#1 Edited by M.S. Feather (1514 posts) - - Show Bio

Archives

I draw purely for recreational purposes but am constantly looking to improve my work, so constructive criticism is always welcome. :-)

Well...I think I'll start this off with a portrait I did of Doc Ock from the late Spectacular Spider-Man television series.

#2 Posted by spawndon (1373 posts) - - Show Bio

Criticism you said?
Very well. 
 think that at least one or two robotic arms of Doc Ock should be shown in the background/ foreground. 
Otherwise, its hard to believe its him. 
Not everyone might have watched the show, you know?

#3 Posted by LT1085 (3658 posts) - - Show Bio
@spawndon said:
" Criticism you said? Very well.   think that at least one or two robotic arms of Doc Ock should be shown in the background/ foreground.  Otherwise, its hard to believe its him.  Not everyone might have watched the show, you know? "
I absolutely agree. Drawing Doc Ock without his mechanical arms is like drawing Santa Clause without a beard and suit. Honestly looking at it before reading anything, I thought that it might have been Machine Man. Okay I'm done giving you sh!t over that (though it is a pretty important point). Good start on this piece, I'd like to see it finished.
#4 Posted by M.S. Feather (1514 posts) - - Show Bio

I suppose it is rather boring...

I do have an action shot of Ock (that features a little tentacle action) but it's a serious work in progress and needs to be finished.

#5 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the action shot. You've got some potential sir. 

#6 Posted by M.S. Feather (1514 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024: Thank you (and it's ma'am by the way). ;-)
#7 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio
@M.S. Feather:  

Damn, my apologies
#8 Posted by DavidR (1366 posts) - - Show Bio
@M.S. Feather: 

Actually, I didn't read what you wrote at first and when I saw it I said, "That looks like a version of Doc Ock" So without the tentacles I still kinda guessed what you where drawing. Kudos to u! Like ur style.

They are right though, always keep in mind that whoever is looking or reading your work needs a little tip and guidance to be able to understand what you are portraying. Your second drawing really denotes that.
#9 Posted by M.S. Feather (1514 posts) - - Show Bio
@DavidR:

You know, I originally drew the Spectacular picture for the 'Ock Appreciation Thread' over at the Super Hero Hype boards while the show was still airing.  I knew everyone there would immediately recognize it but you guys are right, if I ever had plans to show it to a wider audience I should have taken that audience into consideration.  Oh well, lesson learned.

Also, thank you for the kind words, they mean a lot coming from such a huge talent. ^^'
#10 Edited by M.S. Feather (1514 posts) - - Show Bio

Doc Ock Web of Shadows concept...

Plastic Man...

Random page from a Lupin/Big O comic I worked on...

#11 Posted by The Jeff (290 posts) - - Show Bio
@M.S. Feather: Hey a Lupin fan! I love that show
#12 Posted by M.S. Feather (1514 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Jeff:

If you enjoyed the show I really recommend checking out the comic sometime.  The anime is kiddie stuff compared to Monkey Punch's original stories. :3
#13 Posted by HarlequinKiss (441 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool stuff! That's a nice style for the Doc Ock! I like the grim colors.

#14 Edited by M.S. Feather (1514 posts) - - Show Bio
@HarlequinKiss: Thank you. I think that's the first positive comment I've ever received about my coloring abilities (or lack thereof). :P

Here's one of Zombie Ock for you guys, done in glorious MS Paint (because the Paint+Mouse combo was the greatest artistic tool ever bestowed upon mankind and only the hardest of hardcore dare utilize it's majesty).  Aw yeah...

#15 Posted by M.S. Feather (1514 posts) - - Show Bio

Snake and Eva from MGS3...

#16 Posted by Decept-O (7277 posts) - - Show Bio

@M.S. Feather:  Please do more original work, love to see it.  Need more FEMALE artists on the site showing their work!
#17 Posted by M.S. Feather (1514 posts) - - Show Bio
@Decept-O:  Thank you kindly. :-)

I started participating in Bon and Ossi's sketch a day challenge over at Giant Bomb so I won't be posting much art in here for a while.  I'll still make time to do a piece for your thread and maybe enter a contest or two though.  It's gonna be a busy month...
#18 Posted by Decept-O (7277 posts) - - Show Bio
@M.S. Feather:
OK, thank you.  I appreciate having someone participate in it, and am looking forward to what you will do!  :)
#19 Edited by M.S. Feather (1514 posts) - - Show Bio

Just thought I'd post some quickies up since I haven't added anything in a while.

Electro  and the Green Goblin...

Star Trek scribbles... 

Captain Cold...

Beck Gold...

