Drawing Harley Quinn - Part 2: Refinement

claytonbarton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

IT’S FINALLY HERE!

Firstly, a big THANK YOU for your incredible patience. (It’s been a busy few months).

Proudly announcing Part 2 of the Harley Quinn, Comic Book Penciling Tutorial series. Check it out right HERE - http://youtu.be/5WBQNC5g0Fo

Here’s what you’ll learn in part 2.

Continuing on from where we left off, I’ll show you how to turn a roughly defined, foundational sketch into a slickly polished piece of line art.

Throughout the video you’ll discover how to –

• Use Line Weight variations to create an array of varying visual effects that deliver maximum appeal to your art work.

• Define Interconnecting and Overlapping Lines to enhance depth within your scene.

• Use Reference material to accurately define the elements that make up your illustration.

In case you missed Part 1, here it is! http://youtu.be/AsJnLqNGXCY (It covers the all important foundations that hold up a well-structured drawing, so don’t miss out on it)

Enjoy, and have yourself a very happy New Year!

-Clayton.

Fiesty_Badger6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow that's some amazing stuff you're doing. Really cool tutorials.

I'm definitely going to look into this computer stuff you're using after seeing what you can do with it.

JugJugBanks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

so, from what I gather, you are a games artist, and have not actually been published (yet) by the Big 4, or even any of the paying comic companies which would constitute the "big 10"?

JugJugBanks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

so it looks like the answer is "no".

claytonbarton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fiesty_badger6: Thanks man, really appreciate your kind words. It takes some getting used to but going digital certainly has it's perks.

@jugjugbanks: Thank you for taking the time to comment. You are 100% correct.

JugJugBanks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JugJugBanks

are you an RMIT graduate?

what can you do on 2 ply vellum bristol with 2 pencils, ink, a #2 brush and 2 dip-nibs? As in Hunt or Gilotte?

what can you do on a gessoed ground with acrylics or gouache over coloured inks?

and thank you for taking the time to reply back, honestly. there are some folks in "comics" in the antipodes who don't.

claytonbarton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jugjugbanks: Thanks for your question. RMIT graduate? No.

As you can see in the tutorial, most of my work is done digitally using Manga Studio and Photoshop.

It's clear you really know your stuff in regards to mainstream industry and traditional mediums JugJug. Do you have any advice you could offer other aspiring comic book artists just starting out?

Maybe we can do a collaboration together sometime? Do you have a Youtube Channel/Website?

JugJugBanks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JugJugBanks

I don't support youtube. it makes $$ off artists/content creators without giving much back, kinda like pseudo publishers that offer deferral off net profits only (that never come due to print prices, especially where you come from), rather than off the cover price profit splits from every any any unit sold, like Fantagraphics.

That right THERE is advice to newbies. Never accept a deferral deal, as it'll come from some ass-wank who calls themselves a publisher but is really just a talentless piece of used toilet paper seeking to exploit an artist/penciller/inker. Avoid ass-wanks that want you to spend 500 man-hours illustrating bad rip-offs of the Robert Downey Jr. Sherlock films, or worse plagiarisms. Hollywood doesn't buy craptastic rip-offs of something done better by professionals in the industry beforehand, for pay.

Also, the quality of youtube is crap compared to vimeo, and has always been. (another piece of free advice to the newcomer). ABC RN show-hosts (ABC RN which is global, so peeps outside of Oz listen to it in the USA and Canada) act like vimeo is a "new thing", which makes certain people (like Tod Samson) sound like idiots rather than knowledgeable pundits. Frankly that mendacious piece of Koala Droppings mixed with Emu Turds is a waste of your tax dollars as is the aesthetic coma known as Tim from Numbrella.

claytonbarton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't support youtube. it makes $$ off artists/content creators without giving much back, kinda like pseudo publishers that offer deferral off net profits only (that never come due to print prices, especially where you come from), rather than off the cover price profit splits from every any any unit sold, like Fantagraphics.

That right THERE is advice to newbies. Never accept a deferral deal, as it'll come from some ass-wank who calls themselves a publisher but is really just a talentless piece of used toilet paper seeking to exploit an artist/penciller/inker. Avoid ass-wanks that want you to spend 500 man-hours illustrating bad rip-offs of the Robert Downey Jr. Sherlock films, or worse plagiarisms. Hollywood doesn't buy craptastic rip-offs of something done better by professionals in the industry beforehand, for pay.

Also, the quality of youtube is crap compared to vimeo, and has always been. (another piece of free advice to the newcomer). ABC RN show-hosts (which is global, so peeps outside of Oz listen to it in the USA anc Canada) act like vimeo is a "new thing", which makes certain people (like Tod Samson) sound like idiots rather than knowledgeable pundits. Frankly that mendacious piece of Koala Dropping mixed with Emu Turds is a waste of your tax dollars as is the aesthetic coma known as Tim from Numbrella.

