Grey lantern concepts

krazyG3O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By krazyG3O

read an interesting green lantern(s) post which bounced around the idea of a possible new lantern corps. one of the comments left spoke of a grey lantern, which got me to think??? what would said grey lantern look like. so i put pencil to paper and here is what came out.  

this is only a concept sketch in what i hope is the first of more to come. i would also like to encourage those of you who have the time, to post your grey (or other) lantern concepts. 
****THIS IS MY ORIGINAL ARTWORK AND IS NOT TO BE USED IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM WITHOUT MY CONCENT****
Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Billy Batson

looks cool :) 

BB

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By TheGoldenOne
I like the suit.
DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DEGRAAF

Nice concept. Just hearing the name Grey Lantern made me thing of some thing like these 

ARMIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ARMIV

Nice! I wonder what emotion they'd be connected to...?

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6  Edited By Pokeysteve

I think I'm the one who suggested the Grey Lanterns. I said they would be emotionless. Someone else though was thinking Sorrow and that could be better. I forget who that was though. Anyways great sketch. The only thing I don't think works it the emblem. It kind of looks like the one Martian Manhunter is always seen with.  The red X. 

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Gambit1024

I think Angst would be the appropriate emotion personally. I like the concept :)

krazyG3O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By krazyG3O
@Pokeysteve:  
I think that having sorrow was a good idea, which is what really got me goin on this concept. i agree with the emblem tho, just kind of filled something in and didnt give it much thought. gonna throw around some more ideas for that tho
Sparklykiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Sparklykiss

I like the idea of the Grey Lanterns being some sort of wispy/astral projected beings or entities. Not sure what feeling or emotion they should possess, but a true neutral would be interesting.

gunjin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By gunjin

life and death aren't emotions. i don't think grey would be either. and the other corps aren't developed enough as it is, i don't think adding another would make things any better. 

either way nice drawing.

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

#11  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

cool

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By tonis

@krazyG3O: very nice rendition and cool addition to the corp. Since gray is sort of the 'in-between' of black and white, I would think the emotion would be somewhat shifting in the middle as something like 'Ambivalence'. They're neither good nor bad, but a little of both :)

Avatar image for ryu_talkative_batman
ryu_talkative_batman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Good stuff

Avatar image for vampireselektor
VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By VampireSelektor

The power of a gray (or grey) lantern should encompass all seven colors of the emotional spectrum. Gray is supposed to convey depression, boredom, neutrality, contentment,  and vagueness. According to color theory, red, yellow, and orange combine to produce a "warm gray", whereas blue, green, and violet  produce a "cool gray". I'm imagining a legion of stoners and impotent old men policing the stars for the glory of the Gray Lantern Corps. Seriously, its members could act equalizers for both the seven Corps and, on occasion, civilians, siphoning off emotions that reached unstable extremes and maintaining balance in the universe.
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By tonis

@VampireSelektor said:

The power of a gray (or grey) lantern should encompass all seven colors of the emotional spectrum. Gray is supposed to convey depression, boredom, neutrality, contentment, and vagueness. According to color theory, red, yellow, and orange combine to produce a "warm gray", whereas blue, green, and violet produce a "cool gray". I'm imagining a legion of stoners and impotent old men policing the stars for the glory of the Gray Lantern Corps. Seriously, its members could act equalizers for both the seven Corps and, on occasion, civilians, siphoning off emotions that reached unstable extremes and maintaining balance in the universe.

oh man, I would so read this, very good imagination :)

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By fodigg
The Gray Ghost! 
The Gray Ghost! 
krazyG3O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By krazyG3O
@VampireSelektor
i like that emotionless idea for the grey lantern and how they can act as equalizers for all the other corps, being able to convey or draw power from the full spectrum of the lanterns...would make them really dangerous
Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By Magian

I like them. Nice job.

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By tonis

@krazyG3O: I like the second one you added too, now that is cool :)

I did a 'silver' lantern for a thread sometime last year. This was the result (I think the theme around them was 'vanity')

No Caption Provided
VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By VampireSelektor
@krazyG3O said:
@VampireSelektor: i like that emotionless idea for the grey lantern and how they can act as equalizers for all the other corps, being able to convey or draw power from the full spectrum of the lanterns...would make them really dangerous

Theoretically, yes, but it would take an event tremendously signficant to rouse them from apathy.  They wouldn't behave like the Manhunters or the Guardians of the Universe, acting without emotions. Gray Lanterns shouldn't act coldly, but passionless and defeated, striving for adequacy because the inner resolve they possess is quite small. Nevertheless, they should take their job seriously.... Hmm. 
TheRedRobin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheRedRobin
@VampireSelektor
I like that idea
VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By VampireSelektor

