i-Rix Tries to Draw: Captain Cold

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

User Lists: 2

Edited By ImperiousRix

Continuing my Flash Rogues theme from last installment, this addition of nobody's favorite "art" blog has me sketching up my second favorite among the Flash's lovable Rogues, Captain Cold.  Used the same methods as my Captain Boomerang picture, but added some colored pencils (which didn't really show up all that well once I scanned it).  Again, fairly happy how it turned out, such as it is. 

No Caption Provided
A bigger version can be seen HERE.
I think it came out better than Boomerang, but what the hell do I know?  How about the actual artistically competent people on Comic Vine?  How do you like my take on the Rogues so far? 
Until next time...
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By tonis
@ImperiousRix: another nice one, I can see in the shirt where you're talking about, oh and a lil in the hat. 
Looks like you got some in the guns there too. blends nicely there.
Raven0207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By Raven0207

Overall nice take on Cold. One character I haven't ever drawn.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#4  Edited By ImperiousRix
@tonis:  
Yeah, it looks better on the actual drawing, but when I scan it through my printer, it never seems to read the colored pencils correctly (my other drawings have suffered far worse because of it.  
@M.S. Feather:  
Why thank you.  It's actually because of you I decided to take a whack at another Rogue, as it didn't really occur to me before. 
@Raven0207:  
Cold is definitely one of those characters who is as goofy-looking as he is menacing (much like all the Rogues), and as such was pretty fun to draw.
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By tonis
@ImperiousRix said:
" @tonis:  
Yeah, it looks better on the actual drawing, but when I scan it through my printer, it never seems to read the colored pencils correctly (my other drawings have suffered far worse because of it.  
@M.S. Feather:  
Why thank you.  It's actually because of you I decided to take a whack at another Rogue, as it didn't really occur to me before. 
@Raven0207:  Cold is definitely one of those characters who is as goofy-looking as he is menacing (much like all the Rogues), and as such was pretty fun to draw. "
it sounds like your scanners washing out details you want to keep in, am I correct? 
Depending on what settings you have in the scanner options (varies by brand) you should try looking for anything where you can tweak the brightness contrast ratio or something similar. If it's washing out like that try turning things down slightly, do a test scan, and lather rinse repeat till you get all details you see visually also on screen. It's a good idea to use a good reference photo or something with a wide range from pure white to pure black. 

It can take some work to coax a scanner to see what it should but it's worth the time. Once you get it right it should be good for a long time like that. Least till the lamps start getting old and then you see little shifts here and there and you lose calibration. 

If you can take a screenshot of your scanners preferences and wanna send it to me I could help you narrow in on what'll help.
Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator

FLASH ROGUES!!! YAY!!

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Decept-O

I made the grievous error of destroying a top brand name scanner which a relative generously got for me ( via the company he works for; they didn't want it or need it--brand new!).  I thought I could put it back together after taking it apart to remove a paper jam.   I mention this because it does seem like the brand of scanner/printer/copier makes a difference, especially the ink.   All the bright white Bristol boards I use end up yellowish; not cream but yellowish.  Sucks.   

So using a combo of markers and colored pencils is an additional challenge.  I've seen artists here like EgoD and Dark Walker really pull it off and I think user SatanSunday does that as well.  I know there are other artists who do it and their work comes out great.  Don't give up with your efforts!