I can defiantly see where you're coming from @jugjugbanks. I guess I've always seen Google as doing Content Creators the favor. After all, they are providing a completely free platform for users to share their content and self publicize, with the opportunity to generate mass exposure for their own Premium products on top of that. This would have cost a lot of money only a few decades ago. But again, you do make a good point that's hard to argue with JugJug.

Do you have an online Portfolio, Blog or Website? I would love to check out your stuff, even query you on some of your techniques. Like I said, I'm relatively less savvy with traditional mediums these days.

There's a lot of really valuable points you managed to tuck away in your last post. Hopefully others reading this thread will take away some of those gems too. But, the way you came across implied you really had a lot more to offer in the realm of traditional workflows for Comic Artists. Possibly even breaking into the larger companies such as Marvel or DC? Maybe I misinterpreted the point you were trying to make, but if you do have any real background on the topic there's no question you've likely got a resvoir of wisdom to offer other Comic Artists out there who are just starting out.

Thanks for taking the time to share JugJug.

JugJugBanks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JugJugBanks

the problem there is that your last 2 posts mimic a bad (and self destructive) habit of the Oz Comics community. Being polite and mining/phishing for information on someone after they might have said something irritating to less-than-savoury-members of your community.

And let's not forget that your community comes from the land of - correct me if I get this phrase wrong or out of context - "tall poppies". Which is applied in the arts but also even applied in medicine, even in brain surgery, according to your version of N.P.R. ...

So, after what happened to the female Bat Editor who rightfully slammed a Teen Titans cover and then got the crap (needlessly) kicked out of her by people pretending to be polite outwardly but inwardly wanting to stick the knife in? Sorry bud-ski, sorry matey-boy, no wukkas, but no go. maybe you're genuine, maybe you're like over 50 ass-wanks who aren't and provably rorted public monies from (again, tell me if I misuse that term) grants from places like The Australia Council for the Arts.

This is another freebie to newbies: if you want to be honest about things (and people) that are crappy in the industry, then just like in politics, keep your privacy of identity, as you well should.

Especially when many people, particularly from the - Brunswick? Fitzroy? - areas are notorious for pseudo polite behaviour, which is in fact turns out to be c0ckless passive aggressive wankage, and then straight out aggressive wankage. Then again, those folks often consider grafitti artists who put speech balloons against their tags to be "comic artists".

they're not.

Unless they ever got a royalty for it. And I don't mean Centrelink. (I got that one right, I am sure).

JugJugBanks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JugJugBanks

and here's what you can do with a REAL inking tool, on physical substrates, versus digital work, since you cannot sell digital files at conventions or artist alleys or via art dealers:

No Caption Provided

common steel nib over hb graphite wooden pencil. A Blue Yabbie.

Good eatin'.

Fiesty_Badger6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Fiesty_Badger6

@claytonbarton No I don't really understand what this guy @jugjugbanks is talking about either. I can understand if he drew a sherlock holmes movie tribute for a publisher who didn't have the rights for the material that this could have been a little traumatizing when their was no payday at the end but when he criticizes politeness like it's some form of obsequiousness and rants incoherently about other people's unprofessionalism then I really think he needs to stop and take a reality check. Politeness smooths the wheels and leaves the person, who employs politeness as a standard approach in their dealings with others, free to be relaxed enough to focus entirely on their work. And not on smashing their drawing table or tablet.

I think every finished product, regardless of the medium used, comes from the artist's unique viewpoint and while many people think Van Gogh was a genius. Too me he drew like he acted. Like an unstable nut.

Avatar image for ramsillustrations
RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fiesty_badger6: @claytonbarton:

Keep up the good work Clayton, I already sent some of my fellow artists that I mentor to your you tube vids. Biggest complaint by them is they want more. :D

JugJugBanks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JugJugBanks

@fiesty_badger6 said:

@claytonbarton No I don't really understand what this guy @jugjugbanks is talking about either. I can understand if he drew a sherlock holmes movie tribute for a publisher who didn't have the rights for the material that this could have been a little traumatizing when their was no payday at the end but when he criticizes politeness like it's some form of obsequiousness and rants incoherently about other people's unprofessionalism then I really think he needs to stop and take a reality check. Politeness smooths the wheels and leaves the person, who employs politeness as a standard approach in their dealings with others, free to be relaxed enough to focus entirely on their work. And not on smashing their drawing table or tablet.

I think every finished product, regardless of the medium used, comes from the artist's unique viewpoint and while many people think Van Gogh was a genius. Too me he drew like he acted. Like an unstable nut.

Actually you probably don't know much about the Australian comics scene and what professionalism in comics means. If you have not been paid a professional wage for doing comics you can make statements about professionalism, and when people are being *actually* polite, or when something else is going on. For example if you have ever sat at an editor's desk while being paid by a publishing company. (you might have; unlikely but possible.) If not, then not.

There have been more than a few comics from Down Under which actually are nothing more than rip offs of other material. They don't make any money. They don't help the artists whom have worked on them.

Also,I think you misused "obsequious" in the context of your retort, as well. I did not refer to polite behaviour or paint it in any way, I stated that there could be pseudo polite behaviour, which is passive aggressive and dissembling. Dissembling is not synonomous with obsequious.