Gray Lanterns should be able to subdue a member of a rival Corps with their rings: gray rings should either induce deep depression verging on suicidal thoughts (when facing, in order from strongest to weakest, red, orange, and yellow rings) or a deep complacency similar to the effects of MDMA (when facing, in order from strongest to weakest, violet, indigo, blue, and green rings). Each reaction should be tailored to their assigned emotion.  "Warm" Gray Lanterns (who have absorbed ample amounts of red, orange, and yellow energy) should be able to induce these effects in others without the presence of Red Lanterns, Sinestro Corpsmen, or Orange Lanterns, whereas "Cool" Gray Lanterns (who have absorbed ample amounts of violet, indigo, blue, and green energy) should be able to generate this effect without the presnce of Green Lanterns, Blue Lanterns, Indigo Tribesmen, or Star Sapphires. What if Nix Uotan was the Guardian of the Gray Lantern Corps? The Monitors were cosmic vampires who fed off emotionally-charged "stories"; the Gray Lanterns would be side-stepping the whole "story" aspect by taking on a more... interpersonal tactic, cutting out the "story" middle man and feeding on emotional energy directly. Also, I love the association between depression and writers' block, especially the need for an inspiration. Yeats was famous for penning ironically beautiful poems detailing his "writer's block" and old age. JACKAL FACT: "Uotan" is derived from Wotan*, the Norse God of Writing.    

*Wotan is also an alias of Odin.

SpidermanWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#23  Edited By SpidermanWins

nice dude

VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By VampireSelektor
@krazyG3O
Did you ever think of starting a petition for your Grey Lanterns to be included in DC Canon?
krazyG3O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By krazyG3O
@VampireSelektor
no, but now that you mention it sounds good to me...i just need to know how to go about it
krazyG3O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By krazyG3O
@VampireSelektor
i could definately see the grey lanterns gaining or feeding off of other lanterns color spectrums, allowing for them to accumulate radical amounts of power/energy. Each individual lantern would therefore in tern be radically different from on another as individuals encounters would be unique to them and them alone, possible even changing their appearances in the process (evolution). but of course as you eluded to earlier, they would only be drawn into the public eye under extreme conditions, maybe to regain a balance of power being swayed by a particular foe or corps
PushMunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By PushMunky
@ARMIV said:

Nice! I wonder what emotion they'd be connected to...?

Melancholy/ depression.

.....What's next, Brown Lanterns?
VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By VampireSelektor
@krazyG3O
Um, not to commandeer your brainchild, but.... we could do that.
Avatar image for grandsymbiote94
GrandSymbiote94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By GrandSymbiote94
@krazyG3O said:

read an interesting green lantern(s) post which bounced around the idea of a possible new lantern corps. one of the comments left spoke of a grey lantern, which got me to think??? what would said grey lantern look like. so i put pencil to paper and here is what came out.  

No Caption Provided
 this is only a concept sketch in what i hope is the first of more to come. i would also like to encourage those of you who have the time, to post your grey (or other) lantern concepts. ****THIS IS MY ORIGINAL ARTWORK AND IS NOT TO BE USED IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM WITHOUT MY CONCENT****
I think this one is your best though.
soundbite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By soundbite

love the sketches and drawings,  but personally I think expanding the lanterns was the worse thing they ever did to the title. 
Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By Decept-O

@krazyG3O: These are really good. Great idea and artwork!

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Grey Lanterns should be emotionless, their power should come from their ability to suppress emotions. Like Green, they would represent a sort of neutrally amongst the spectrum. Without other emotions to influence their judgement, they would be at odds with various other forces as they perform acts of good and evil to maintain balance.

As Grey Lanterns, they would need to represent a balance between life and death. As living beings they would satisfy the life equation, but as beings with suppressed emotions they would be dead inside (but lack the pure coldness of the black lanterns). They would be beings of logic for the most part. Their struggle would be against their emotions, and when facing another lanterns, will weaken the lantern by overcoming that lanterns emotional power (dulling the emotion that fuels a lanterns powers), but are also vulnerable to any lanterns power unless they master the ability to suppress emotions (like new green lanterns are more vulnerable to fear than veterans).

Power Battery - Powers that once powered the Superman Thought Robot

Entity - Doomsday (reformatted): A being that was once pure emotion:

• Rage - Obvious
  • Greed - Wanted to battle for its own pleasure
  • Fear - Instilled fear in all his opponents
  • Willpower - Gives his all in battle
  • Hope - Generated hope, in that those who rose to fight him gave it to others, even if they eventually lost
  • Love - He loved battle
  • Compassion - (Okay PIS needed here - maybe for battle again)
  • Life - As a being that resurrects and evolves he is the embodiment of life rivaled only be the life entity itself
  • Death - Killed many, and has died many times

Being reborn turns DD into a being of instinctual logic and reasoning (Octopus like behavior vs. a rampant beast). There would need to be work done on the story (certain events happening to a clone, or being part of his rebirth),

Weakness, they are trumped by white lanterns

They stalemate Black Lanterns: BLs ignore GLs, because of their lack of emotion and properties of the ring that making them undetectable to BLs (enter somewhat metaphoric reason relating to not detecting a heart and not having emotions). GLs lack the ability to harm BLs as BLs don't have emotions to dull and because GLs lack the emotions needed to produce light that can destroy a BL.

