested check your PM and reply. Have a nice day, peace.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

#6 wildvine  Moderator

@flyboyalaka:

You're looking for writers, and you'll publish our work?

flyboyalaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildvine: I am looking for artist and writers actually , but I made this post specifically looking for artist and botched the opening post. Thank you for pointing out that mistake, hopefully it doesn't deter anyone from what I am genuinely offering. In any case though if you are a writer or an artist looking to get their project off the ground and you don't have the resources for it, if you help us and our company with developing our characters we will use our resources to help you develop and publish your work. Thank you and have a nice day.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

@flyboyalaka: Exactly what resources do you have? Or are you speaking purely of having access to multiple artists and writers via connecting several people under one banner?

Apologies if I seem a bit distrustful. Went through another situation like this a while back and it didn't go well. Just confused as to what, exactly, you're offering. "Stock options" sounds cool but means very little if the company doesn't actually exist.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#9 wildvine  Moderator

I don't like this 50% noise. I might be open to licensing characters...

flyboyalaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By flyboyalaka

@joygirl: The resources we would give you access to are the artist, writers, publishing, marketing and distribution. So in a sense you are right, under one banner [the company] you would have the resources that you need to work on your project as you see fit. Are there any other resources that you think a person would need to get their project started? I would really like to know I want to be as open and fair to the people that decide to help us with our work. There is no need to apologize, I fully understand your distrust. You should be distrustful of a deal like this because you are going to be doing work in the hopes of something better in the future. Like you said none of this means anything if the company doesn't actually exist or fulfills its goals. I didn't want to wait for the company to be registered and incorporated before I started having people at the company. I also really don't want people to start doing work until they have contracts they feel comfortable with. Registration and incorporation are extremely complicated and can take time, and I didn't want to waste that time doing nothing, so I thought I should start recruiting people now. I fully understand if you feel that you need more proof of the company before you can sign on and we are hoping that we can have a working site ready before the end of the summer. Any advice or further concerns you have, please feel free to ask. Thank you and have a nice day.

@wildvine: What do you mean by licensing? Does that mean you already have characters that you have created and that you will license them to use for a fee? What type of payment would you be interested in? Again we have no liquid cash so the only way that would work is in a payment of stock options for the use of your characters. At the moment we are only concerned with creating our own characters in building our own universe. Further down the line we may be interested in incorporating other peoples characters into the universe, but that could get tricky very fast depending on what kind of deal that involves. Could you give me some reasons why the 50% ownership of a character doesn't sound like a good deal? I thought with 50% ownership of a character the creator will have at least some control of the character they have created as suppose to none. Also if you approve of the character being licensed for use you receive 50% of the license fee paid to license your character. In addition you can also sell all or part of the ownership of your character to whomever you want as you see fit. Please explain your position. Thank you for your time and have a nice day.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Joygirl

@flyboyalaka:

Let me go into a bit more detail on my position on this, and kinda break down what your pitch sounds like to a prospective employee (as someone who has been in the situation before).

Your company, to be extremely blunt, doesn't exist from what I can tell. It has no capital, no employees, and no products. You're offering to let people work together (which they can do on their own), in exchange for taking 50% of the rights to their characters. While a single banner to work under is a convenience, it's not one that's worth half character rights.

Stock options, to be blunt once again, means nothing for a company that doesn't exist.

So of your three "alternative compensations," one is detrimental, one is useless, and the third is something we can do on our own without you. That's not particularly tempting.

While it sounds like you're coming from a good place, contributing to a volunteer army to build a company from the ground up works a lot better as a partnership than an employer/employee relationship. Your pitch boils down to us working for free for you, not retaining full ownership of our characters, ultimately not being an important part of the company, with no guarantee whatsoever that our works will be published or the company will succeed.

Generally when an artist and writer pair together in order to create a project, it's under the mutual understanding that they'll be equals and both benefit from the success of the project. Under your as-of-yet nameless publishing company, we struggle towards an unsure future. Not worth 50% rights.

Best of luck, but I'll be better off working on my own comics and commissions than giving my work away for a promise.

flyboyalaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By flyboyalaka

I just want to say that I made a post 3 hours ago that was a reply to @joygirl latest post and it got deleted. I don't know whether the forums is trying to figure out whether it is spam or it was too long to post, but I am surprised that the it would not post or be deleted without any notification. If It doesn't show by tomorrow then I will make the post again in pieces and remember to apparently save the post somewhere else before I post it here. I apologize for the inconvenience everyone on not posting my reply promptly. Thank you for your time and have a nice day.

flyboyalaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By flyboyalaka

@joygirl I just want to start of by saying thank you for your bluntness, I always feel that people are being honest when they are being blunt, so I appreciate your bluntness. I also am always interested in the perspective that other people have on what I am offering because it helps me improve on aspects I need to better recruit others. My response to your post is purely from an analytic standpoint to clarify what we are offering and to confirm or correct any statements you have made about the company and the offer.

