Do books on How to draw Comic Books and Manga and Cartoons help

Avatar image for slacker_the_hacker
slacker the hacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

im trying to learn all 3 comics first and im doing good but i feel like im stuck on it cant show my art on here cause it still kinda sucks 
I Did not start drawing Manga or Cartoons yet but i plan to start soon
Omegaman10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Omegaman10

i guess they sorta help with the basics, from then dont stop drawing and you'll eventually develop your own style. I would recommend posting your art here, some people can be really helpfuland criticism is always a good thing if you want to improve. Hope that helped.
Avatar image for slacker_the_hacker
slacker the hacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Omegaman10:
Yeah like when i draw stuff i have trouble with body shape muscle detail  i just got good at drawing hands
DavidR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DavidR
@slacker the hacker: 

They help guide you but you have to be able to teach yourself from what you learn, after you have a direction, practice, practice, practice!
Cartoons are not a bad starting point but manga and cartoons are not what you should stick with. Learn from correct anatomy and use photos for reference. Good luck!
Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

too many. if i could suggest one this book was really helpful to me in understanding the 
exact process behind comic books and kept it very simple. shouldn't be too hard for
your comic store owner to get a copy of. (i believe the current edition has Spider-Man
on the cover. I've never read that version so I wouldn't know if the content differs) 
I think its good to understand how to draw, but at the same time it's helpful to know the
process to understand why things should be done a certain way.

It's also an official application for work at Marvel. Bonus!
 It's also an official application for work at Marvel. Bonus!

obviously as well in this day and age we have the internet to use as a tool.
take some time and searching, and bookmarking and there shouldn't be 
anything you can't come across.
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By tonis
@DavidR said:
" @slacker the hacker:   They help guide you but you have to be able to teach yourself from what you learn, after you have a direction, practice, practice, practice! Cartoons are not a bad starting point but manga and cartoons are not what you should stick with. Learn from correct anatomy and use photos for reference. Good luck! "
I agree with Robert, books and training will help point arrows when you feel a passion to do something but they won't necessarily provide all of the 'directions'. That's something you find inside as an artist, direction, and you learn to point it where you need it. 

referencing photos, having a general good understanding of lights and shadows (especially at a B&W level), and creative depth of field go a long way to finding realism of visions in your storytelling.
614azrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By 614azrael
@tonis:
@DavidR:
these two are more intone with what you should go for. If your looking for books i recomend things like the vilppu drawing manual. figure drawing by andrew loomis or burne hogarths dynamic figure drawing. These books were given to us students at the art institute of las vegas by are anatomy teacher
IcePrince_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By IcePrince_X

Books are good for training you the basics. 
Practice with them. 

In my library: I have at least more than 100++ books on drawing, painting, among others... 
The ones that I like is How to Draw the Marvel Way, Dark Horse Inking Book, Leanardo da Vinci's Sketchbook, Degas' Drawings, Walter Foster's Anatomy Book and several How to Draw Anime.   

I believe that one can not reach the top without taking a single step... meaning practice takes perfect.. your own style will follow later on. I have one cousin that I got into drawing and he really started from scratch, needless to say that he started at the age of 22 to literally taking the pencil to draw. It took him two years to get this going but where is he now? He has made a cartoon, a children's book and some splash page. Though he works now to a land development firm, his passion for drawing did not cease. He still draws and even the first one to have his art DA account.    

Here are the tips I give to my students:  
a) Have a notebook or sketchpad that you can doodle on.  
b) Make it realistic as much as possible first before moving on to the exaggerated forms. It is easy to play with anatomy and shapes if you know its true form. 
c) Practice also with angles and backgrounds. Some people tend to forget, that it is equally important to draw scenes for your character. 
d) Experiment, Explore and Enhance. Try different mediums or subjects, look into other people's art works and try to incorporate some to your own.   
e)Have fun! Don't kill yourself too much if you can't get things right the first time around. Art takes time to make and can't just be a hurried thing. Once you mastered your basics, trust me, its the time that things just come out naturally.  

Good luck and we do look forward in seeing your work here plus you joining our Artist Show-Off threads!    

614azrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By 614azrael
@IcePrince_X:
all helpfull pointers id agree
spawndon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10  Edited By spawndon

Get books from Christopher Hart. They are good in tutorials.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By Gambit1024
@spawndon said:
" Get books from Christopher Hart. They are good in tutorials. "
I agree, he is really good.  

They're good at teaching basic anatomy and structures. To really get something, you gotta practice and develop your own unique style. 