Ellocobruja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Ellocobruja

well done

VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By VampireSelektor

*Bump* I'm still in love with this idea.

Kyle_Dornez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Kyle_Dornez

Huh, interesting, how I googled Grey Lanterns when they were mentioned in off-topic forums and found myself back on Comicvine... There, courtesy of TheCheeseStabber, I was granted a Grey Lantern ring and immedeatly remembered how Spoony and Linkare in their Warrior #4 review defined Grey Lanterns as Corps of Apathy, Guardians of Not Giving a Crap. So I've googled them and found a logo, that Linkara mentioned

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

I liked it, but thought that it could be, umm, improved upon. So I installed PS and played with it for five minutes, resulting in something like this:

Like this it looks more like Red logo, and kinda like a lightbulb, more in tune with all "Lantern" theme...

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

I really like this concept.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drgnx said:

Grey Lanterns should be emotionless, their power should come from their ability to suppress emotions. Like Green, they would represent a sort of neutrally amongst the spectrum. Without other emotions to influence their judgement, they would be at odds with various other forces as they perform acts of good and evil to maintain balance.

As Grey Lanterns, they would need to represent a balance between life and death. As living beings they would satisfy the life equation, but as beings with suppressed emotions they would be dead inside (but lack the pure coldness of the black lanterns). They would be beings of logic for the most part. Their struggle would be against their emotions, and when facing another lanterns, will weaken the lantern by overcoming that lanterns emotional power (dulling the emotion that fuels a lanterns powers), but are also vulnerable to any lanterns power unless they master the ability to suppress emotions (like new green lanterns are more vulnerable to fear than veterans).

Power Battery - Powers that once powered the Superman Thought Robot

Entity - Doomsday (reformatted): A being that was once pure emotion:

• Rage - Obvious
  • Greed - Wanted to battle for its own pleasure
  • Fear - Instilled fear in all his opponents
  • Willpower - Gives his all in battle
  • Hope - Generated hope, in that those who rose to fight him gave it to others, even if they eventually lost
  • Love - He loved battle
  • Compassion - (Okay PIS needed here - maybe for battle again)
  • Life - As a being that resurrects and evolves he is the embodiment of life rivaled only be the life entity itself
  • Death - Killed many, and has died many times

Being reborn turns DD into a being of instinctual logic and reasoning (Octopus like behavior vs. a rampant beast). There would need to be work done on the story (certain events happening to a clone, or being part of his rebirth),

Weakness, they are trumped by white lanterns

They stalemate Black Lanterns: BLs ignore GLs, because of their lack of emotion and properties of the ring that making them undetectable to BLs (enter somewhat metaphoric reason relating to not detecting a heart and not having emotions). GLs lack the ability to harm BLs as BLs don't have emotions to dull and because GLs lack the emotions needed to produce light that can destroy a BL.

The pieces are there, they just need to assemble them

I'd say use Volthoom as the battery and Entity! Having all emotions drained by Black Lantern Hal and slashed by Nekron turns him into an emotionless entity... since the gray army was created from his powers and the guardians, they would turn into his army (but in their original forms)

Doctor_Fate500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Doctor_Fate500

@vampireselektor:

Gray Lanterns should be able to subdue a member of a rival Corps with their rings: gray rings should either induce deep depression verging on suicidal thoughts (when facing, in order from strongest to weakest, red, orange, and yellow rings) or a deep complacency similar to the effects of MDMA (when facing, in order from strongest to weakest, violet, indigo, blue, and green rings). Each reaction should be tailored to their assigned emotion. "Warm" Gray Lanterns (who have absorbed ample amounts of red, orange, and yellow energy) should be able to induce these effects in others without the presence of Red Lanterns, Sinestro Corpsmen, or Orange Lanterns, whereas "Cool" Gray Lanterns (who have absorbed ample amounts of violet, indigo, blue, and green energy) should be able to generate this effect without the presnce of Green Lanterns, Blue Lanterns, Indigo Tribesmen, or Star Sapphires. What if Nix Uotan was the Guardian of the Gray Lantern Corps? The Monitors were cosmic vampires who fed off emotionally-charged "stories"; the Gray Lanterns would be side-stepping the whole "story" aspect by taking on a more... interpersonal tactic, cutting out the "story" middle man and feeding on emotional energy directly. Also, I love the association between depression and writers' block, especially the need for an inspiration. Yeats was famous for penning ironically beautiful poems detailing his "writer's block" and old age. JACKAL FACT: "Uotan" is derived from Wotan*, the Norse God of Writing.

*Wotan is also an alias of Odin.

This is an amazing idea.

Toastergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Toastergeist

Cool designs!

Cutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool...I like it...it is true that we are missing more colors of Lantern...grey is cool. Good job.