You are correct about the company not existing. The company is not officially a company because it has not been registered and incorporated in any state or country. Officially at the moment it is just a group of people who want to start a company and until the forms and paper work have been cleared by the state there is no company it is just a group of people. We are not trying to make ourselves seem more legitimate by calling ourselves a company rather than the group. In our eyes it was more of semantics since we fully plan on registering and incorporating, in the future though I should refer to ourselves as the group until we officially have papers to prove we are registered and incorporated. The company does have capital just not so much that it can afford to spend it on everything. We need to focus on spending our money on what is absolutely necessary, which means we are only using our only using our cash on services that absolutely require it. For example, registering and incorporating a business has to be paid in cash because the state wont accept any other form of payment. We have no formal employees because we are not yet officially a company. There are some people that have accepted what we have to offer, but right now until the company is officially started as in registered and incorporated and they have signed their contracts they are only interested parties. We officially have no physical product, just an idea of the products to create. Making the product cannot be done alone, and that is why we are recruiting others to help us make the product.

To be clear, the project is actually to help us develop our own characters and superhero universe ideas. What we are asking is for talented writers and artist to help us fully realize these characters in comic book format. We are not one of those people that are extremely gifted at doing all the work themselves. We are not gifted at drawing and we are not exactly the best writers, but we do have what we think are great ideas and all we are trying to do is see them realized. If you do create supporting characters around our main characters those characters are 100% yours. The characters that we are offering 50% of are the characters that we have already created and have the idea for, but we don't have the best talent in writing their stories or drawing them. If you do decide that the choice you would like to pursue is a quid pro quo deal then you would get access to writers, artist, editors, marketing, publishing , but again this is a choice you have to make for yourself. If anyone can get a better deal anywhere else I fully advise on taking that deal. People should do what is best for themselves and take the best offer they can get. I am just another option of an offer you can take or leave. For example if you wanted to start a discussion group and you were looking for people to join you could go to chat rooms, forums and ask people in person, decide on where to meet and have your discussion or you could use craigslist or meetups.com or any of its competitors. They are all just options that are available to you to make and you should make the one that best fits your need and time.

Stock options are always an acceptable form of payment if a company doesn't exist as long as their is a contract involved. Stock options are a percentage representation of ownership in a company. Many start up companies use this form of ownership when starting their company even when there product is just an idea. I fully understand that stock options in a company that you can look up in a registry is more reputable than a business that doesn't yet exist formally.

I have to be clear that we are not asking anyone to volunteer any of their time. We are not asking anyone to work for free. We are asking people to work for an alternative form of payment. We do not have cash and any cash the group gets for the foreseeable future is going to be invested into growing the company. We are not asking anyone to volunteer their free time by investing it in a company they will not have a stake in. No one is working unless they sign a contract making it clear how they plan to be compensated for the time they have invested in the company. This contract is something that the company needs just as much as the employee. Everyone has a role in the company and mine is to make sure the the company not only gets started, but that it survives and thrives to keep doing business. Your value to the company is not in just what you do, but also how well you do it. And I have to be perfectly honest with you here and say that if anyone thinks that they are going to get a partnership or board member role in the company just based on the fact that you are writer, inker, colorist, flatter, artist, letterer, editor, then you are quite honestly being delusional. Partnership and board member roles are for people who bring more to the table than just what their primary role is in the company. Are they going to help the company recruit more writers, inkers, colorist, flatters, artists, letterers, editors etc. Are they going to help us find lawyers, accountants, brokers, financial advisers, advertisers, programmers and engineers? Are they going to help with finding investors and provide office space if needed. Being as important as a partner or board member comes with the responsibility that other people that see you in that role can not only rely on you when somethings needs to be done , but they expect that you not only care about the company as much as they do, but that you plan on spending just as much time as they do in making the company successful and not treat it as a side job. I would be remiss if I didn't say that most companies fail, most partnerships fail, most collaborations fail. That is just the nature of business, but we still keep starting companies, making partnerships and forming collaborations because we hope to be one of the very few that actually become successful.

I don't know what makes a 50/50 collaboration between a writer and artist more of a sure thing than what I am offering? You are both agreeing to split future profits correct? And ownership of the product correct? as of which does not technically exist. I digress, and though I could add that we do have a name for the publishing company, I would rather just leave it with I wish you the best of luck and success in all your future endeavors. Please send me a link to your comic book when it gets published, I would honestly love to read and support it. Thank you for your question, criticism and time. Have a nice day, peace.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flyboyalaka:

Well, I'd like to say any of that makes me feel better, but it really doesn't. I'm sure you'll find a few people willing to take you up on this, but it's not going to be me.

Best of luck.

~Joygirl

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Loki9876

I am an aspiring writer but I'm not sure you need that right now.

OrangeBlade6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

im a writer looking to get published have tons of ideas