As for "reality check", if you have received a royalty check for comics over $150 then you can talk about checks, of any kind, in comics. If not, then not.

I didn't say at any point that Clayton's work isn't good. But it's comic samples from someone who is a game artist.

As for the other stuff RE "you don't know what I'm talking about", if it's stuff like Fitzroy and Brunswick references? Those are suburbs in the area of Australia where Clayton hails from, well known for a few comic artists and a lot of cartoonists. Those places are as well known to Aussies as places like "Haight Ashbury" or "Jack London Square" or "The French Quarter" are known to people in the USA.

RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jugjugbanks:

Dude, I dont know if you realize, he was trying to share his informative video with others and if you look "AT HIS" thread, you have been kinda disrespectful by hogging this up with your opinions.

Put yourself in his position and see how it feels. Everyone is here to learn from each other and you are not bad at your own art but your faces and anatomy need work and so does your elongated crazy hands and fingers. Your work is a mash up of Pat Broderick, George Perez and Rob Leifeld, you are not in a position to be so negative on the art mediums and self expression of other artists regardless of what medium they use.

I worked all my life with traditional tools until about 3 years ago I embraced digital and I love it. Brian Bolland also went digital and does not plan to ever go back to traditional. We all know he's a pro at what he does regardless of medium. So if you don't believe me then maybe he carries more clout than I do.

Chill out and use the different tools that suit you best and don't be so critical and disrespectful of others by their choices. If you don't have anything good and positive to say then......

Fiesty_Badger6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ramsillustrations. I posted e'm both up on my FB. Even without the tech the work flow is pretty clearly spelled out. Leaves my stuff for dead. But practice and good advice. Always yields better results even if not right away.

RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fiesty_badger6:

Clayton has become a solid artist and is way ahead of many and the proverbial curve. He should not be criticized for the medium he uses but appreciated for the things he has learned and wants to share with others. He has a natural flow to his tutorial and knows a thing or two about comic book art and its great that he wants to share. If others benefit from his videos he should be thanked rather than rebuked.

More power to you Clayton! :D

Koza101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice work Clayton !

Iv'e managed to really Learn so much from your tutorials. The detail is amazing, and looking at your work it seems fairly on par with top artists like David Finch and Marc Silvestri. Looked you up on Google, and found you also had kickass traditional penciled art work too !

RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koza101:

Thought he was your brother, hehehe ;P

claytonbarton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By claytonbarton

@ramsillustrations, @fiesty_badger6 , @koza101, Thank you for your support. Honestly, your words of encouragement make all the time, effort and energy I've put into making these videos worth while. Along with the other heartwarming messages I've received since the site went up, it's been incredibly rewarding to hear how it's benefited others and helped them in one way or another. If I hadn't received the guidance from those further ahead in their journey then I once was, I would not be the artist I am today. To be in a place where I can now return the favor is beyond rewarding.

@jugjugbanks: You've made a lot of assumptions here that really don't warrant addressing. It's not hard to do your research. You said it yourself, I don't use an alias.

The ability to draw dynamically is a skill set that branches out into a broad spectrum of areas - from Comic Art and Conceptual Design, to Sculpture, 3D Modelling and Texturing - across multiple entertainment industries. You likely already know that focusing specifically on mastering the art of Comics gives you immense leverage in harnessing that skill set. You're right, I've studied in other areas, with Comic Art as a fundamental foundation. Given that, as a contractor, there are additional opportunities available outside of it. Doesn't it make sense that at times I might be involved in projects that are Comic related and sometimes not so? - Regardless, the truth is I've been in Education for the last 5 years by choice. It's also a core focus of mine right now beyond all else.

Most of my clients are offshore, so honestly you probably know more about Brunswick and the OZ Comic Community then I do. And your opinion on it is really irrelevant to the topic so I'm not sure why you wasted your breath bringing it up. You had every opportunity to bring your own knowledge and experience to the table in a real way that could help others. I wasn't challenging you in a passively aggressive way. I just genuinely believed you had something more valuable to offer here.

The professional world isn't a place where an inflated ego gets you too far. It's not that I'm polite - that's simply how a professional, who must get along with and work with a multitude of personalities, opinions and beliefs needs to be. Don't make it personal, everybody's got an opinion they'd like to ram down someone else's throat - and they equally believe what they think to be correct and justified.

Maybe you've been exploited in the past, I can relate. But that's part of the territory @jugjugbanks, it happens all the time. Take what you can from it and appreciate it as a valuable learning experience that will benefit you in the long run.

@ramsillustrations said:

@koza101:

Thought he was your brother, hehehe ;P

He sure is ;). And his skills are making me nervous! It's good to have someone who forces you to lift your game like that.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@claytonbarton:

Wow this is incredible. You are very talented.

Keep up the good work.

claytonbarton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@claytonbarton:

No worries my friend, you have well earned the compliments.

Happy New Year btw.