When I first started drawing, all I did was copy. I copied all my favorite artists for years, but I never did anything original. One day I just decided to draw something original, and it didn't look as bad as I thought it was gonna be (granted it was still pretty bad). So I practiced and practiced and now I think I'm pretty good. I'm not great, but I can say that I'm confident in my original drawings now. That's something I didn't get from reading a book. So when it all comes down to it, books are a great starting point, but to realize your artistic potential, you gotta do some original work. The first one will always suck, but you can only improve from there. 
Blankspot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Blankspot

They say it takes something like 20,000 hours to be good at anything.  The being said it is all about practice and a willingness to grow.  I use books as reference points to aid mysefl.  That being said I taught myself just about everything I know.  To get to the level I am at right now it took me drawing just about everyday for 4  years.  If you go to my deviant art account scott-bailey you will see that progression.  Ultimately books can only augment a natural talent and hour and hours of practice.  No one is instantly good at something.  Remember you are always going to be your own worst critic.   Currently I am going through a process of drawing something out then completely redrawing it again and refining it. 
614azrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By 614azrael
@Blankspot:
another wise artist coment. as my teacher says alot it takes thousands of sketches and drawings to find that good one. Put simply practice generate ur ideas and simply go at it. U only have room to improve afterall
Om1kron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By Om1kron

there are a few things I think that will help, if you spend too much time focusing on drawing people which many artists do, your backgrounds and depth of field will fall short. It's a good thing to study perspective to add some great depth of field to your work, then once you have a good understanding some basic figure drawing or observational drawing will help. try carrying an art pad and a pen on you, whatever you can scribble with and just draw things you see as best as you can, doesn't have to be perfect.  

eventually you will gain an understanding of how the area and pose you're trying to capture will fall together rather than drawing some stiff figure with accurate muscles then trying to draw a background around that. 

LuisEscobar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By LuisEscobar

Some of the best books every written on the subject of drawing are now public domain, namely Andrew Loomis' books.  Here's a link where you can download them for free:  
http://escapefromillustrationisland.com/2010/01/07/free-andrew-loomis-art-intstruction-downloads/

I also recommend  finding a figure drawing class with a good instructor ( good instructor a MUST):  
http://www.artmodelbook.com/figure-drawing-directory.htm

All the advise above is very good. I will add one more thing though.  The BEST way to learn, is to learn from a pro, or someone just as good.  They can guide you much better than anything else. It's possible to learn martial arts and music from books, but it's best to bet taught.  Same with comics. 

Also, don't worry about style. Drawing poorly isn't a style, it's just drawing poorly.  If you become a good draftsman, you can draw in any style and create as many styles as you want.  

Read a lot of comics, old and new, watch a lot of movies, old and new, read a lot of books, old and new.

Learn the three theories of story:

DavidR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DavidR
@614azrael said:
" @tonis: @DavidR: these two are more intone with what you should go for. If your looking for books i recomend things like the vilppu drawing manual. figure drawing by andrew loomis or burne hogarths dynamic figure drawing. These books were given to us students at the art institute of las vegas by are anatomy teacher "
Glad to hear that Burnes books are still used in class, I was actually lucky enough to study under him and Gil Kane while they where alive.

Wow I can actually say that.    : )
DavidR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DavidR

One thing that was something that probably helped me even till now, at least the benefits of it. 
When I was around eight I decided that everything I drew at that time I would do so in ball point pen and or marker. Never using a pencil but drawing everything out carefully, pushing me to make less mistakes knowing I wouldn't be able to fix them. Had to be extra careful to have a satisfying final drawing, either that or I got pretty creative covering up my mistakes. : P

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By tonis
@DavidR said:
" One thing that was something that probably helped me even till now, at least the benefits of it.  When I was around eight I decided that everything I drew at that time I would do so in ball point pen and or marker. Never using a pencil but drawing everything out carefully, pushing me to make less mistakes knowing I wouldn't be able to fix them. Had to be extra careful to have a satisfying final drawing, either that or I got pretty creative covering up my mistakes. : P "
That's an excellent suggestion for an exercise. It trains you to not look back or second guess, as well as the skill of fixing as you work rather than depending on post work. 
I'm tempted now to try making an image and refusing to use the ' undo' until it's done, this should be fun.
DavidR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DavidR
@tonis: I still find myself using a form of that method, I am able to draw super rough and loose pencils for my basic guide and reading through and between the lines with my inks. Pushes me to try and make less mistakes with my final inks instead of relying on my pencils for most of the support, makes it more fun not knowing what the finished product will be. Guidelines are there but the end product can be rewarding at times.