#20 Posted by Decept-O (7277 posts) - - Show Bio
@M.S. Feather:
These are great but I love Capt. Cold.  I don't get the last one.  Beck as in the musician?  Yes, I am behind on these things.  Sorry.
#21 Edited by M.S. Feather (1514 posts) - - Show Bio
@Decept-O: Thank you. ^^

Haha, no.  Beck as in the Big O character.  It's a great thought provoking series (especially the show) that, as a huge bonus, happens to feature a lot of giant robots ripping each other apart.  Good stuff.
#22 Posted by Decept-O (7277 posts) - - Show Bio
@M.S. Feather:
OK.  Thanks.  I am  clueless  anymore.
#23 Posted by deadpool1109 (429 posts) - - Show Bio

I like how you draw chibi versions of them... Love manga artwork.

#24 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio

Good stuff.

#25 Posted by M.S. Feather (1514 posts) - - Show Bio
@deadpool1109: @Jotham: Thank you both. ^^

'Chibi' art is usually how I draw on my tablet (sounds stupid but I'm still much better with a mouse).  Glad you liked it though!  The only similar art I have on me is this one I did a little over a year ago...
We felt retribution was needed for this little incedent... 

#26 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio
@M.S. Feather said:
"
"
That's hilarious.
#27 Posted by deadpool1109 (429 posts) - - Show Bio
@M.S. Feather: Ah its pretty good man.. it doesnt sound stupid. My guess is your comfortable with the mouse cuz you use that alot more as compared to the tablet. so its cool, Im hoping that in some time we'll be seeing some crazy ass art coming from your tablet too!! :D
#28 Posted by M.S. Feather (1514 posts) - - Show Bio

Just wanted to share this wonderful doll I commissioned from a friend and fellow Ock aficionado (girls for evil geniuses unite!).  She's a real wizard with yarns and did an outstanding job!

Beck Gold (Big O)...

Here's her DeviantArt page if you'd like to check out her other stuff: Master Planner.
#29 Posted by IcePrince_X (4865 posts) - - Show Bio

cute doll...
are you going to voodoo someone? (joke only!)

nice thread by the way.

#30 Posted by Dark Walker (477 posts) - - Show Bio

LMFAO!!  I have no idea who that is but that is awesome. 

#31 Posted by M.S. Feather (1514 posts) - - Show Bio

Thank you both. ^^

It's been a while so I thought I'd post up a few more.  Benny from New Vegas...

I'm a courier, remember?  Don't you want me to handle your package?

Another Plastic Man sketch...
#32 Posted by Decept-O (7277 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't realize you had these other pieces of art as well.  I really really love the Doc Ock and Spidey with Electro and Vulture.   Also like the Plastic Man!  Great job.  I think cartooning is definitely something you have a knack for.   Keep it up!
#33 Posted by tonis (6202 posts) - - Show Bio
@Decept-O said:
" I didn't realize you had these other pieces of art as well.  I really really love the Doc Ock and Spidey with Electro and Vulture.   Also like the Plastic Man!  Great job.  I think cartooning is definitely something you have a knack for.   Keep it up! "
yea I agree, you'd make a great cartoonist. I'd especially love seeing an episode of plastic man in your style. Man did I use to love that cartoon, specially with plastic baby :)
#34 Posted by M.S. Feather (1514 posts) - - Show Bio
@Decept-O: Thank you, that means a lot. ^^

When I first started drawing as a kid I used to sit in front of the TV and draw my favorite cartoon characters while they were on the screen.  Of course, we didn't have the internet for references back then and my Mom didn't think comics were appropriate for a little girl so that's how I had to do it!  I've tried to become more detailed in my work over the years but I think a little bit of that animated style will always be present.  My comic favorites Jack Cole and Monkey Punch happen to have very animated styles as well, so it's something I'm happy to embrace. : )

@tonis: Thanks!  Haha, it's a good thing that baby was nigh indestructible...child endangerment indeed!  I don't know if you caught it but there was actually an episode of Brave and the Bold a few months ago that reintroduced Baby Plas.  Not only that but it focused largely on Woozy being Plas' sidekick as well!  It was any classic PM fans wet dream.
#35 Posted by tonis (6202 posts) - - Show Bio
@M.S. Feather said: 
@tonis: Thanks!  Haha, it's a good thing that baby was nigh indestructible...child endangerment indeed!  I don't know if you caught it but there was actually an episode of Brave and the Bold a few months ago that reintroduced Baby Plas.  Not only that but it focused largely on Woozy being Plas' sidekick as well!  It was any classic PM fans wet dream. "
I did not know that was on the brave and the bold, I now know what my mission is tomorrow. I'm finding that episode :) 
huge thanks, Woozy rules as a sidekick. 

Now if they'd just bring back captain caveman and his little one I'd be in cartoon heaven again.
#36 Posted by M.S. Feather (1514 posts) - - Show Bio

A Lupin Christmas card I made for my friends and followers here on the Vine...

This is a revised version as I made a huge coloring mistake in the original.  I knew my eyesight was bad but jeez Louise, I must be practically blind!

Anyway, unlike Santa I didn't have a checklist or anything, so I'm really sorry if I forgot anyone.  I hope you all had a great Christmas and I'm looking forward to spending a new year here in good company.  Cheers!
#37 Posted by tonis (6202 posts) - - Show Bio
@M.S. Feather:
for sure, a worthy cheers n some more beers for the whole lot :)
#38 Posted by Decept-O (7277 posts) - - Show Bio
@M.S. Feather:
A (belated) Merry Christmas to you and a Happy New Year!
#39 Posted by M.S. Feather (1514 posts) - - Show Bio
@tonis:  After reading your comment last night I drew this...

Har, har!  You're such a lightweight kid!
In the Zelda universe they don't drink alcohol...but the milk'll f^$* you up! ^^

@Decept-O: You too.  Happy New Year everyone. : )
#40 Posted by Decept-O (7277 posts) - - Show Bio
@M.S. Feather:
Now that is very funny!  I love it!  Great colors as well.  Nice, you should do these more often.   

Happy New Year!
#41 Edited by M.S. Feather (1514 posts) - - Show Bio
@Decept-O: Done!

I hope you guys like racing because here's one of Lupin at the Monaco Grand Prix...

"Is Lupin Burning...?!"
The back tires are a little too small and the four is crooked but other than that I guess it turned out okay. : \
#42 Posted by tonis (6202 posts) - - Show Bio
@M.S. Feather: nice, yea I see what you mean on the tire, but overall great job. 
Kudos on throwing vehicles into the mix, always an interesting object to tackle and practice :)
#43 Posted by M.S. Feather (1514 posts) - - Show Bio
@tonis:  I'm as passionate about drawing machinery as you and Raven are about ladies, so it probably won't be the last time you see a vehicle by me.  Especially classic cars from the 30's and 40's... *drools*

Oh!  Also, since the thread's now three pages long I guess it's time to collect everything and archive it in the first post.  I'll also be adding all of my contest entries and such, so I'll try and get that done soon.
#44 Posted by tonis (6202 posts) - - Show Bio
@M.S. Feather said:
" @tonis:  I'm as passionate about drawing machinery as you and Raven are about ladies, so it probably won't be the last time you see a vehicle by me.  Especially classic cars from the 30's and 40's... *drools*  Oh!  Also, since the thread's now three pages long I guess it's time to collect everything and archive it in the first post.  I'll also be adding all of my contest entries and such, so I'll try and get that done soon. "
awesome, be nice having it all in one big feast for the eyes.
yea, I gotta admit then based on that factor, YOU REALLY LIKE VEHICLES!!! :) 
It's always awesome seeing the classic ones again, sometimes arts the only way we ever get to see them anymore. I say if you make em, we will enjoy.
#45 Posted by Mercy_ (92697 posts) - - Show Bio

I love your art! The Captain Cold on page one was awesome. ^_^

#46 Posted by M.S. Feather (1514 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress:  Haha, I should have figured the thing I put the least effort into would be the most poplular.  :P

Thanks for stopping by.  I appreciate it. :3
#47 Posted by tonis (6202 posts) - - Show Bio
@M.S. Feather said:
" @The Dark Huntress:  Haha, I should have figured the thing I put the least effort into would be the most poplular.  :P  Thanks for stopping by.  I appreciate it. :3 "
lol, this seems to be a law of artistic nature :) 
hey, the opening post is looking much nicer
#48 Posted by M.S. Feather (1514 posts) - - Show Bio
@tonis: Accidental masterpieces, eh?  Art does often seem to work in that way.

As for the first post, I have over two thousand images uploaded and never bothered to organize them...so it's going to take a little longer than I anticipated to get them all up.  Yeesh.
#49 Posted by tonis (6202 posts) - - Show Bio
@M.S. Feather said:
" @tonis: Accidental masterpieces, eh?  Art does often seem to work in that way.

As for the first post, I have over two thousand images uploaded and never bothered to organize them...so it's going to take a little longer than I anticipated to get them all up.  Yeesh. "
yes, on occasions we get to understand the meaning of a 'beautiful accident' with creation :) 
two thousand, that's gonna be a project. I organized all mine pretty much as they came out, only the first dump was work.
#50 Posted by Decept-O (7277 posts) - - Show Bio
@M.S. Feather:
Colorful, and you know what is going on; the dude is about to do some racing.  Atlhough I don't know anything about Lupin, it is nice, and I like the colors here. It is indeed a challenge to combine objects and backgrounds with characters and get proportions correct. ( I intend to add more of that in the Red LAMP strip.)